In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Girlfriend tried to freeze us out. LOL

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by nailed_nailer, Feb 12, 2023.

1. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer

Came home yesterday from helping a woodworker buddy build a cannon base. Walked in and found the pellet stove was out. :eek: Checked hopper and it was 3/4 full. Convection fan was still running so I know it hadn't been out for long. Figured I had a jam (never happened before) or the auger motor finally went tits up.

Near the end of last years heating season my auger motor occasionally made a warbling/whistling noise in time with the gear motor electric side not the feed rotation speed. Figuring it was 10+ years old and it runs for 7 months a year it was time to replace it. It wasn't dead yet but I didn't want to get caught with no parts.

OEM auger motor (Enviro 50-2054) runs about $375.00 Aftermarket runs $75-$150 depending on retailer and shipping. So that was the plan. Then, one morning in the "reading room" I was looking at the Surplus Center catalog and sure enough they have a 2 RPM gearmotor that I could probably make work ($15.00 + shipping) I said for $15 I could take a chance and bought one. I know the motor Torque is wrong 225 in/lbs vs. 180 ft/lbs OEM(1/10th the torque) but what the hell, worth a shot.

Well spring came and the original motor lasted the season.
    Fall came and fired up stove in October and the auger motor was quiet. No warbling/whistling noise until early this week. It started getting more frequent and a bit louder. So when stove died yesterday I was not shocked.

I emptied the hopper and vacuumed it and the lower auger out. After playing with the auger for a bit I began to think I had a pellet jam. I was able to get the motor/shaft turning but it seemed loaded down. When the motor was able to turn it was strong but it kept binding with out some mechanical agitation (light hammer blows). In a Hail-Mary attempt ........ I lubed the lower bushing with dry Graphite and dusted some pellets to feed up the helix. Maybe I could lube my way to success. Woo Hoo!! Success. :yes:

That lasted about an hour. Stove shut down again. Emptied the hopper and vacuumed it out again. (Now I'm covered in Graphite) I decide to pull the Auger cover looking for a bad upper bushing or some kind of a jam. Guess what I find......

1.jpg
    The problem

2.jpg
    Check out where the Auger wore edge and the flight scrapings

3.jpg

4.jpg

There, wrapped around the auger just below the tipper flights was this teaspoon. It was wrapped around the shaft in that area between the top of the helix and the tipper flights. Pretty amazing it made it all the way up the auger feed tube. Even more amazing that I ran it that way for 5 months of stove use. I'm guessing it had been there since last spring. Other than the occasional motor struggling noise the stove ran perfectly.

Pulled it out. Auger seems no worse for the wear. Put stove back together, filled it up and its been running perfectly since last night. Crisis averted (for now)

Ordered an aftermarket Gleason Avery 50-2054 OEM replacement from The Jungle Store $99.00 (free shipping) Be here Monday. Just to have on hand.

Think I know how the spoon got in there. My Girlfriend likes to eat Ice Cream but hates to be cold. So frequently she eats it over the stove. I'm guessing somehow the spoon fell in one night when she checked teh hopper. We have had a talk and will avoid this problem in the future.

Gotta hand it to Enviro for using a really robust motor for the auger.
    All is good now,
    Thanks for looking,
    ---Nailer---

2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

3. Dok440

Dok440

That's an impressive auger! My England stove auger will stall out on a hard pellet.

4. bogieb

bogieb

5. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

That is impressive !! usually things are not made that well anymore, you would think that company would have used better metal in that spoon :rofl: :lol: Glad there was no serious damage to your stove

6. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

And that folks is why the caution is in the FM about keeping things like fingers out of the area around the auger when the stove is on.

7. Scot Linkletter

Scot Linkletter

I think you should blame the pellet manufacturer. It's always their fault.

8. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Are you admitting responsibility?

9. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Always her fault, now if she were your wife, it would 100% be your fault. :faint::smoke::rofl: :lol:

10. Horkn

Horkn

Lol, it's still his fault,

11. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Of course.

12. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

Ahhhh women! (anyone remember that thread)? Ya, stuff happens nailed_nailer :rofl: :lol:

14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Marry the right woman and she will realize she did it and apologize then thank you for finding the problem (that she created) ;)

15. imacman

imacman

Tough finding that .001% of all women, that will actually admit it. :rofl: :lol:

16. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I know not to comment. Ya can't win this one Pete so cut your losses.

T.Jeff Veal, BHags, imacman and 2 others like this.
  17. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Pin this one JT.

T.Jeff Veal, imacman and jtakeman like this.
  18. Horkn

Horkn

I married the right woman and she's still too headstrong to apologize and thank me when she's done wrong.

It's ok, we're used to it.

When men mess up, we just go ahead and own it. Like a badge of honor. Lol

19. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

:rofl: :lol:

I must have got lucky! My wife will own it as I do. Of coarse we always add the excuse to it to make it seem better! :p

We could if thats what the majority would like! Good to show the power of the auger and how it can remove fingers, Toes and other body parts. :eek:

My auger jams have been a loose bolt on the ol bigE(Stove shop owner blamed it on the pellets I was using!!), and a childs toy that must have just fell in the Omega! :whistle:

:doh:

20. Skier76

Skier76

Oh wow! What a find!