In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Generic or OEM Stove Gasket?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Ohio, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Ohio

Ohio

I did the dollar bill test on my Morso 2110 today. The stove has a double doors. The doors passed the dollar bill test except for where the doors meet in the center. The bill slid through with ease. The gaskets have only gone through two seasons, however the stove box is only a little over a cubic foot, so I have to open the doors quite frequently.

Should I order Morso gaskets and cement or head down to the hardware store and pick up gaskets of the same size? The manual says the gaskets are ceramic. Thanks.

farmer steve likes this.
  2. farmer steve

farmer steve

i thought i would be cheap and use the hardware store gasket/glue on my stove. barely lasted through the season. i went to my stove mfg and bought OEM gasket and glue. that was 3 years ago. gonna put a new one on before i fire up this fall. just my 2 cents.

Ohio likes this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Depends if the oem gasket is reasonable or not. I'd maybe order oem the first time, see what size it is, what type and density it is (low, med, high) then source it elsewhere. Ceramic gasket material is commonly available...I have ordered online the last few times...

Thor likes this.
  4. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

For my stove, Englander specifies high density gasket. When I went to the local store to get some and asked for high density, they didn't seem to know what I was talking about, I bought some anyway and it lasted about a year, so I got some oem from Englander, here they are side by side both brand new, same dimension specs just different densities.

Attached Files:

Ohio and farmer steve like this.
  5. woody5506

woody5506

Personally I've heard of too many people having issues with generic gaskets not holding up or doing what they are even supposed to do, so I would stick with OEM. Spend a bit more up front but have it work properly and last longer.

Ohio likes this.