In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Had a gun fitted to me for the first time

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Sourwood, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Sourwood

Sourwood

I occasionally do sporting clays the way some get together for a round of golf. Had a temperamental Ruger Red Label that I finally sold it.

There is a local fellow who has been clay shooting and other gun stuff for decades. He is a Benelli armorer too. He offered to fit me if I decide on one.

I did the gunbroker boogie and bought a left hand M2 in cammo. I met with the gentleman and he factored in my "Scottsman shoulders", and had me do some pointing motions. The M2 has shims to cant the stock accordingly. We took it out and put it on paper. I can't wait to take it to the range. He said most folks can go from 50 birds to 80. He suspected I shot under my birds a lot with a right hand off the shelf gun.

He also talked about different manufacturers and the build of the men who made different shotguns. Told me it was pointless for me to get an old LC Smith to play with. My build would mean it wouldn't shoot worth spit for me.

One of those guys who has so much to share and a pleasure to spend time with.

2. bocefus78

bocefus78

I remember my first round of skeet with a "good" shotgun. It was some fancy over under my buddies had. I was used to a pump 870 and was surprisingly good with it. The fancy gun made all the difference in the world. I was dusting everything and it wasn't even fit to me as yours will be! Congrats! You'll love it.

3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

A wha?:confused:

4. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

I shoot clays occasionally. The guys who are really into it are rocking guns worth 8 to 12k. Some more. Yikes

5. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

It's not always the gun. ;)

stihl sawing likes this.
  6. fishingpol

fishingpol

What made the Ruger tempermental? Mechanical or did not fit right?

I shot a lot of skeet out of high school with a Winchester 1400, which was ok for me and I could shoot it well at the time.

The guys I shot with had Remington 1187's which I liked a lot and I shot a few rounds with them. They both bought Ruger Red Labels which shot very well and quick compared to the Winchester. I didn't have the cash to buy one of their 1187's.

One guy shot a .410 and smoked birds left and right. Maybe it was his cylinder with a tight pattern. I dunno, but his ability was impressive.

Can't wait to see the new one.

7. lukem

lukem

I remember the first time I borrowed a nice Benelli to bust clays. It was unreal how much better I shot that thing than my 870. Same barrel length, same choke size, same target loads.

Canadian border VT likes this.
  8. chbryson

chbryson

Usually if guys are going to shoot a Red Label for clays, they have the safeties disengaged because they are a pain to constantly kick off. In the long run, a Red Label will have some parts wearing and a rebuild may be in order down the road and typically it isn't worth putting a few hundred dollars into a $1000ish gun. That gun was designed as a hunting gun and so it is not really a shooter friendly gun with the stock dimensions and trigger pull as a clays gun. Usually anyone I have seen that started with a Red Label ends up dumping it after a while for a Browning or Beretta or a higher upgrade depending on how into the sport they get. The occasional ( couple times a year) shooter they won't see a consistent difference with anything, some days will be good some will be bad but they are just out to have fun

When you are looking at the $10,000+ guns also note the $50,000+ truck, the $20,000 golf carts Etc. Just like everything else, your hobby is only stunted by your bank account. It is amazing some of the pricing on things, and I am guilty of some of the things as well.

9. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

Ceaser Guerini USA importer is real close to me.. They are really popular in MD once past the B gun crowd. I dont own on yet... I keep looking and end up spending that cash on something else. There is a difference, difference enough Im willing to spend it. Im a B gun guy, I own several Brownings, and some very high end super posed, but there is something about the Ceaser lol...

10. Sourwood

Sourwood

Several years of production had a misfire issue that gunsmiths couldn’t fix. Roger offered a free fix if you shipped it to them. Replaced the firing pins and springs. I had such problems I mothballed mine for years. When I learned of the repair offer, Roger had discontinued the offer. Had it worked on again by an over under expert. Still no luck. About the third time taking it shooting, problem started again. I sold it at auction.

11. chbryson

chbryson

Seeing a lot of them coming and going in the trap circle. To me they seem a lot like the Blasers, they are an upgrade from the entry guns (Brownings Citoris/ 725 and Beratta 682's) but not quite to par with Perazzi, Kolars, or Kreighoffs. I have seen some guys try them and dump them after awhile and only a few locals are still shooting them. One guy has 3 so he can always have one running if there are issues that it needs returned for service, while he keeps his Perazzi combo is in the safe, don't quite understand that one but different strokes.

I suggest to guys looking to buy a CG to buy a used Perazzi or Kreighoff (I am a Perazzi guy and would never personally own a Kreighoff because of the complexity of the triggers but they are a pretty solid gun) for the same money and you know the gun will shoot and be able to be rebuilt for a lifetime and the resale value of a K or P gun is going to hold pretty stable where some of the other not so much.

They haven't been out for the amount of time as the K and P guns so the long term issues haven't been out in the open yet. I have a local distributor who is sponsored byt hem so of course he always talks them up. But he did the same while shooting a Kreighoff, Perazzi, Seitz, Blaser, Mach One, whatever gun is given to him to shoot will be the greatest until the next one comes along.

12. fuelrod

fuelrod

I was just talking with a neighbor just yesterday about how important a good "fit" is. I have a used $50 Rossi 22 rifle that is very hard on red squirrel's (small), and a 20ga single shot, Savage it think, from K Mart for iirc under $100 that the clay's have a very hard time escaping from. They just seem to "fit":thumbs:

TurboDiesel likes this.