In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Giving away firewood(warning: rambling post)

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Buck55, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Buck55

Buck55

Oddly enough, I am a compulsive firewood hoarder. I think there might be a few here that understand. I cannot bear to see good firewood go to waste. Cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking and burning firewood is therapeutic to me. And, in the time of COVID, an excellent activity I can alone (although I do have a close friend that I work with from time to time).

I usually have more firewood than I can use, so I give it away.

A neighbor, now in his 70's loves fires but has had health issues the last few years and is unable to cut and split his own firewood. Every year he gets as much firewood he needs from me, delivered to his door (typically about 2 face cords). As long as I am able, he will get whatever firewood he needs each season. He always wants to pay me, I never allow that. He and his wife are big gardeners and make sauce from their tomatoes; they hook me up throughout the year with that and fresh vegetables (they have a greenhouse). That I will allow!

My nephew just bought a house with a fireplace. Asked me if I knew where he could get firewood. I told him I knew a guy....... 2 face cords for him.

Another neighbor asked me if he could buy some firewood for me for his outdoor fire pit. I told him absolutely not, but that I would give him some. About 1 face cord. This guy and his wife are big into canning and preserving; they hook me up with pickles, pickled jalapenos, salsa, and elderberry jam.

A lifelong friend has been out of work for a while. He can't afford to buy firewood. I gave him about 2 face cords, last October and when I dropped off to him he cried. I cried. Told him to stop blathering......

The lady that lives next door is a widower (her husband was a doc and was one of the greatest people I've ever known; he left us way too soon). She just likes to have a fire a few times a winter. She gets all the firewood she needs as long as I'm on watch.

As reflect after typing this, I realize I give a lot of firewood away. But it makes me feel good, I get stuff in return (that's just gravy, really), and most importantly I help people in my own small way.

2. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Nothing wrong with using your skills and resources to help others.

3. Eckie

Eckie

It's awesome that you are willing, able and kind enough to share your wood supply with others!

4. walt

walt

Your a good man ,keep it up

J1m, eatonpcat, Horkn and 13 others like this.
  5. Ron T

Ron T

Good on you for helping others. I help several older folks down the street from me. Its just the right thing to do and keeps me outside doing what I enjoy.

6. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Good barter

Good karma

Win-win!!

eatonpcat, cnice_37, Horkn and 17 others like this.
  7. Midwinter

Midwinter

You are a good neighbor! And appreciated, from the sound of it.

8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Gooder on you. The good Lord has blessed you with extra resources to bless others. Thank you for sharing with others.
    I hate to see wood go to waste too. We burn, sell and give some away also.

9. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Years back I was giving apples to a buddies of mine's wife. Next time I had some she wanted as many as she could get to give to her relatives. Never a thank you or offer to pay for the relatives. They don't get apples anymore. DSCF0020.JPG RGA.JPG DSCF0001.JPG

10. gboutdoors

gboutdoors

The best feeling in the world helping others. And when they give thanks in word or deed it’s even better. My buddy that carves is coming over Wednesday for some more dead oak and bringing Jane’s owl carving in return. Win win.

eatonpcat, cnice_37, Horkn and 11 others like this.
  11. Yawner

Yawner

That's a great post and a lesson and confirmation for many on here!

BTW, I am just like you that I can't stand to see good firewood go to waste. It's like a character flaw, lol. Everywhere I drive, I am looking at trees. I used to look for ducks, I love ducks, lol. Used to hunt like a madman, don't hunt anymore, just admire the ducks. We got many a duck in Louisiana.

eatonpcat, Horkn, Ronaldo and 6 others like this.
  12. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

I need to find more time and resources to be able to do the same. Thanks for sharing.

13. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

As I was reading this I thought I had typed it. Nice job brother. Keep it up.

It's a bit of a cliche but I always think of the movie "Pay it forward". It does feel good to do something nice for people even if you don't "get" anything in return.......but if they hook you up with some delicious sauce then that truly is gravy as some people call it!!!

Sharing is caring. Hats off to you sir!

Haftacut, eatonpcat, Horkn and 7 others like this.
  14. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Helping people in need is the right thing always. Makes me a better man. What I will not do is enable lazy if I can avoid it.

Midwinter, Biddleman, Ron T and 8 others like this.
  15. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Stinny posts a Christmas tale 1881 every year glad to see you live it in 2020. :handshake:

walt, T.Jeff Veal, eatonpcat and 7 others like this.
  16. Horkn

Horkn

Great post. Keep up the great work!

17. cnice_37

cnice_37

The world needs more folks like you.

I give it away or sell it way too cheap to friends. Pay it forward is what I tell them.

18. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I'll tell you a quick story. I play guitar and have played several times in Grand Central Station in the tunnel near the Hot & Crusty that connects the 7 to the 4/5.

Would you believe that all the people that looked like they needed a donation....those were the ones throwing money into my guitar case....and all the rich, well dressed people wouldn't even look my way.

19. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

I play Violin and have done similar things. Its amazing how many people look at your case and pretend they have no idea why its there. Some people may be clueless, but a few bucks and some change in your case should be a dead give away.