In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Geriatric Kitty headed to the vet

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by RCBS, Nov 15, 2017.

1. RCBS

RCBS

Have to take my cat to the vet today for dental procedure. She is 17 years old. Noticed a lack of appetite about 6 weeks ago, which continued to decline. Also a watery eye and some drooling showed up about 3 weeks ago so I took her in for evaluation. She had a fever due to infection from a really bad tooth on the side that had the watery eye. The vet was unable to get a good look due to cats being cats and not letting you do too much prodding without becoming combative. Vet did not like what she saw. Today she will put my cat under whilst examining fully and hopefully remedying the problem. Nervous and a bit anxious due to knowing that anesthesia is risky even for a cat only 10 years old.

Here is a photo of Timber.
    IMAG0522.jpg

I found her out on a back country road a little over 17 years ago. Driving home from a friend's house late one night, and I see a kitten in the middle of the road. It runs off down over the berm as my truck approaches. I stop and get out knowing that she had been dumped due to proximity of any houses or farms being too far for her to have travelled. Kity kitty kitty, I say and BAM! The kitten shrieks and runs up the berm to me and up my leg to my waist before I could get ahold of her. She rode on my shoulder the whole way home. I'm guessing she was around 6 weeks when I found her and she has been my pet since.

I have been, for some time dreading the inevitable, but she has stayed healthy all these years with only 1 or 2 incidents needing medical attention. Had cats and dogs the whole time I was growing up. Never had a cat last more than 6 or 7 years before being run over or disappearing altogether. Needless to say, she is a family member. From the Drs reaction to her problem, I am not optimistic about this situation. I wrestled for a few days with the decision of letting her problem persist until quality of life dictated euthanasia, or to put her through what will basically be a surgery on her mouth and gums and the following recovery. My spirits lifted a bit when the antibiotics showed a positive result and she became a bit more like her usual self. She had been becoming lethargic. So I decided to go for the procedure. The cost will be somewhere in the $700 range and I do not have pet insurance, but I feel that I owe her a an opportunity to be well again. 17 years.

I know this board is dominated by canine lovers, but just need to vent off my concerns to people who I know can relate to having a beloved pet in a bad situation. Quality of life is my concern at this point. The procedure and recovery will be rough on her, but I can't bear to watch her rot away. If recovery does not go well, I may yet have to put her down. My goal is to give her another good year or two with the prize being the 20th birthday. She's been entirely spoiled her whole life and I hope I can continue to do so.

About to load her into the truck in a few minutes and once again betray her trust.

From happier times.

IMAG1521.jpg

2. Midwinter

Midwinter

She is a beautiful cat! Good luck and healing wishes to Timber! Let us know how the surgery turns out. Love my cat too, I would do the same.

Horkn, savemoney, HDRock and 6 others like this.
  3. rottiman

rottiman

Hoping for the best for Timber................Good Luck Kitty

4. DNH

DNH

She's beautiful!

I read a study a few years ago on anesthesia in pets who required anesthesia for radiation therapy (5 days per week for 8 weeks) over 97% were able to safely and successfully complete all 40 radiation treatments under general anesthesia despite advanced age and cancer. Hope this helps.

David

Horkn, savemoney, milleo and 7 others like this.
  5. justdraftn

justdraftn

She is a beautiful kitty.
    You're doing the right thing.
    All the best for her and you.

Horkn, HDRock, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  6. Firebroad

Firebroad

Let us know how Timber makes out, RCBS ! Some of us are indeed Cat People. She is a beautiful creature!
    A kitty nearly 18 must have had a wonderful life with you. I hope she has a few more years of happiness.

Horkn, VOLKEVIN, HDRock and 6 others like this.
  7. yooperdave

yooperdave

Now that is a rescue story!

Hope all goes well.

8. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Good Luck and best wishes on the recovery. They find ways to get to us...

Horkn, savemoney, HDRock and 2 others like this.
  9. RCBS

RCBS

Thank you all. Dr just called with update. :( She likely has cancer in her gums and upper jawbone. Dr believes this is what's causing the whole mess. She called while Timber is still under after I instructed her to do if things were bad. I had thought I may have her put to sleep whilst under anesthesia to save the drama of another and final car ride, but I couldn't do it. They will do what they can with her today and she will be coming home tonight. I am not ready to say goodbye just yet I guess and did not do so this morning. Right now I am fighting to keep from breaking down at work over it. Seeing what a human goes through during cancer treatment, I will not put her through that at her age. Dr is giving more antibiotics and I will try to keep her comfortable for as long as I can. I have known for a long time that this was going to hurt, but thought I might deal with it better than I am. Odd that a big strong man bear such as myself is affected so much. Admittedly, I am just a big softy in such situations. I don't have any children, and Timber has been the closest thing to, for me. It's not helping coming at this time of year. Fall is my favorite season, but it's also when my loved ones always seem to leave me. This weekend, I will find a special place for her up on the hill to rest and make preparations.

Thanks again everyone for the goodwill.

Chaz, Horkn, Erik B and 8 others like this.
  10. Firebroad

Firebroad

Hard to like such a post.
    I am so sorry. I know, I have had to put down four of my beloved cats. One was particularly special, just like your Timber. The hurt is deep, and you will cry a lot--it's okay. But know that she will be waiting for you on that bridge when you go to meet your maker.
    Damm, now I am crying.

11. Firebroad

Firebroad

Just one more thought.
    Perhaps your vet might make arrangements to come to the house to do the deed when the time comes? Mine did, he is a very special Vet and loves animals.

Horkn, RCBS, HDRock and 4 others like this.
  12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I'm sorry. And all of us here understand.

Horkn, Chvymn99, RCBS and 3 others like this.
  13. Midwinter

Midwinter

Poor Timber. We all want our cats to live to 23, and die peacefully in the sun, but it can't be that way for all of them. She had a great life with you, but now it's her time.

14. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

I would wait for certain results.
    Some cancers grow slow. Some treatments aren't all that harsh either.
    I agree with the treatment idea, only you know what's best.

Chvymn99, RCBS, HDRock and 1 other person like this.
  15. fishingpol

fishingpol

I'm a cat person by marriage. We too had a calico that was just over 16 y/o and we had to make the call earlier this year. She was full of reasonable energy one day and weak the next two. I believe it was kidney failure or something and the emergency vet gave her another month or so with medication. The choice was made and I was with her until the very end. It was not easy and I said my goodbyes. Worse was breaking the news to the kids. Time heals, and we have great memories knowing she had a great life with us.

The eventual time will be inevitable, and I hope you find inner strength. Do what is best for Timber and have no regrets.

16. HDRock

HDRock

Reminds me of my Tinker , she was the best cat I ever had 15 yrs , she had liver problems .
    I had a really tough time dealing with the whole thing .
    I hope things work out good with Timber

17. RCBS

RCBS

I had asked about this service earlier. My Vet does not offer this service except for under extreme circumstances. She gave me a number for another place that she thinks offers this service. I hate to drive her anywhere knowing that her very first car ride was with some POS who drove her out in the country and tossed her like trash. Has to be hard on an animal to have that association with an automobile.

This seems such a shame because she is healthy other than her mouth problem. Not eating, or eating in pain is not much of a choice. I cannot fix the problem for her, which hurts the most. She's relied on me all these years and even though I know better, it still feels like I'm letting her down. I don't really care for many people or things in this world, but those that I do...I care for very, very much.

Again, thank you all. Your posts mean a lot to me.

18. Firebroad

Firebroad

Bless you, RCBS, and you little Timber. I hope you both can find a peaceful, meaningful solution. My heart is breaking with yours.

Horkn, Chvymn99, RCBS and 2 others like this.
  19. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

What a beautiful blend of colors Tiger has. Sorry life has thrown this situation your way...

Horkn, Firebroad, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  20. rottiman

rottiman

RCBS, I have been down this road too many times. I found that in the past I had that same dilemma. I came to terms with the situation by realizing what quality of life the pet has, versus my decision of whether I was ready for it or not. Only you can decide but think heavily about her quality of life. May God guide you in your decision.