In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Harman P series combustion blower

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by nitro-fish, Dec 16, 2019.

1. nitro-fish

nitro-fish

Has anyone tried a Fasco A172 (motor only) for use as a combustion motor replacement on the P series stoves? I have a friend that can get them for much less than the Harman replacement (OEM) combustion motors. I was thinking about having him pick one up, then comparing the overall size (again, motor only) to the original; rotation, shaft length, diameter etc. just to see if it will work I was just thinking it would be a decent replacement if it is the same; it would be a Fasco (also others use OEM part numbers of the same) and may last longer than the cheap Chinese replacements. I see the comments about the second fan not being needed on the combustion fan (found on the original), but I believe Harman started using the double fan to help with the heated environment in the original design. Thoughts?

ivanhoe, imacman and slvrblkk like this.
  2. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

That should work fine as long as the mount locations are in the same spots.

ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

You could be the first to try it and you would have a oiling option to boot :smoke:

imacman, jtakeman and slvrblkk like this.
  4. nitro-fish

nitro-fish

I still have the original combustion blowers in both of the P61's, but I'm told I tend to overkill on the yearly cleaning, they have the double fan motors (Jakel). The new ones don't have the double fan motors, they say it isn't needed anymore, but heat is only good to warm people in the winter time, not our stove parts. I'm sure a bean counter decided it would save money to go without the dual fan model (after all, the stove manufacturers cant make money on parts if they never need replacing), and that is the reason for the change. I recently purchased a P68 that has the same combustion motor, but it's starting to make noise already (stove is only 10 years old); the owner had receipts for a new igniter (oem), a new auger motor & auger (aftermarket from pellethead), a new distribution blower (oem) and a new flame guide (oem) so its only safe to say, its next to go. This stove definitely didn't get the yearly attention that my 61's do, but I have it cleaned up and ready to go now, lubed the comb blower & quited it down after a thorough cleaning, but want to be prepared for the worst. I may be the guinea pig on this one if nobody else has tried the Fasco.

I do have another strange issue on this stove (no test mode), but I'll start another thread for it. Harman P68 sm.jpg

eatonpcat, Luneyburg, ivanhoe and 3 others like this.
  5. subsailor

subsailor

I'm not aware that P61's had double fan motors. Mine doesn't.

imacman and ivanhoe like this.
  6. nitro-fish

nitro-fish

Looks like your P61A is a 2009, both of my P61's are older than yours, the P68 I just purchased is a 2008, all of my Harman's have the double cooling fan set-up on the Jakel motors: Combustion blower P61 sm.jpg

7. nitro-fish

nitro-fish

By the way subsailor, a FASCO A082 motor will work on your Englander when the time comes; I didn't use the housing, just the motor, same thing I'm going to try on the P68 with the A172 (use motor only, not housing), less expensive than the OEM and much better than the Knock-offs.

ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  8. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

My P68 is a 2008 as well. The combustion fan motor has been replaced once. Neither the original nor the new were double fan models, I didn’t even know there was such a thing until seeing this thread. It’s a Gleason Avery motor on mine.

9. Scot Linkletter

Scot Linkletter

My PB105 originally had a cooling fan on the ODE side of the motor just like that. I bought it in 2008. When I had to replace it, the Harman dealer said the new motors don't have it anymore.

jtakeman, imacman, slvrblkk and 2 others like this.
  10. nitro-fish

nitro-fish

Yep, that's what I've been told, one fan only now; I believe the old style to be better around heat of any kind (even though there's not as much on the backside of the stove), extra cooling is certainly better for lifespan, the single is cheaper for the stove manufacturer, just my opinion.

ivanhoe, slvrblkk, don2222 and 3 others like this.
  11. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

I just replaced my combustion motor this morning. My P61 is a 2010. No double fan here. I replaced it with the OEM Gleason Avery. Nothing wrong with it...I just figured it was time... Surprisingly the fan blade came off quite easily. Happy Holidays everyone.

badbob, ivanhoe, PelletHound and 3 others like this.
  12. subsailor

subsailor

I had to do mine this morning as well. It started making noises a week ago and was screeching pretty good by this morning. I was also able to get the set screw out of the impeller with little trouble but the impeller wouldn't come off the shaft. Ended up cutting it. Mine is a Gleason Avery OEM as well. Mine actually does have 2 fans. There is a small fan that sits outside of the stove that I assume is a cooling fan for the motor. I don't know if that is what Nitro was talking about of not.

badbob, ivanhoe, PelletHound and 2 others like this.
  13. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

09EDE8B1-C242-4605-9AC5-AB5B16A64740.jpeg
    Out with the old (left) in with the new (right)...

ivanhoe, subsailor, imacman and 3 others like this.
  14. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

I don't see a BFH..... :D

15. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

No BFH needed.......got lucky....

imacman, ivanhoe, slvrblkk and 2 others like this.
  16. nitro-fish

nitro-fish

Update: I didn't go the Fasco replacement route; I wound up replacing the bearings in the original Jakel motor. It is very easy to do (I did have to cut the fan blade off, but this would have been the case either way). I purchased a 10 pack of XiKe 608-ZZ Precision Bearings 8x22x7mm ($15) which are an exact fit, removed the motor & both cooling fans from each end of the motor (press fit), once the blades are off, you can split the motor & access the bearings. On mine only one was bad; the one closest to the stove, but I replaced them both which I would recommend anyway while in there. Reform the press fit of the cooling fans before reassembly (easily done with the correct size socket to press over the upturned edge). With the installation of the new bearings, the exhaust blower is as quiet as a church mouse!

don2222, ivanhoe, badbob and 7 others like this.
  17. badbob

badbob

Good stuff, although has been discussed before,but not on this site(snicker). The old JAKEL motors were almost indestructible, never "burned " up. Harman used them for many years. However, Harman has not used them for years. The cheaper motors work fine, in Harmans. I think, the quality of the older JAKEL's, is vastly superior,BUT, I also think(this is just what I have seen,over the years), they can tend to "drag", slow start, if the stove has been off, for a while. What happens is the bearing grease gets tight/stiff. In my opinion, this is also can cause a "poof, burn chamber "explosion". Then, after stove runs, is fine, for quite a bit. The newer cheaper motors,this would never happen, but will they last 30 years? My old harman still has the original JAKEL, and i have a spare, that I need to replace the bearings in. So, that is my 2 cents of thoughts/theory.

18. nitro-fish

nitro-fish

Might be my imagination, but I think the old ones are quieter too.

Ssyko, badbob, imacman and 1 other person like this.
  19. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

I am adding a comment here to state that I learned that I can immediately quiet down a Gleason-Avery
    Combustion Motor by oiling the outer bearing. I plan to start a new thread about what I did. This
    thread has a great deal of good information.