In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hand Splitting today

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Born2Burn, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Having 2 log splitters and all the modern equipment is sure nice. I wouldn't be able to sustain the high volume of wood I consume without these tools. But from time to time when conditions are right, I like to grab the old maul and go to work.

It is very physical, yet relaxing and rewarding work. Its so nice to hear the sounds of the forest, the crack, and the splits of the wood rather than the drone of the splitter for once. The smell of the fresh wood rather than the exhaust and carbon monoxide. Its pleasing to see the pile grow as you swing away.

Today I'm picking away, rather quickly, at a perfectly straight, dead ash. Not too many things split easier than this around here.

Attached Files:

2. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Nice, when the weather is right. I'll do the same when I find some straight grain oak.

3. Certified106

Certified106

Nice Pile of splits and it looks like a great day

4. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Born2Burn I enjoy a bit of hand splitting now and then also. We burn a lot of Fir here in the NW. I Like to leave some larger, squareish, straight grained pieces in the stack. They help stabilize the stack and provide a bit of splitting time as I load the wheel barrow to take to the garage. I also split a bunch of kindling out of them. It breaks up the loading and wheeling. Makes for a pleasant diversion. Fortunately, the Fir is easy to split and also cures out fairly quickly even in large blocks.

5. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

That’s a good day for the woodpiles and for your mental well being. I always feel calmed down after I get a lot of hand splitting done. Sense of accomplishment maybe. Job well done.

6. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Nice work!! I agree 100%, I truly enjoy from time to time hand splitting. It's hard work but feels good and rewarding. I am curious to see how much I will burn this fall with the new insert, wondering if I can get away with just hand splitting. We shall see!!!

7. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Love splitting Ash! Almost always pops on the first swing.

8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Born2Burn you are exactly right as it can be great splitting wood by hand. I so wish I could do it again as I always loved to split wood. Well, maybe not so much when splitting elm...

9. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

OhioStihl(That’s a good day for the woodpiles and for your mental well being. I always feel calmed down after I get a lot of hand splitting done. Sense of accomplishment maybe. Job well done.) QUOTE

It's nice to get out the axe, some larger chunks , place one on the block and start thinking about the latest irritating thing my brother in law has done!:axe:........Did I say that out loud?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  10. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Or sweet gum and sycamore...:axe::stacker:

11. whitey

whitey

Spoken for the truth!!!

12. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

My brother splits all of his Ash by hand, he can do it much faster than with his splitter. I enjoy hand splitting, but I like certain sized/shaped splits that I get with the splitter.

13. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

I agree 100%. Being a noob to splitting wood am brutal with the maul and axe. My splits are straight up ugly at times, especially when I need a few cracks at it. Majority of splits coming from a splitter are just so much nicer. Cleaner shapes and sizes, easier to stack and in the end makes a prettier looking stack of wood!!!

14. rebelduckman

rebelduckman

The back can’t handle it like it used to but I’ll split a little ash or something straight every so often.

15. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I enjoy splitting by hand.. no hydros here yet.

But, not in this weather with 70+ dewpoints.

But, when the weather changes in September(no, not rushing summer), then I have about 2.5 cords of red oak to get after. It's for the 21/22 heating season.

IMG_20180213_092121625.jpg

16. Midwinter

Midwinter

The older it gets, the easier it splits. My 3 year old oak is not falling apart, but it cleaves very nicely. I try to do a little in the morning, or around 6PM. IMG_20180724_52470.jpg

17. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Am a complete novice but I find that to be true as well. Longer or older the rounds get the easier they are to split. Trying to split them green by hand is more difficult in my small sample of experience.

18. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Nice Rack! :rofl: :lol:

19. Midwinter

Midwinter

o0RGFZF.jpg

Chaz, ReelFaster, MikeyB and 2 others like this.