In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hearthstone Stove: New to me

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Rothk, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Rothk

Rothk

Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while but I just got a new place with this Hearthstone stove and about 5.5 cord. We are using it for supplemental heat to bring the electric bill down. I think it is EPA with no cat - I have a picture below to help ID it. Do any of you know which model it is or have any pointers on operating it efficiently? Trying to get the most BTUs I can out of it. Thanks, as always I appreciate your advice!

IMG_3100.jpg

Buzz Benton, Camber, Ohio and 3 others like this.
  2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I’m guessing a Manchester; I’m guessing it’s about 2.4 cubic foot fire box.

Rothk, Camber, Ohio and 2 others like this.
  3. moresnow

moresnow

Does it have a tag on the back?

I'd plug in a humidifier if I really wanted to alter my M/C in the air. Most of what that cast steam pot will accomplish is to discolor/stain your high dollar soapstone stove top.

Rothk, Camber, Ohio and 3 others like this.
  4. Highbeam

Highbeam

Too small to ge a Manchester and those have duck feet. That looks like a heritage. I pushed 30 cords through one. It’s just over 2 cubic feet and the side door is much nicer to use than the front.

redline on that stove is 550 stovetop. Maybe it’s 600 but I always stayed under 550 for a margin of safety. Pretty cool, not like a steel stove at 800.

mine worked great and looked great. Not very efficient, not durable, and slow to warm up but it looks great and delivered the heat.

Rothk and Buzz Benton like this.
  5. Rich L

Rich L

I'd put a pipe damper in.I find if I turn the damper towards the wall more heat flows from the front of the stove.The damper will also extend the burn time.I'd also put one of those fabricated heat shield sheets behind the stove to keep those blocks from absorbing the heat off the stove.

Rothk likes this.
  6. Rich L

Rich L

One other thing. The handle on that ash door doesn't look as tight as it should be.I never use my ash door.I filled it with sand.Otherwise it allows lots of air to get into the firebox and burns the wood too fast.So mine stays closed and blocked off.

Rothk, Sandhillbilly and moresnow like this.
  7. Buzz Benton

Buzz Benton

Rothk,

Here is the manual for that stove.

Advice? Yes. That manual states the top can go to 600 degrees, so go ahead and push it full of wood and control the burn using the air controls rather than the amount of wood - provided all your seals are good. Use thermometer, don't guess!

In my opinion that is the prettiest stove ever made, a Hearthstone Heritage. Here's one just listed near me.

It is only rated at 55,000 BTU's, thus the O/P's probable issue, but with all the features I think it's a great stove. Wish I needed it!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Rothk and Sandhillbilly like this.
  8. Highbeam

Highbeam

I owned that heritage in black. Happily sold it when the horrible hinges and latches (non replaceable without full tear down) wore out. Soft cast iron, hard steel hinge pins and latch.

It’s a pretty stove, performs as promised. Not durable, not efficient, and slow to warm up.

But man, it was a good looker.

9. Rothk

Rothk

Thanks for the advice guys. I’m not surprised the latches are a point of failure - they don’t seem very robust. Like I said, I kinda fell into this one so I will run it until it breaks and then get a stove of my choice when the time comes. Happy burning!

10. Hoytman

Hoytman

This what what makes forums so great. You would never hear of these things from a dealer.

However, my dealer had one of these in the showroom with a broken latch from the factory and it took Hearthstone a few years before they would honor fixing it for the dealer, according to the dealer. Have no idea if any of that is true, but I seen the stove and the latch was broken. They say they are not a simple repair.

Rothk, Buzz Benton and Ohio like this.
  11. Highbeam

Highbeam

But boy did it look good.

Hearthstone is a big company and surely smart enough to improve their designs over the years along with entirely new stoves so maybe the current products are better. Just be sure to check and not be all overwhelmed by their pretty face.

Rothk, Sandhillbilly and Buzz Benton like this.