In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gun range 2020 & beyond!

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Czed, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Yeah jo191145 you've got one hell of a sharp looking rifle there. Look at that stock! Did you send it up to Ovation Guitars in New Hartford for the finish on it? All that chrome plating... :yes:

2. jo191145

jo191145

Custom short range Bench Rest rifle.
    Miss Candywine Brandy,,,,,paint color or as the woman named her my southern whore. Wasnt impressed with the money I spent to have her rehomed from Tennessee LOL
    30 BR cartridge standard Robinette chamber reamer.
    BAT right bolt left eject action.
    Two Kreiger barrels, 30BR and 6BR
    Kelby SRBR stock
    Jewel BR trigger. 1.5 ounce break

No chrome, just polished stainless.
    Designed for one thing. To erase a 1/16” or 1/8” dot at 100 or 200 yards respectively. Does the job well.

3. Eckie

Eckie

I betcha you stock up on ammo for those at waly world huh....haha... :rofl: :lol: :thumbs:

4. jo191145

jo191145

If your referring to Miss Candys diet she’s quite particular. Only eats custom hand swaged bullets wrapped in a shell of custom expanded European brass. High maintenance ***** for sure :)

5. Eckie

Eckie

So when the zombies are roaming, ain't gonna be picking up ammo along the way for her....

amateur cutter, FatBoy85 and jo191145 like this.
  6. jo191145

jo191145

Don’t need to. Every shot counts ;)

7. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Probably spits out the brass every bit as shiny as that barrel too... 100-200 yards huh? Well that's a long set of legs on that filthy...uh:emb:girl.

8. jo191145

jo191145

The set yardages for point blank BR competition. Legs are even longer than that. For Zombies,,,500 yard headshots would be the norm.

Eckie, amateur cutter and FatBoy85 like this.
  9. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Soooo...... you automatically get over watch when the shtf?

jo191145, Eckie and FatBoy85 like this.
  10. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

They'd be hit before the noise would alert them. Many of us seem to dream up these situations of zombies and using these powers of destruction on them. The kinda fun witnessed in a high powered scope.

amateur cutter and jo191145 like this.
  11. Eckie

Eckie

I was kinda referring to how hard ammo would be to find, but yeah, that too! :yes:

12. jo191145

jo191145

Actually no. It could but I learned years ago I do not clean my brass after use. A quick wipe of the exterior neck with a brass cleaning rag is it. No tumbling in media or steel pins to make them shiny. The carbon inside the neck is part of the engine. Wiping that away just messes with the tune. Keep them consistently dirty is easier than trying to keep them consistently clean.

FatBoy85 and amateur cutter like this.
  13. jo191145

jo191145

Well one would hope LOL. Mans gotta know his limitations. I’m no longer in condition for any useful close up combat. Sniper from fortified position would be my only strength. :)

14. jo191145

jo191145

Now that you mention it. Forgot the scope. Fixed 36x weaver BR scope. Gives you like a 3 foot field of view at 100 yards so yeah, not particularly useful for things on the move. The 36 weaver while not the best glass in the world is used often in BR to keep the weight of the rifle within class requirements. I have a 12x42 Nightforce that is much better optics and of better utility outside of IBS competition.
    There’s something tO be said for reading a newspaper at 300 yards LOL. Aim small miss small.

15. jo191145

jo191145

Absolutely. You will not find ammo for this on any shelf anywhere. No one has ever manufactured ammo for many of these competition guns. It’s all made by hand from other parent cartridges. The 6 BR is the parent cartridge and loaded ammo is produced in small quantities by Lapua in Europe. Only made with heavier weight bullets for 600 yard comps popular in Europe. I bought a box once just for gIggles and a different fast twist 6BR long range barrel that could stabilize them. With this particular rifle it would be like shooting a broken musket. Bullet would start tumbling right out of the tube.
    The king of short range accuracy is the 6PPC. I have one of those too. Parent cartridge is the 220 Russian. Neck it up to 6mm. Turn the necks down to correct thickness. Drop in any decent powder charge. Stuff it in a 6PPC chamber and pull the trigger. The brass will blow out and fill the larger chamber with sharper shoulders and bang, you have a PPC case.
    Also have a “tactical” bolt action I made out of all the spare parts I’ve accumulated over the years. Capable of switching out barrels for different cartridges more normally in use here. Must have a dozen different t barrels I could screw on it.
    An accurized mini 14 for close range fast action.

I do get a kick out of the Guys that stock up on tens of thousands of rounds for a shtf scenario. Reality is if you live through the first hundred your very lucky and can pick up all the ammo and firearms you want off the ground. :)

Super44, FatBoy85 and amateur cutter like this.
  16. Eckie

Eckie

I am a firm believer in there's no such thing as enough/too much ammo. But I have told guys at work the same thing...it will be like the video games where you pick up the gun and ammo that's laying around. Having a gun that shoots what ammo you find (and vice versa), and being able to store/tote what you find will be an operational and logistical conundrum.

Eric Wanderweg and FatBoy85 like this.
  17. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Your description of blowing a cartridge neck is something I've seen every once in awhile on a 410 bore group slash experiment involving brass cartridges. They were looking like a replacement or parent cartridges, longer than the 45LC and went from necked to full extended brass. Apparently 45LC is compatible for 410 but others case sizes are possible.
    I'm also getting the gist of what they are doing but I'm confused about why do this if they make brass cartridges for .410 bore? Is it purely a play on brass cased ammo that work in the confines of the bore? I love the 410 but the brass cartridge tells me the load data for this is different so those who reload it as opposed to plastic, two entirely different things apparently?

I thought I'd ask you since you seem well versed in reloading your rounds for this gun. Also I've not reloaded yet, I'm picking up this skill through observations of others so the platform is virtually unlimited based on the fact that just about any size bullet can be made as long as a cartridge to it is matched.

To add to the SHTF, yes. I can only imagine that anyone can fire up to 100 rounds of said 2 maybe 3 calibers in all, in a backpack or on ones self before running out of ammo or luck. Believing most who arm themselves with hoarding that much ammo only shoot for practice, or hope to use it to trade. Cue odd utopian/ fallout type world to match this situation.

jo191145 likes this.
  18. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Those video games I've played and one sticks out in my head. It's one thing when we have a safe or ammo box to carry ammo in a calm fashion, no need to dilly-dally about keeping things "ready" except for range purposes.But from a realistic perspective, that is entirely another. First off how many rounds can you physically carry if things go south? It's hard to logistically plan that because you can have say 10 mags for one gun and maybe just a few for a side arm, the best would be the most ergonomic firearms you own. The lighter the better.

Tactical backpacks make this doable to carry more but not by much. Weight is everything. Video games show the player can carry thousands of rounds of one gun caliber but if I were to load all my .22 in a backpack, I'd look like running the Marines marathon with a full 80lb pack, maybe more like 120lbs?
    So much for that. Again its a video game, so definitely can't make the comparison for reality. But that's one thing to think about because it'll be what you think first of what's important at the moment.

Eckie likes this.
  19. jo191145

jo191145

First!! I’d say no. Do not fire a 45LC in a .410 shotgun. Those numbers are exactly what they mean :) constricting a 45 caliber slug down to .410 is adding some crazy pressures shotguns are not designed for.
    if they are doing it without a projectile that’s a different story. Usually a fast burning pistol powder and a paper or wax wad is used. That would be just fine. They may Want to do it for easy brass availability, better brass quality, ability to seat a slug and a different primer besides the ol 209. I’m guessing full brass 410 hulls are fairly rare.
    Loading for a BR rifle is worlds apart from what you described. I’ve never heard of that done. Can’t claim to know much about it but it sounds inherently dangerous if using a projectile.
    Some people blow out (fire form) 50BMG to use the brass in 12 gauge shotguns for experimental rounds.

I pretty much taught myself reloading. Mostly by going through sites and just reading about all the components, understanding what they’re used for and why.
    The one important thing to understand before starting rifle reloading is headspace. Seems to be the one thing most new reloaders skip understanding and IMO it’s the one thing you really need to know. Just an FYI.

when it comes to accuracy there’s one thing most shooters do not understand. “Bore condition”
    Not the actual physical condition of the steel tho that’s important. The condition of the fouling in the bore. It must be consistent. Most shooters just pick a powder, usually because that’s what everyone else is using. To make it simple,,,,too clean a burning can lead to copper fouling. Too dirty a powder will lead to steadily accumulating carbon fouling. You need to find a meiddle of the road fouling condition for your particular barrel. That bullet must travel down a bore that’s exactly the same every time if yOu want it to drill into the same hole the bullet before it made.
    A lot of people chase thier tails thinking something else is inconsistent when it’s really just the bore of the rifle is constantly changing ;).
    BArrels are like women. They’ll tell you what they want if yOu know how to listen.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    FatBoy85 likes this.
  20. Eckie

Eckie

What?!?! You mean I can't tote all my guns and ammo, and tote all that I can pick up along the way??? :eek:o_O:(:hair::yes:

FatBoy85 likes this.