In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Garage Heater

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by lukem, Dec 9, 2019.

1. lukem

lukem

I'm in the process of sealing up my attached garage with the idea of heating it to about 50* most of the winter...and cranking that up to 70 or so if we have a large gathering and want to set up tables and chairs out there on rare occasion. The garage is well insulated, 22x24 with a 10' ceilings, a 16' insulated door, uninsulated floor, good windows, and a good entry door.

My plan is to tie into my main loop on the cold side of the DHW heat exchanger with closely spaced T's to make a secondary loop. I'll add a single zone controller and small circulation pump with a thermostat in the garage.

What I'm undecided about is what type of emitted to put out there. I can buy a cast iron radiator on CL for under $100, or I can buy a unit heater (radiator and fan combo) for a lot more than that.

Unit heater would be nice for when I need to heat it up quickly....radiator might not recover fast enough? Thoughts on either?

2. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Cast iron radiators usually cant be beat for steady even heat I think they are the most efficent heaters and they do not require any upkeep or electric to operate

3. ironpony

ironpony

I know someone that used a couple of car radiators and electric fans, 12v, that came with them. worked well in a 24x24 garage

RGrant, milleo, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  4. yooperdave

yooperdave

There is one guy that has a HWC with a box fan for the distribution. Sounds cheapy but he's had it close to 30 years now and works amazing! Of course, he does have a small plenum for the HWC; the fan is placed under the coil and it blows up and out.

If you are going to tee into your lines, maybe something like this will help?

[​IMG]

5. lukem

lukem

I don't think I need those directional T's since I'll be pumping through them with a circulator....I don't think they make them in PEX anyway.

6. papadave

papadave

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Y'all beat me to it...radiator and a box fan! :thumbs:

yooperdave likes this.
  8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

9. yooperdave

yooperdave

Jack Straw and brenndatomu like this.
  10. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

My house was built with a heated, attached garage. It has water, baseboard heat. I always worried about it freezing and had antifreeze added because a pipe in the house froze. Anti freeze lowers the efficiency of your boiler and creates small leaks on valves, fittings, etc.. I wish I just had a hanging propane hot air furnace out there. Whatever you get a ceiling fan will help with that 10’ ceiling. Good luck!

Stinny, brenndatomu and yooperdave like this.
  11. Blstr88

Blstr88

After having a heated garage you can never go back! It's so nice keeping it at 55-60 or so...all your tools are warm, your paints, sprays, chemicals etc stay good. No worry about outboard motors or pressure washers freezing up because you left a little water in them...car is toasty warm in the mornings...so great!

brenndatomu, Stinny and Jack Straw like this.
  12. Stinny

Stinny

x2... very grateful for a heated garage too. It has an old blower that gets the temp up to 62, from 50, in about 2 hours. When it's really ugly outside, it sure is awesome to be able work in a warm dry shop... :yes:

Stlshrk, yooperdave and papadave like this.