In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fusion (Lauzon) Blend Pellets

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by bogieb, Feb 5, 2021.

1. bogieb

bogieb

I got 10 bags of these off of FB Marketplace and have them going thru teh P43. Keep in mind, there are at least 2 different Fusions: Blend and Hardwood (I didn't realize that as I was picking them up and thought they were hardwood).

20210127_162428.jpg

fusion blend pellets upc code.jpg

I was super intrigued when I opened the first bag. There is a very noticeable mix of light and dark pellets - probably around 50/50. In fact, seeing the difference was what made me really look at the bag and see that it said Blend instead of Hardwood. Fusion Blend pellets-light and dark blend.jpg

All my, admitadly unscientific testing, is performed in the P43. I could tell when they made their way to the auger as the pellets produce some neon greenish-tinged flames. The bonus in this picture is that you can see where I set the oven thermometer to get the air temp coming out of the 3rd tube from the right. The P43 has 7 air tubes and that placement gives a nice, snug fit for the thermometer, between the top of the firebox door and the lip off the top of the stove.
    Fusion blend pellets fire with green and placement of thermometer.jpg

When taking temperature of the air, I turn the thermostat up another 1* from its set point to make sure I get at least 25 minutes of run time at full bore (according to the feed rate). The feed rate is set at 3. I also don't clean the stove, so it is running at real-world conditions, not at best possible conditions. Top temp was about 325*
    Fusion Blend Temp 325.jpg

Previous to the Fusions I had been running La Cretes, which had, to that point, given me the hottest temp of pellets I have tested in this manner at 300*. Disclaimer - of the historically "hot" pellets I have been able to get my hands on, I never tested Vermonts, Cubix, Hamer's or Blazers. Comparisons to some of the pellets I have thought to "test" are: Okie Plats & Fireside Plats (not Ultras) run 275, TSC MWPs run 240.

They do run hot, but they are also fairly ashy - ashier than the La Cretes. That ash is also heavier than La Cretes. OTOH, they don't produce much of a "speed bump" in the fire pot. I will be cleaning the P43 this weekend so I'll see if the ashiness is reduced or becomes lighter - the P43 does tend to collect a lot of ash in the igniter area (unlike the P61).

Like the La Cretes, for daily running I turn the feed rate down to between 2 & 2.5 to allow the stove run a bit longer so there is time for the bedrooms to get a bit warmer.

Skier76, CleanFire, slvrblkk and 3 others like this.
  2. bogieb

bogieb

Update for ashiness - it did not reduce after cleaning. After I ran the rest of the bags thru, I switched to FSU's, which gave less, and finer, if super dark (typical), ash. Then I ran several bags of Fusion Hardwoods, and there was little ash that was light and fine in texture, so it wasn't the stove.

vtktm802, jtakeman, CleanFire and 2 others like this.