In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Half cord for $240

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Feb 3, 2021.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I was at the local feed store getting birdseed and they had a 4x4x4' cube of 16" splits for $240. I asked about delivery and they said $40 extra. It was on a pallet ready to be loaded with a forklift. I picked a couple out and it was hardwood from what i could see. I wonder how many folks actually buy it?

2. MFMc.

MFMc.

Funny thing is, that 1/2 cord represents enormous savings for those who buy by the bundle!

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

True! At least it was an accurate half cord.

4. Screwloose

Screwloose

My guess is they sell well enough. That's a lot of volume for a casual burner who's used to seeing the bundles at the store. A local landscape company has pallet loads lined up along the edge of the lot. People buy them and make multiple trips filling their trunk until its empty.
    I think someone would do well if they packaged wood in a convenient size and delivered it like a pizza. Sell your wood at gas station prices. Strike a deal with a local food delivery kid or two to also deliver your bundles wrapped in a "menu" of other items you peddle. Fire starters, kindling ,bulk orders, tweezers for when "man bun" gets a sliver.......

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I wholesale bundles to a few convenience stores and have put slicks in the bundles with no success. Ive had bundles on CL with minimal success. My $140 half cords sell okay. Lady three weeks ago was so surprised at how much it was she says "ive been getting ripped off for years"

6. farmer steve

farmer steve

One of the guys on a FB firewood sellers pages I'm on said he has been getting a $1 per stick the last week or so in TX.:bug:

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Wonder if that bundle seller from Texas is cleaning up? I think it was Woodshax

8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

That’s crazy money. I’d consider sellIng some of mine for that kind of cash.

9. MFMc.

MFMc.

I do strongly believe in a free market economy, however taking advantage of people in real need for warmth sickens my stomach.

10. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Youd be surprised, years ago i was at a gas station and a guy was loading a whole pallet of bundles in his truck

11. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Id start burning the kitchen table before i pay some of those prices. Thinking of people in Tx I took my snowshoes for a walk last night with my log sling and a folding saw, i was gone for 30 mins and got 4 hours worth of heat out of small diameter dead wood, lots of dead standing maple saplings. It was just a fun idea i had. It was work and feel for someone older/disabled that wouldnt be able to do that.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

sounds like what i do when her and i go camping. Ill spend a good amount of time wandering around looking for firewood. :loco: :crazy: :tree:

13. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

If someone wants to consistently charge high prices, I don’t have a problem with it. They may count on low volume, quality product and customer service. It is the people who jack up their prices on necessities during an emergency that seem to be taking advantage of the situation. But they will argue that the laws of supply and demand are at work. You don’t see the utility guys giving back their double or triple time checks they get for working during a storm on a holiday just because it’s the right thing to do so the rate payers don’t get screwed. Some people sell at a lower price and do large volume. Others do low volume at higher prices. Laws of supply and demand at work.

14. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

Last weekend I sold a half cord of oak for 175$ delivered about ten miles away, and 1/4 cord of oak for $100. Sometimes smaller quantity makes up for the extra stops etc.

15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Oh no you dint! tenor (3).gif

I'm laughing so hard my eyes are watering.
    :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

16. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

More than you think convenience is everything sooner or later amazon will be delivering firewood bundles :rofl: :lol: unfortunately all on this site are a small group of people who actually like to CSS and go out of our way to find firewood I for one would have never thought that you could package 1 cubic foot packages of firewood and get 6.99 a package and they sell it like crazy around here that is @890.00 a cord for wood so 240.00 a half is not to bad for those people :picard: JB

17. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

I never get slivers in my man bun? Its tied up under my hard hat:thumbs:.

18. tjenkinsmco

tjenkinsmco

I am new to this site so HI. I am a member at other sites too. I mostly do business around Lake arrowhead. So any one from Southern Cal would like to hear from. I am mostly a tourist destination situation. Right now decent Oak is in the $800 range for a cord. I am seeing other areas only get $400 or less unbelievable. I expect Oak to be a $1000 or more soon. Is not other areas seeing price increases. Thanks

billb3, Chazsbetterhalf, WESF and 4 others like this.
  19. tjenkinsmco

tjenkinsmco

A problem about a half a cord is it is not. I checked out wood on a pallet and discovered it is about a 1/4 cord with a few pieces extra. Not even close to a half a cord. When nI bundle softwood I plan on 6$ per bundle of 1 CF bundle. If not there is not enough funds to break even. Thanks

20. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Hello and welcome to the club!

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.