In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Handle Protectors

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by JW IN VA, Jan 4, 2020.

1. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

I've been reading about them some and they seem like a great idea.The high end European aves and maul have them from the factory.
    I've see videos on rope and epoxy wrapping and metal forming.Both look good but I'm not very experienced with metal shaping.
    I'm thinking of a leather wrap on my new CT 8lb axe eye maul and rope or rubber collar on another sledge eye I have.
    Any experience and advice welcome

2. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I think that what ever you choose to put on there will help some. The metal would probably be best but anything would help.
    I have thought about using parachute chord and keeping it in place with epoxy. I have done some places on the handle where your hand needs a good grip that way.

3. A Visitor

A Visitor

I use Fiber Fix to protect the handles. Easy, no mess- very tough stuff. I sanded it down but on this maul, don't even bother anymore.
    [​IMG]

4. Midwinter

Midwinter

He's got me convinced...

Screwloose likes this.
  5. Midwinter

Midwinter

I found some at Lowe's for $6.99 a box. IMG_20200109_8731.jpg It was in the plumbing repair section. Very easy to use, as you said. I did my sledge handle, which had some splinters right below the sledge head. IMG_20200109_44397.jpg
    There was only enough material to wrap one tool. But the package said that once you open the sealed pouch, you have to use it right away.
    I really like how it came out, I think I'll get some more, for a few other handles.
    This is my favorite type of sledge. I don't like the modern ones that have this shape: IMG_20200109_51688.jpg
    They are lighter than the old-style 8 pound ones, and the strike surface is convex, so the impact feels sloppy.

6. A Visitor

A Visitor

Nice, I buy the wider roll and usually get a few handles out if each one.
    [​IMG]

7. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

On some of the newer sledge designs I have ground the face down some to get a more flat surface. Like you Midwinter I do not like that rounded surface.

Barcroftb and Midwinter like this.
  8. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    When I first started splitting by hand and was nowhere close to dialed in on targeting I used a hillbilly handle protector. I took a 8" chunk of old radiator hose and slid it on and taped it into place. Worked well and was easy to remove once my aim was dialed in and I was more confident.