In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Heavy-duty 4-wheel wagon?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Jon_E, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Jon_E

Jon_E

I want to buy a wagon for hauling firewood and other stuff around the yard. When I was a kid there were always little red four-wheel wagons around, I'm looking for an adult version that is heavy-duty and multi-purpose. We use our shed for a lot of off-season storage and it's about 200 feet from the house, my wife is always complaining about going to the shed and having to carry things back, I think it would help her a lot. Plus my kids and I could use it for moving small quantities of firewood, maybe get them outside more and busy.

Any recommendations on a high-quality heavy-duty wagon? Price is not too relevant, I want something that's going to last me many years.

2. Bret Hart

Bret Hart

HDRock, Star Gazer, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  3. ironpony

ironpony

there are several available similar to the one posted above. No experience with them though. Not sure how much property you have but an older cheap golf cart works well and will get the kids outside.

4. bassJAM

bassJAM

I've seen similar one's like Bret posted with steel cages instead of plastic, but I bet the plastic is probably better in the long run.

Personally, after hauling firewood a similar distance with a wheelbarrow for the first 2 years I "invested" in a older garden tractor and wagon for about $500 to haul my firewood with. Call me lazy, but it's made my life easier.

5. yooperdave

yooperdave

I bought this one a few years back (3?). It is rated for 1400lbs. I don't know what would happen to it if it had half of that amount in it! I bought it for brush and leaves and it works ideal for that. Then, I started using it for hauling bundles of firewood. No problems, but the firewood bundles were dry basswood; not too heavy at all. I did place some boards along the bed of the wagon for added strength while under load. The cart is tippy also but nothing that prohibits its use throughout your yard....just really tippy through the uneven ground in the woods. Upon assembling, I bought a couple nylon washers and put them on the tongue where it pivots to steer the wagon while pulling it. Otherwise, it would have seized up and become nearly impossible to steer. The wire mesh on the cart is also flimsy; as you would expect.
    In looking back, I am glad I have it but I would not put the weight rating any where near 1400 lbs!

I think you would like this one based on your needs. I signed up for their e-mail stuff and ended up getting a coupon for $20 off. Paid 80 for it.

Strongway Jumbo Wagon — 48in.L x 24in.W, 1,400-Lb. Capacity | Hand Pull Wagons| Northern Tool + Equipment

6. tigeroak

tigeroak

7. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

I have thishttp://stores.clamoutdoors.com/hd-1500-ta.html model here. Its very solid and navigates well over objects with the floating tandem axle. Two carts full with rail kit fills a 1/2 ton pick-up.

Horkn likes this.
  8. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

9. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

Sorry for the linking error Jon_E I realize this may be over-kill for what you require but they have many other options and I wanted to share that I have been well pleased with the parent companies customer service dept.-FYI

Star Gazer and Horkn like this.
  10. XXL

XXL

I use one like this for work like hauling outboards and other equipment around the shop. Good hand wagon and hauls a lot. My only issue is that every time I go to use it, the tire pressures are low. I need to fix this.

HDRock and Star Gazer like this.
  11. capetownkg

capetownkg

HDRock, Gasifier, Beetle-Kill and 3 others like this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Those wagons can be very handy indeed. The only thing I would caution is get the one with the fattest tires. Narrow tires on lawns make it pull hard and if a little bit soft, like in sand, it can dig in. Also, wider is better than narrow in the bed of the wagon. Nice if you can pull either by hand or with lawn mower or small tractor.

HDRock, Star Gazer and Horkn like this.
  13. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

Lowes is MUCH cheaper than Home Depot, not sure why but it was like 300. less at Lowes, plus free ship to the store on the Polar and 2 of the smaller ones are Lowes exclusives-the rail kit makes a big payload difference-I got those and the ball hitch receiver from Amazon open box, both were cheap and flawless

14. Star Gazer

Star Gazer

I have two different garden carts I use and really, both work well. The Gorilla Cart is great for gravel, dirt and small loads of whatever. But the Garden Cart or utility wagon as it is sometimes called works well for loading up the chainsaws and other tools for tree work. When it's time to move firewood this is the one I use. I also use it for wood chips and the like (with a tarp draped into it) as well as garden work. A plus is the side can fold down or can be removed all together. For all around hauling these have done well.The Gorilla Cart I've had for 5 years and the Garden Cart I've had for about 4 years. Both have been abused extensively and are holding up.

So if your buying for the woman in your life, these should fit the bill. They're relatively easy to handle and low to no maintenance. The tires do require air but a bicycle pump can bring them up to where they need to be.

The 600# Gorilla dump Cart 36x20:
    gorilla-cart.jpg

And the 1000# Garden Cart 24x48:
    garden cart 2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  15. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I have one of the garden carts that I use for hauling firewood into the garage from my stacks outside. I have had it two years and no complaints. I did how ever put some of the no flat stuff in the tires so that they would not loose air. That seems to be a problem with the smaller tires for some reason. I had to do my wheel barrow also.

16. Horkn

Horkn

I'll be buying a cart like this fairly soon.

The gorilla cart looks to be the front runner for my needs. Small enough to go on the shed and for the wife to use easily, but big enough to be used behind the ATV.

How stabile are these with a load of wood though? There's 2 spots on my land that have a couple degrees of side angle. Nothing drastic, just a consideration I have to take.

Backwoods Savage and Ashwatcher like this.
  17. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

HDRock and Backwoods Savage like this.
  18. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

19. Star Gazer

Star Gazer

Although I like my little Gorilla Cart, the next size up might be a better option for you Horkn . The one listed by capetownkg since your interested in stability on slopes and pulling it with a garden tractor.
    http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Carts...1582&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=gorilla+cart&psc=1

The 2nd option would be the one listed by Bret Hart due to the wheel base. A plus would be the tubular construction which would make it even more durable.
    GroundWork 1500 lb. Heavy Duty Dump Cart - For Life Out Here
    Wider is always better.

I'm pretty sure I could handle either just pulling it myself, so they could do the job for all y'all, including your wife. If you don't overload them, they are all rather stable, even the ones I own.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  20. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

If it helps- The Gorilla Cart I ordered for the wife - # GOR6PS. That's the newer version of the tried-n-true models. About $140 on Amazon.

Horkn, HDRock, TurboDiesel and 2 others like this.