In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Help me pick a pruning saw

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by rusty ranger 44, Apr 12, 2021.

1. rusty ranger 44

rusty ranger 44

Something that will cut limbs that are 2-3 “. Also, I’m looking for suggestions that you all have.
    I’m looking for high quality piece of equipment for a good price,

2. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

For a hand saw ?

I have a Silky , I think it is a zubat ( sp ? )

Not the cheapest as far as cost but it is crazy as far a cutting edge. Razor sharp !!

Cold Trigger Finger and EODMSgt like this.
  3. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

I can send Mrs PMM over, she's good at hackin limbs off trees with various instruments.:cool:
    Highest quality
    Not cheap

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  4. rusty ranger 44

rusty ranger 44

what I have may require some climbing

5. Wolley

Wolley

I have a 13 or 14 inch corona pruning saw. Bought on Amazon about 10 years ago. It has held up well. I prune apple trees and trails with it. You can buy a matching hard plastic sheath that you can hang on your belt for climbing trees.

6. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I have the Silky Gomtaro and Bigboy 2000 that I purchased back when I was doing trail maintenance for the Appalachian Mountain Club. As you said, they aren't cheap but they go through just about anything. I was working in an area of the national forest where chainsaws are not allowed so everything had to be done by hand. I remember cutting through 12+ inch downed trees with those.

Cold Trigger Finger and buzz-saw like this.
  7. lukem

lukem

I have a Silky Gomboy I use for pruning fruit trees and shaping smaller trees I have planted. Also use it for trimming tree stand locations, shooting lanes, etc. I like the folder style for hunting instead of the scabbard style. One less thing to drop out of a tree/lose.

Silky stuff is top notch pro quality. Can't go wrong with it.

8. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Definitely get a Silky Bigboy. It will go right through 2-3” limbs. It holds its own against logs that are much bigger.

They are expensive. Tools for Trails | Trail Building Tools & Accessories Tends to have really good sales on them a few times a year if you have time and patience. I suggest you get a replacement blade and have it on hand.

88D74DF6-E9CC-4CEA-B2A0-7A88E62B3FD5.jpeg

9. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

On my climbing saddle I have the 13" Samurai Itchiban(Incredible) in Japanese.
    And it is !
    I was using a Samurai Heavy Duty and liked it . @ 25$ and it comes with a sheath . I think it cuts as fast as the Itchiban. Which cuts as fast as the Silky Ibuki.
    I have the Silky Big Boy folder. In a leather belt sheath. I keep it in my work pack. I use it mostly for cutting bent over trees and limbs in peoples roads, driveways and yards that get in the way of my garbage truck or want to tear my mirrors or blinky light off. It gets a good amount of use when winter comes or for new customers.
    I have also split a caribou with it and taken the ribs off a moose .
    It's a Very good saw and folds up pretty small considering it has a 14" blade.
    I don't prefer it for arborist work ( on my saddle) as its kinda too much in the length department. Also the blade is fairly flexable which means u have to run the saw real true to the cut. Reaching around the far side of a tree limbing with 1 hand is more challenging than with the Heavy Duty or Itchiban.
    All the saws I have are very aggressive and of course sharp.
    They excel at hoggin off limbs in a hurry.
    For pruning fruit trees I think they are too aggressive and would try a saw with the next level finer tooth count.
    The saws I use take off a 2" diameter spruce limb in 4 or 5 strokes . aspen limbs in 3 to 4 strokes.
    For hard dry willow they are too course but will get the job done.

EODMSgt and PA Mountain Man like this.