In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Harman Advance shutting down

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by cliffmac, Apr 16, 2019.

1. cliffmac

cliffmac

Hello,
    I have a strange occurrence lately that my stove is shutting down for no reason. I have cleaned inside and all the piping, it seems to run sometimes for hours and just shut off. It is showing 6 blinks which i understand as out of pellets but its not. I have tried to adjust the settings but still no improvement, it will run sometimes for 12 hours and out of nowhere shut off.

Strangely enough my buddy also has a Advance and he is complaining about the same thing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
    Thx Cliff

imacman and ivanhoe like this.
  2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

It could be bridging from long pellets, try switching to another brand!

imacman likes this.
  3. badbob

badbob

Need more info,such as was it running in room mode auto,etc----

ivanhoe, imacman and BHags like this.
  4. cliffmac

cliffmac

Hi Bob
    Both modes also makes a loud snap sound when ramping up. I just emptied the hopper this afternoon and found a lot of creole buildup on the slider plate, tore it down and cleaned as best as i could the slider plate was really buildup with creosole put it back together and its much quieter still getting a snap every once in a while. I see the chain jump, so I'm ordering sprockets and chain, and an auger.

Thx cliff

ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  5. badbob

badbob

OK. First off,you should never see any "creosote" or buildup,past 1-1.5 inches into the auger tube.Period.Sounds like this is an older stove?(before I comment more)

6. cliffmac

cliffmac

Hi Bob
    Yes this is a 2004 Advance 2

7. badbob

badbob

Um,you need to add the air bypass kit

8. cliffmac

cliffmac

Thx Bob

Stove still shutting down 6 blinks on the status light, tore down and cleaned vents, behind baffles took out ESP steel wooled that. Can't figure it out, new pressure switch couple of months ago runs for hours sometimes then other it shuts down in couple of hours.

Scratching my head
    Cliff

9. unbidden

unbidden

Be sure the shoot at the bottom of the hopper is completely clear. My 52i will do this when there is a blockage.

10. cliffmac

cliffmac

You know you are probably closest to the truth, i emptied the hopper and pulled the slide plate and it was gummed up like sticky creosole. I put it all back together with small amount of pellets and now the auger runs but hardly any pellets come into the firepot. So that tells me that there is a jam between the slide plate and the auger tube. Like no pellets are dropping into the tube, so i guess my only access is thru the auger tube, which i will pull. My question is whats the best way to get from the auger tube up to the bottom of the hopper. And what items to clean it out.

Sorry for the story
    Cliff

11. badbob

badbob

Stop,slow down,do some research,use the search box above.If you found "gummy" on the slide plate,you were not far from a hopper fire.Pull the auger.Pull the fines cover,and slide plate.You then can clean everything(I did not say it would be easy).Your stove is the prime example why Harman came out with the Air Bypass Kit.Not all older stoves needed it,because of wood pellet quality,across the country,but is recommended for all older certain Harman stoves.Water and mild soap works well,for "runny".Hard crust(auger tube) a hone or light sandpaper works well.

ivanhoe likes this.
  12. cliffmac

cliffmac

Thx Bob,

Going at it this morning will update
    still chilly here in upstate NY

ivanhoe likes this.
  13. cliffmac

cliffmac

Well here is the update, i think the photos will say it all. It took a lot of cleaning but the air bypass is in and a new auger and many hours of scrapping spraying and making some home made tools to complete the job. You where right Bob a lot of hours and no it wasn't easy. Thx again for you advice IMG_2680.JPG IMG_2669.JPG IMG_2670.JPG IMG_2673.JPG

badbob, ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

That was way overdue, glad you took the time to troubleshoot it:D
    I would of hate to seen it left unattended any longer o_O

badbob and imacman like this.
  15. smwilliamson

smwilliamson

It's been a while since I've seen a gummy stove scenario, here's some helpful info regarding Harman 6 blink error codes. There is no one sensor that trips the Harman controller into a 6 blink error. Basically, according to the logic programming of the controller, the stove knows that certain temperature thresholds should be met given any particular feed rate and 25-minute call for heat duration. It's not always gummy stove that triggers this and the stove wouldn't know that anyway as there is no oxygen sensor, just a thermocouple. The first place I always go when I get a 6 blink is the fines cleanout box. If the cover for this is not seated and closed properly, 6 blink. Secondly, if the vent is full of water at a T connection or 90° bend in a liner, 6 blink.

16. corkman

corkman

Well hello there Scott. Longtime no talky. Hope all is well

badbob, imacman and ivanhoe like this.
  17. badbob

badbob

Nice pics.That was very bad.I think you will also find less carbon buildup in the burn pot,with the air bypass.Also,if you have the original control board,the latest board,in my experience,burns cleaner,but a little more heat loss from the stove.

18. cliffmac

cliffmac

Well thx Bob,
    I may look into getting a new board, how will know that the board is an upgrade? Any certain number, style etc?
    Anyways after i did the cleanup, new auger and the air kit it is burning Much! better my flame guide used to buildup after a couple of days and actually push itself away from the metal brick, its 110% better than it was!!

Thx Again
    Cliff

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

And your buddy?
    Happy to hear on the beneficial improvements :thumbs:

imacman likes this.
  20. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

After you pulled the auger, did you look inside the feeder (yea, I know, tough to to), and ensure that the gumminess was cleaned out of the inside as well? What ends up happening is that the gum forms a matrix inside the feeder of gum and unburned pellets....then pellets falling from the end of the slide plate and onto the auger are impeded by the mess inside the feeder. You might have done this, I just don't know. Its a pain to get the stuff out!