In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

HD's Green Supremes anyone?

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Tullytown, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Tullytown

Tullytown

At least you can see ' some' of the fines right away...:dex: I somewhat doubt they are all like that whatever flavor that is but i dont buy from HD so wouldnt know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    T.Jeff Veal, eatonpcat and wildwest like this.
  2. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

In all fairness, that bag looks like it got wet. It looks like swollen pellets on the bottom left.

eatonpcat, PelletHound and wildwest like this.
  3. Tullytown

Tullytown

Could be...

4. PelletHound

PelletHound

That's a wet bag for sure.

5. bogieb

bogieb

I vote for wet also.

6. Skier76

Skier76

I’m closing in on burning 6 tons of these pellets between last season and this season. That’s a lot of fines! As others have said, probably a moisture issue. I’ll typically see some fines at the bottom of the bag, but not that many.

slvrblkk likes this.
  7. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Agree. TSC here has them, have a ton in the basement thanks to my good friend and brother Keith Babcock getting them for us while my back has been out this season.
    Nothing like pictured, but that’s because they’re stored in the dry. Now- RK last season had the same, but outside- had to be real choosy when loading up.
    Still ended up with some popcorn pellets. :confused:

eatonpcat and slvrblkk like this.
  8. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

I just finished my last ton, and finest, dust, and a good thing I have a Harman with the chickens I got.

bogieb likes this.
  9. Russell

Russell

So I’ve been buying LGs this year at 7.75 a bag but very happy with the performance. Occasionally they’ll give me a little discount but eventually I always end up with some GS just because they’re easy to find and 6.5 a bag. So how are they burning this year?

bogieb likes this.
  10. bogieb

bogieb

Mine are super ashy. Don't get me wrong, they give decent heat - as good as or slightly better than the MWPs I normally run. I don't remember burning any pellets that gave this ridiculous amount of ash. But my memory is short and I've been burning mainly MWPs for the last 4 years or so, so the NEWPS or Currans I used to burn might have been on par.

I cleaned my stoves over the weekend. Last cleaning was 3 weeks ago. In that time I've used 47 bags between my two stoves. Even the P61a ash bin was completely full (and I stirred the ashes at least once to make them settle).

BUT, I paid less than $200/ton for them last spring, so I'm fine with them.

ttdberg, Russell, Softwood and 3 others like this.
  11. figor

figor

Are these Lignetics Green Supreme? I saw some the other day and thought about getting some since Menards has switched from Somerset to some brand I’ve never even heard of before and raised the price $1.50 more a bag.

bogieb and Russell like this.
  12. Russell

Russell

Yes the hardwood. I have to be honest I’m pleased, the ash is average and seems to blow out of my burn pot which is what I want. The heat is good and at 6.5 a bag and easy access from HD I’m going to run with them awhile.

13. bogieb

bogieb

The "local" HD (30 miles away in Concord, NH) had Allegheny Mountain HW pellets yesterday when I stopped by. I've only seen the northeast blend there, so picked up 5 bags to try out. Yes, expensive at $6.58/bag. But TBH, that is still 40 cents less per bag than the local hardware store was getting for NE GS last year.

Green Supreme Allegheny Mountail pellets sku code-sm.jpg

Green Supreme Allegheny Mountail pellets-sm.jpg

Since the P43 needed pellets (I use the term need loosely as it still had over a bag in the hopper), I dumped a bag of Allegheny in there. Seems to be more dust than the Northeast blend, but 1 bag a trend does not make. And my stove doesn't care about dust, so not really worried about it.

14. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

B whenever you get a to burn a sufficient amount of those GS Allegheny’s to form an opinion, I would like to hear how you would compare them to the GS Northeast Blend especially with respect to ash output, not quantity - but how rapidly it accumulates in the burn pot.

will711, Russell and bogieb like this.
  15. bogieb

bogieb

I'll do that

will711 and Russell like this.
  16. will711

will711

I've burned both this year , and in the past . I find the Ag's are more ashy . The Ne's seem to have a higher content of soft wood and IMO burn cleaner , both keep the house warm , and they are the best deal in town :cheers:

PelletHound, Skier76, ttdberg and 3 others like this.
  17. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Thanks brother.
    :coldone:

bogieb and will711 like this.
  18. Tullytown

Tullytown

Not to hog here but have not burned these for yrs.. Remember they did have coarse ash. Anyone use recently? Just grabbed a ton. Haven't burned hardwoods since 2017.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    bogieb likes this.
  19. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer

I have burned 2 tons of them this year
    Just picked up a 3rd ton last week.
    All cost me $308 a ton each.
    #1 was Allegheny Mountain Hardwood
    #2 was Northeast Blend
    #3 is Allegheny Mountain Hardwood again

I like the Allegheny best of these batches. Both are just OK nothing great. Both have average ash. The Allegheny seem to have more heat output in my stove.
    Also burned a junk pallet of Still Rivers I grabbed cheap at Walmart last spring for $100. They worked good for shoulder season.

Good Luck,
    ---Nailer---

20. bogieb

bogieb

The Allegheny's are ridiculously hot, especially for being GS. The Northeast Blend, using my admittedly unscientific method of determining heat output, is about 245*. The Allegheny Mountain HW are running at just below 300*. I could tell that these were burning hotter than the NE blend just by standing in front of the stove, I just had no idea how much warmer. This is in a completely dirty stove that I will need to clean this weekend.

green supreme Allegheny Mountain temperature.jpg

For comparison, the hottest pellets that I took temps from were Cubex, Fusion Blend (by Lauzon) and La Crete. I will say, my stoves really seem to like a good HW, which some people do not have the same experience.

The ash output (and retention in the pot) is about the same as the Northeast blend, which I find a bit on the heavy side compared to MWP's.