In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Green Supreme Allegheny Mountain HW

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by bogieb, Feb 25, 2023.

1. bogieb

bogieb

I noticed that my local HD had Allegheny HWs, instead of the regular GS North East blend that they normally have, so picked up 5 bags out of curiosity. Note: if you won't run GS, I don't care :p. I don't really care about ash since I have fairly large ash bins. Some people's stoves don't like hardwoods, but mine tend to really like them, so that is a consideration.

I have been running mostly GS Northeast blend that I got on sale last spring. The NE bags say they are a product of Canada (unlike previous years that said NH and NY). I use the P43 to dry my hair, and walk by it all the time as it sits next to the opening between my kitchen and the living room. I was pretty sure the Alleghenys, a product of the USA per the bags, were running hotter than the NE blend, but waited until the stove had run down to the second bag of the Allegheny's before doing the test.

Green Supreme Allegheny Mountail pellets sku code-sm.jpg

Green Supreme Allegheny Mountail pellets-sm.jpg

All my, admittedly unscientific testing, is performed in the P43. I set the oven thermometer to get the air temp coming out of the 3rd tube from the right. The P43 has 7 air tubes and that placement gives a nice, snug fit for the thermometer, between the top of the firebox door and the lip off the top of the stove.

When taking temperature of the air, I turn the thermostat up another 1* from its set point to make sure I get at least 25 minutes of run time at full bore (according to the feed rate). The feed rate is set at 3 (I normally run it at 2 for my own reasons). I also don't clean the stove, so it is running at real-world conditions, not at best possible conditions. This time, the stove is really dirty and due for a cleaning and it still got up to 295-300*
    green supreme Allegheny Mountain temperature.jpg

As a comparison, these ran hotter than Okie Golds (originals), Fireside Platinums (SW), and Blazers. They didn't run as hot as Cubex, Fusion Blends (Lauzon) or La Crete (all of which burned in the low 300s).

Are they dusty pouring into the hopper? Yes. Are they fairly ashy? Yes, but no more so than other GS "flavors". But I was extremely impressed with the heat these put out. And, the price point is on the lower end (for this year anyway) at $6.58/bag or $308/ton. So, they are a much better value pellet than the GS Northeast (although those put out decent heat). I would definitely buy these again.

2. Skier76

Skier76

Great test! Thanks for sharing!

3. bogieb

bogieb

I forgot to mention that the smell of the Alleghenys is a whole lot different than the North East blend. The NE blend always smells a bit "off" to me while the Allegenys smell much fresher. Sorry, can't explain it any better than that.

4. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

I just noticed that they switched from the NE blend to the Alleghany. I have some to try out.

5. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Thanks bb, I too like the Allegheny's much better than the North East variety.

IHATEPROPANE and bogieb like this.