In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Has anyone tried these things?

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Backwoods Savage, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Ozone scent eliminator.jpg
    Danged things are really expensive but some say they work better than anything. Is it worth the cost? Are there any health hazards?

2. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

What is it? I see ozone, it one of those things that charges the ions in the air?

3. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Ok I looked it up, a scent eliminator.

4. bocefus78

bocefus78

The most hardcore hunter I personally know uses one. He is a cameraman for a professional hunter so he very well may be getting them for free from sponsors of the show if that matters.
    They tow an enclosed trailer with gear in and they run that thing in the trailer aka scent free room.

Ozone when used in the right amounts is harmless.
    People use them in fire and flood restoration as scent elimantors.

Dennis for what those companies charge, you can get a professional quality full sized residential sized unit.

5. Backwoods Savage

They are expensive. They also make small versions of them for use in a car or truck and even make a little closet with a small unit to de-scent the clothing.

I've been thinking about these for a couple years but just have not done so yet nor have I found anyone who uses them. That is the reason for the post.

Flatlander Pete likes this.
  6. savemoney

savemoney

Denis, I would caution you about using them while you are in the same space. Ok to use while you are not there and after you allow the space to air out. Otherwise they present a potential hazard.
    Ozone Generator Hazards - InterNACHI

7. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

I am a huge opponent to these chemistry sets...

1.) the ones marked for hunting are so over priced its unreal. Case in point, google the scent crusher bag, then google ozone fruit cleaner... Its the same unit and a duffle bag.. You could build your own, probably with a better duffle bag but the same ozone generator for less than 1/2 what they charge.

2.) ozone is extremely destructive gas... All you have to do is google ozones effect on different materials. It will literally eat most fabrics alive.

3.) Ozone is O3... Its one extra particle than O2... Now... What happens if you put something slightly damp in front of one, or in a bag/closet... H2O2... Or hydrogen peroxide, and its an extreme bleaching agent, and when not diluted is poison as well.

4.) As for the effects on our lungs?? Its hard to say.. It would depend on the concentration of the O3 you inhale... However, if O3 is strong enough to eat thru metal, do you want it being inhaled?

Now for the idea of using them hunting.... Whats next, heat seeking arrows? They are already starting to use FLIR(thermal imaging)... Do we really need to use a gas generator to feel better about harvesting an animal? When do we say the idea is to beat them at their own game, by not manipulating their main defense... I get it, some people arent good, they dont hunt the wind, they dont pay attention to entry and exits... So instead of learning they buy a machine that gasses off to mask the natural bacteria we have that the deer can sense by being down wind?

Its okay to loose... Thats why huntings fun..

Sorry for my rant, I just dispise the over commercialization of hunting the last few years, and these gadgets are just bonkers, and dangerous in all honesty.

8. badbob

badbob

You can purchase a small one from ebay(made in china),that works well.I have one.Being a mechanic,they have been being used for years,is the only thing to finish removing cigarette smell/odor from cars(after steam cleaning).They work very well,used properly.They are destructive,to rubber and some plastics(hence,used properly).They also have found(medical research) certain types of breathing problems can be helped,with proper usage.They have a limited affect on bedbugs,but are known to kill certain other bugs.They are known for making some molds dormant.Go to any car detailing place,they will have them.Contact any place that does water or smoke damage cleanup,they have them.The little ones are useless.The american made ones are grossly overpriced,as they all have china parts in them,except, the heavy use ones,made for the car and cleanup industry,they are great.A 70 dollar or less,unit off ebay is awsome.Last time I used mine,was to remove the mouse smell from one of my winter trucks,after cleaning the truck,you could still smell pee,in sunlight,warm days.It cured that.buy one of the cheap ones,use it in a small room/closet to remove smells.

9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Idk, (granted my husband hunts differently than others, treks miles into the mountains for days at a time) and OMG on unseasonably warm archery seasons ummmm, every living thing could smell him a mile away :rofl: :lol: No, he's never used one, though I don't use dryer sheets on his hunting clothes.

I bought an older bigger plug in unit from a defunct chiropractors office years ago, used it for the washable air filter (new and cool back then), but I was so grateful we had the ozone option after a skunk got into a rat trap in our crawl space under the house. I was ready to make an insurance claim it was so bad. I did room by room with the ozone option while we stayed in the camper over night. It worked better than I thought, smelled a kinda metallic'ish to me afterwards, but grateful our house was livable again!!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  10. Boogeyman

Boogeyman

Interesting yes, I have a friends who are into all the gadgets and use them. For myself I am going backwards with technology in my hunting equipment. For clothing I only wash my clothes in baking soda and shower in unscented soap, then I walk through the creek and get some mud on my boots and that's it.
    I have been successful with this method and don't seem to have deer winding me, and the name of the game for me is getting as close as I can.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

But of course...for you are the boogeyman! ;)
    :rofl: :lol:

12. Lucy

Lucy

I just ordered these VIVOSUN 2-PACK Plug-In Mini Ionic Air Purifier Ozone Generator - Portable Odor & Bacteria Eliminator, Adjustable Efficiency 10-50mg/h $52.69
    Not for hunting but the house. Wet dogs and cat litter etc. Just to run them occasionally not all the time. They arrive today so can't tell you yet what they will do. Can't see them being more harmful than all those stinky sprays to cover things up.

13. Backwoods Savage

Thanks Lucy that might be worth something indeed.

Can anyone tell me what this means? "Range of 10-50mg/h, fit for different environment; Includes a performance indicator light."

bocefus78 likes this.
  14. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

What was your reason for considering this, just to unhuman scent your hunting jacket/ clothing?

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  15. bocefus78

bocefus78

It's adjustable as to the milligrams per hour of ozone it puts out for different sized rooms or spaces. 50mg/ hour in a small coat closet would be overkill for example.

The performane indicator is what us Americans call a power light

Those are Chinglish directions Lol

16. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

17. Backwoods Savage

Yup, sort of what I thought but really did not know for sure on the mg/h thing. Thank you.

wildwest likes this.
  18. Backwoods Savage

Yes. However I am concerned because of the possible bad effects of ozone.

saskwoodburner likes this.
  19. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

I've heard of people putting their clothing in a loose bag or hamper with pine boughs. Maybe that would be enough of a scent thrower?

20. Backwoods Savage

You can do that. But then to a deer, it smells like a man in a pine tree. But I still do that and I also put carbon dust in with most of the clothing and the boots.

wildwest and saskwoodburner like this.