In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gun range 2020 & beyond!

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Czed, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Warner

Warner

067222E8-30C2-4C50-9F7E-70E325EBC747.jpeg The boy should be happy with what he finds under the tree.

Slocum, Eric Wanderweg, XXL and 4 others like this.
  2. Marvin

Marvin

Very nice! What caliber? I was eyeing up a couple of 17hmr rifles today. 2 of them were savages. One was a single stack 5 shot with a bull barrel and the other was a 10 shot magazine. I think the 10 shot one may have had the barrel threaded. They were both laminate stocks.

I may grab one next week for him. He got a ruger 10-22 last year for Christmas. I wanted to get him a 410 shotgun this year but they're hard to find.

Horkn likes this.
  3. Warner

Warner

.22 caliber single shot bolt action. He fired a 10/22 but had to hold it like a rocket launcher.

Marvin likes this.
  4. unbidden

unbidden

I have a bolt action Ruger American 17hmr that I like a lot. 10 round rotary mag that fits flush in the mag well. 17's are very accurate for a small round and ammo is usually available.

Marvin likes this.
  5. Marvin

Marvin

I like the idea of the extra ammo capacity in the 10 rounder but I like the idea of the bull barrel on the 5 rounder so I don't know....

Horkn likes this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

Sometimes, you just have to learn the hard way. It's usually after being told so many times that it will happen. But they think it won't. Then it does. "Told you so" is one of the most gratifying sayings for a reason.

7. Horkn

Horkn

I certainly hope not

Marvin likes this.
  8. unbidden

unbidden

I told a slight white lie, my Ruger 17hmr is actually 9 round mag. You can buy after market 25 rounders: if your state allows that is.

Marvin likes this.
  9. Horkn

Horkn

I just ordered a 25 Rd mag for my all weather 10/22 . Now, since I finally got a set of rings for the scope on the 10/22, do I put that in the stocking from Santa, or just go ahead and open them up and mount them?

:emb:

I think I'll just put them on and mount the scope.

Marvin likes this.
  10. chris

chris

If the case is being rotated as you say - perfect. There have been .are some autmatic anealing uniys - but the price:hair:

11. GHinNH

GHinNH

As the drum rotates it rolls the case, so yes. I think the least expensive machine for purchase is the Anealeeze. At close to $300 it is not inexpensive either.

I had some items needed, and got some from the scrap pile at the dump, so my purchased parts to finish it were about $50.

A very simple and inexpensive single speed machine could be made using a turntable motor from a microwave. A block of wood to hold the torch up and moving it and adjusting the flame to control the heat.

12. Horkn

Horkn

Got my Weaver see through rings and the cheap backup scope on my 10/22 all weather SS. The scope is way overkill 3x9 x40 but it feels good and looks decent on it. These rings with the bases made specifically for the 10/22 were like $12.

Still waiting on the bigger magazine, but the 10 Rd rotary stock ones work well from using my dad's Birchwood stocked 10/22 for decades. Dad gave me this 10/22 as a graduation gift. It's been mothballed since and I should be sending a few rds through it once I get more toys for my AR 15. After my dad passed, 3 years ago, I started thinking about this gun a bit more. 20201215_151244(1).jpg

Czed, Marvin and yooperdave like this.
  13. Horkn

Horkn

Ok got the AR 15 in 7.62x39 together finally. There was improper milling on the rear lug of my BCA upper. I had to wait for the upper to be returned from warranty work, but bear Creek was quick, and they replaced the upper at no charge. We got the scope bore sighted last night. I think I might sight it in on the 26th. Along with the 10/22. The 10/22 I'll need to spin the scope rings around so that the scope can go further back and I won't need to crane my neck forward to shoot.

20201218_220922(1).jpg

I don't like the stock a2 pistol grip or the lack of a front stop/ grip. I've got an order in to remedy those minor issues.

I put in a different trigger spring kit from JP and it transformed the mil-spec trigger. It was pretty heavy pull before, but now it's much better. They claim 4.5 lbs, but it feels nearly as nice as much more expensive drop in triggers, and as good as cheaper drop one. It's supposed to be the same or even better for firing hard berdan primers, so hopefully that's true. There's no creep with this mil-spec trigger now. If you didn't know better you'd think this was an expensive trigger by how it feels. My buddy was super impressed with it. It's just a KAK trigger with the jP springs. I'll see how it works on berdan primers. If it doesn't reliably ignite, then I'll put a drop in trigger in it.

Marvin likes this.
  14. GHinNH

GHinNH

I'll agree, the old style grip is comfortable and works well with the old style way of having your chicken wing sticking out.

For those who may not know, it becomes very easy to see with a simple exercise. Just stand as if you are holding a pistol grip rifle, with your elbow out 90*. Now lower you elbow tucking it in and watch your wrist angle move.

IMHO Magpul is overpriced and there are better alternatives for the same $$ but I do like the MOE K2+ grip and have them on everything with a pistol grip, including my real 7.62x39 rifles! :p

mag532_blk_1_1.png

Marvin likes this.
  15. Horkn

Horkn

I went with the omega grip. Screenshot_20201220-104927(1).png It's got storage in it too. It was basically free when I bought something else. I tried out 4 different grips that my buddy had, and all of them were just fine. The a2 is just wrong for me, mostly in that the grip is really small. I'm less of a fan of the hard plastic grips, and like the rubberized ones better.
    GHinNH , what do you mean by "real 7.62x39"? You talking about ak's? If so they may be the first, and original, but the AR chassis is a lot more accurate than the AK.

Marvin likes this.
  16. GHinNH

GHinNH

I'm sure you'll be happy with it then. What I may have will more than adequately fill any need that arises.

Horkn likes this.
  17. clay shooter

clay shooter

the paper work we have to go though to get one of those here. in england we have to be vetted by the police.

Horkn likes this.
  18. Horkn

Horkn

Oh yeah, those certainly do. If SHTF, you don't need sub MOA accuracy.
    My neighbors to the north have those issues too.

19. Marvin

Marvin

I picked these up yesterday.

First for my wife, chambered in 556 nato....
    20201220_150716.jpg

Next for the boy, a Savage model 93 in 17 HMR. He will be excited in a few years (he's just over 2). Its never too early to start a collection for him :thumbs:
    20201220_150654.jpg

I also got a red dot and flip up sights for the wife's ar.

Edit: the Savage is the 5 round magazine with the bull barrel I mentioned the other day in this thread.

Eckie, Czed and Horkn like this.
  20. GHinNH

GHinNH

Geography and topography are factored in, also personal preference. If I still deer hunted or found myself in a position that I needed to to survive, it would be pretty ideal in many ways.