In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Handle Savers

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by rusty ranger 44, Dec 30, 2020.

1. rusty ranger 44

rusty ranger 44

Hello All
    I'm looking for your ideas on what to use for saving my splitting maul and single and double bit axe handles. Ive considered using leather, thin sheet metal or just wrapping the handle with some cheap black electrical tape. What works best for you.

2. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

I think there thick rubber slip on cushions that work well. Not sure where folks are sourcing those, though.
    This is what I use. Lifetime Warranty!!! FISKARS X25

Dakota Hoarder and Screwloose like this.
  3. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

A few pictures.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

4. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

This seemed like a good idea to me.

5. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I tried several forms of tape, etc. and it helps, but the para-cord wrap is better, once you learn how to do it. However, I have gotten a lot of practice in this year, and most of mine don't have anything because I don't need it. I don't miss very often, and always be thinking about your strike point. And don't split across the round, hit the wood nearest to you, and it helps to find the right splitting axes, mauls with the right handles that are easy to be accurate with. For me personally, I find round handles, and single bit curved handles to be about the worst handles for accuracy. A straight handle in you single bit ax or a good heavy double ax works better, and my best splitting maul is an old vintage one, I bought off of ebay that takes a single bit ax handle. I use a straight handle in it. It's much more accurate then any of my other spitting mauls.

walt and Farmchuck like this.
  6. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

Here is something I did to one of my mauls. It would be really hard to split this handle.

[​IMG]

Ohio, MikeInMa and Ronaldo like this.