In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Free Natural Gas Heat

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by RDG, Oct 19, 2020.

1. RDG

RDG

Let’s say you have free natural gas heat, would you still heat with wood? Be honest, I’m curious to see how this goes. I’ll explain later.

2. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Yes, it's more than simply a heat source to me. I enjoy the entire process too much, from cutting to burning. My addiction is too much fun to let go of entirely. But I would utilize NG freely, especially when I'm not around.

EnglishBob, JoeinO, papadave and 16 others like this.
  3. bushpilot

bushpilot

Nope. I'd be selling firewood though!

I love wood heat, but sorry, free is better.

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I looked for a property with free gas pretty hard before I bought my place...I had no family history of wood heat (other than uncles) and would have likely never got started with all this fun if not for high HHO prices, and a "free" stove that came along...

EnglishBob, JoeinO, mat60 and 10 others like this.
  5. RDG

RDG

When I bought my current property it came with free natural gas heat as long as the gas well stayed above a specified psi. My brother calls me crazy/stupid for heating with wood but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Wood heat to me is superior to any other heat and that will never change.

EnglishBob, JoeinO, mat60 and 11 others like this.
  6. imma say yes i would still heat with wood cause i really dont feel like having to pay alot more money to get new boiler/furnace and then have to pay more for setup

EnglishBob, JoeinO, mat60 and 10 others like this.
  7. theburtman

theburtman

I would set my thermostat higher than I do now but still heat with wood. I set it at 62 now. I would also not be burning so much during shoulder season and packing the stove so full at night.

8. Pricey106

Pricey106

I would use the free natural gas for my stove/oven, water heater and maybe one of them fancy natural gas grills, just cause it would be free gas. Other than that, wood heat all the way. I wouldn't pay for a furnace/boiler set up just to heat the house if I were away. I don't like to be away anymore. I prefer my own bed, toilet and shower.

9. jrider

jrider

I would still have fires in my fireplace on a fairly regular basis because I love it but I do t think I would fire up the wood boiler. Outside of being a renter, is there any way you guys have ever had free gas??

10. RDG

RDG

The lady I bought my house from in 2016 still owns the mineral rights to the gas well but as long as the PSI stays above a certain number I will continue to get free gas according to the lease. Hopefully it lasts a while.

Dakota Hoarder, JoeinO, mat60 and 9 others like this.
  11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Around here it's pretty common if you have a gas/oil well on your property...they give you a certain amount every month, as long as the well is good...it's usually more than most will use in a month.

JoeinO, mat60, farmer steve and 7 others like this.
  12. Eckie

Eckie

Free gas??? Holy smokes, what else have you folks been holding out on for this long? Didnt know there was such a thing....

13. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

We cook with propane, so free gas there would be great! I know the wells don't give propane, just gotta put in the natural gas jets. I'd still heat 100% with wood as we do now. All our laundry goes on 2 clothes racks near the woodstove for free clothes drying, plus all our winter gear is dried there from being in the snow.

JoeinO, jo191145, mat60 and 9 others like this.
  14. Locust Post

Locust Post

I have natural gas heat, not free but nothing warms your bones like wood heat so even if it were free I would still burn wood.

JoeinO, mat60, farmer steve and 6 others like this.
  15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I like the fire just for atmosphere. The house we rent includes heat so i seldom burn.

Cash Larue, JoeinO, mat60 and 6 others like this.
  16. yooperdave

yooperdave

Free nat gas? Heck yeah!

But, as others have stated, that occasional wood fire with it's intense radiant heat is hard to beat.

The older you get, the more the body wears out and the longer it takes to recover from injuries/existing conditions/exertion. You'll see....;)

17. coreboy83

coreboy83

Heck yes I would still burn. Love the entire process. Coincidently I work at a major HVAC distributor that supplies the gas company with their residential equipment. I also have a 96% VC furnace.

Cash Larue, JoeinO, mat60 and 6 others like this.
  18. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

I would burn wood but not at the same capacity. As mentioned before, all my appliances would be natural gas. A natural gas generator sounds like a plan to beat the electric bills. I’m sure the ROI is not good but I like the thought of it.

Cash Larue, JoeinO, mat60 and 7 others like this.
  19. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

It would be hard to turn down! Still, having the constant heat rather than roasting when the fan runs then freezing until the next cycle has much to say about it.

I love wood heat but have a few times heated with natural gas, propane and even fuel oil. None of thos could ever compare with wood heat. Perhaps some day we'll be forced into some other type of heat but you can bet your booties we'll heat with wood as long as we can.

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I'd install a gas boiler and radiant floor heat if I had free gas...even nicer than heat from a wood stove IMO (no fire TV though :()