In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gardening Gardening

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by mattjm1017, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Scorpions & Ghost Peppers....:D

32F0A023-6107-40D8-B722-69ED135D9AE8.jpeg

2. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

Nice haul Chvymn99 !

Let me know if you have any interest in making some pepper jelly.

I have a good recipe that I just tried yesterday with my habaneros. It is really good.

3. billb3

billb3

Nice !!
    Too hot for me though ....
    I think I have enough no-heat habanero to make some pepper jam.
    Some hot pepper recipes use more bell pepper than hot pepper - probably to cut down on spontaneous combustion in the pantry. :)
    The hot habaneros are still slow to ripen so far, but I've got a bazillion jalapeno -mostly yellow and orange.
    I've been busy freezing yellow wax beans still. Last count -12 pounds - a lot for me.

Had a lady stop wanting to pick/buy some tomatoes to make tomato soup. She thinks I should set up a little card table in front of my house and sell what I've got. Or let people pick their own - like the pick-your-own apple orchard just down the road a bit. Yeah, I don't think so. But the guy that owns the apple orchard said he'll take ALL my "extra" instead of bringing it to the food pantry.

Picked some bell peppers - just the ones that are ripe/mostly ripe:
    IMG_1521.JPG

OK, I found a couple hot habanero that look ready enough to pick, plus a couple anaheim peppers.
    IMG_1522.JPG
    I put a anaheim pepper that had turned red on a pizza (after slicing and sauteing it) and red isn't the gresatest for a pizza. These just don't have any heat or spice. I'm not putting a hab on a pizza.

I have some cayenne peppers I could pick but I don't know for sure what I'm going to do with them yet, sauce or dried. I'm running out of small 4 ounce canning jars.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  4. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I got a few from the garden today myself. More Carolina Reapers, Sugar Rush Peach, Aji Charapita, Habanero, and Tabasco. I think next year I’m only going to grow a couple super hot peppers, and more “edible” ones :confused:

7198CE8F-7460-4142-8256-E41E615AED54.jpeg

5. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Sure, go ahead. :handshake: Thanks.

6. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

Here you go Chvymn99, and anyone else who may be inclined to try it:

1/2 pound habaneros (about 25), or other hot peppers

1.25 cups apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup lemon juice

4 cups sugar

1 tsp canning salt

_____
    Core peppers

Pulse in food processor, being careful not to purée it.

Bring other ingredients and peppers to boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add 3 oz liquid fruit pectin and bring to rolling boil stirring for 1 minute, and then turn off heat.

Place in jars and water bath for 10 min.

_____
    My wife and I had with toast and an egg this morning, and we just had some more with a venison roast dinner.

It is a very good compliment to any savory meal, and will now be a staple with my yearly canning.

7. Horkn

Horkn

I canned all the tomatoes that I had before we left on our road trip. I used a bunch of fresh basil I grew in each quart as well as the fresh garlic.

These will be for my wife's family recipe red sauce. Using home grown 'maters makes the sauce the best ever.

8. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I grew two Tabasco plants this year and as you can see, I won’t be hurting for Tabasco peppers :thumbs: I think one plant would’ve been enough. Most of these will turn colors by late September/early October.
    7F2E60E3-0C43-4672-9946-42CEDB82E881.jpeg

9. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Every year a few tomato plants come up “rogue” from seed dropped from the year before. Typically I pull them but this year I let a couple plants grow in the bed I had squash in. One plant has a few cherry tomatoes already, and by looking at them it’s an accidental cross between a Juliet tomato and Super Sweet 100. I should be able to harvest a few ripe tomatoes before the first frost.
    A4337E1F-7764-4E5D-98FB-BF2FBE574FDF.jpeg

10. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Whatcha gonna do with them all?

11. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Freeze quite a few, make hot sauce with the rest. Hopefully give some away as I have way more than I’ll need. Want some? :D
    They’re phenomenal pickled as well.

12. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I've never had any of the actual peppers. Might make for an interesting chili with a couple tossed in whole, to fish out later

13. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Sounds like a good plan. I don’t recommend eating a Tabasco pepper whole, by itself. They’re way hotter than their namesake sauce (I believe the sauce is diluted quite a bit with vinegar and also fermented) Tabasco is the only pepper I’m aware of that’s filled with liquid, making it extra unpalatable raw. God forbid you get a shot of that straight capsaicin juice barreling down your throat accidentally :picard:

14. billb3

billb3

IMG_1530.JPG
    Some orange and some yellow jalapeño peppers and some orange and some yellow Bell peppers to make some (mild-ish) jalapeño jam.
    Hopefully orange and yelow jam and not greenish brown jam. We'll see.
    Might try some without the bell peppers too as I have quite a few jalapeños ready to pick.
    Pickling jalapeños I've done before so a mix of the colors in jars might look cool. We'll see.

15. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

F86523C4-90A8-4B83-ADB7-9BD53A20DD60.jpeg
    Things are winding down in my garden, but I have a another week or two of harvests. This is some of today’s haul, featuring the biggest zucchini of the season so far.

E8D81856-B4FD-409B-AECA-59B9D880A15B.jpeg
    Our granddaughter is my little gardening buddy. She loves sitting at her little picnic table in the yard eating wax beans, carrots, or raspberries.

16. billb3

billb3

With all the rain we've had lately powdery mildew put an abrupt end to some of my garden. Squash are done, as are tomatoes.
    I've got some roma tomatoes to pick thru as there might be some good ones in there yet, but the plants themselves are done.

17. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

It is interesting you mentioned that billb3.

I haven’t had any blight on my tomato plants to speak of, and no powdery mildew this season, even with the recent rains. The squash plants here all look really good still, even the ones planted in May.

18. billb3

billb3

Yeah, I think powdery mildew and <something else> at the same time. Squash, tomatoes, basil, etc., just turned yellow and brown . I did see the powdery mildew first. Usually with powdery mildew they struggle with the white on the leaves for a couple of days, or longer.
    I had hardly any bugs this year though. Some striped cucumber beetles and my cucumbers didn't do good. No asian beetles. None of the little yellow bugs that get in the string beans. Weird year.
    Deer wiped me out last year so I'm happy with what I'm getting this year , especially peppers. I like my bell peppers.

19. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Dehydrating a few peppers…. Gonna try some Jalapeño, ghost pepper, scorpions..

156924D3-A843-4DF5-9870-1D20564B7411.jpeg

20. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

I made 7 half pints of sweet pepper sauce this morning.. I mixed it up by adding habanero, mustard seed, a head of garlic, some Jalapeños and a few carrots. It is akin to the Asian sweet chicken sauce we buy at the grocery store for our fried fish and grouse nuggets. We like it better, and plan to put up enough to not have to buy it anymore.

0DE28EDD-8670-4E99-B16B-894BF3F76235.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    EODMSgt, billb3, Woodwidow and 2 others like this.