In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Heatilator PS 50 Issue

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by vtktm802, Oct 13, 2020.

1. vtktm802

vtktm802

Advice needed please, having a issue after start up. Auger will feed and ignite and goes out. Hit reset
    and would run fine about a week ago. Stove and vent system are clean. I have checked the door gasket.
    Jumped out the vacuum switch, hopper lid switch. Cleaned auger tube. Did a continuity check on
    the snap disks. Call light stays on red, thermostat seems ok.
    I have not bench tested the auger but it seems to be good on start up, might I have a bad control
    board ?, also have installed a new thermocouple which was after market. Unit is going into yr 5
    of service. Thanks

jtakeman and imacman like this.
  2. imacman

imacman

Just based on what you said, sounds like it's not seeing fire (temp) after start-up. Is that what the thermocouple is supposed to do? Was the unit unplugged all summer?

jtakeman and vtktm802 like this.
  3. vtktm802

vtktm802

It was unplugged but ran ok a week or so ago. Did a Continuity check on thermocouple, tested ok.

4. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

On the thermocouple, you'll need to check for millivolts once its unhooked and you apply heat to it.

Have you reseated the control board yet?

I have a spare board on hand that I'd gladly send you to try out before you go buying a new one.

5. JZM2CC

JZM2CC

I'm assuming the LED within the control module is not turning green and then red when thermocouple reaches it the millivolts needed for steady operation. Check to see if thermocouple is fully seated in ceramic cover. I've seen bad new thermocouples before, even seen one with reversed polarity (put out good millivolts but not right polarity, assume connectors were installed incorrectly) so stove would never run beyond initial pellet feed.

jtakeman, imacman and vtktm802 like this.
  6. vtktm802

vtktm802

Thanks to both for advice, yes I have reset the board and will do the same and flame out. Board will stay red , no yellow or amber for thermo issue. I am waiting for a oem thermocouple to arrive that I found a deal on.
    Vender said they have had a run of bad aftermarket ones like I purchased. I have rechecked the ceramic cover and all connections. Slvrblkk thanks for the offer.

jtakeman, imacman and slvrblkk like this.
  7. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Yes...I know there was a bad run on the aftermarket thermos, hopefully you get the replacement and you're good to go.

8. vtktm802

vtktm802

Indeed, I'll put up a post when it gets resolved. I hope.....

jtakeman, slvrblkk and imacman like this.
  9. vtktm802

vtktm802

Green light on, fire in the hole folks. Installed a oem thermal after work. Defective aftermarket thermal. Jeez after 25 yrs in the HVAC field ya think I should have know better. :doh:
    Ah well life is good again. I guess oem parts is the way to go on these little pigs. Maybe just my chit luck.
    Snow in the Mts. tomorrow night. Wait a minute I am in the Mts.... :rofl: :lol:
    Sometimes us ole farts aren't so smart.....

10. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Good deal!!! Glad it worked out! :banana:

I've used both oem and aftermarket....I must have lucked out as I haven't run into any issues yet ***fingers crossed***

11. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator