In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

For Vendors: Most annoying customer traits?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by JiminyKicket, Jul 19, 2022.

1. JiminyKicket

JiminyKicket

At the risk of having my FHC membership revoked, I’m considering buying maybe a half-cord of seasoned hardwood so I have a cushion this Winter. As I scan CL and FBM ads, I think about how I want to approach being a customer.

It made me wonder: for you firewood vendors, what customer behaviors do you find most annoying? Are there any common questions that bug you?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  2. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Is this available? (auto message on Marketplace) I wouldn't advertise if it wasn't available.

3. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Lots of people ask about buying a truckload. My truck is probably not the same as your truck. Better to ask for a specific measured amount, so both you and the seller are speaking the same language.

4. Screwloose

Screwloose

How many pieces will I get?
    How much for a trunk load ?
    Just ask what you would want to be asked and you will be fine.
    If you are good burning uglies, chunks and short pieces you can bring it up. Sometimes you can get a good deal on stuff other people balk at.

5. EODDiver

EODDiver

I try to be informative and cover all the bases for what questions customers might have about my firewood. So, find a lot of people don't read for comprehension and ask questions that are answered in my ad. The worst are the ones that carry on for five or six text exchanges and then just drop off. Don't think they really wanted firewood in the first place, just someone to chat with. Already mentioned is "do you still have firewood?". I provide dated photos and videos of my woodyard showing a football field full of it. Obviously didn't sell it all yesterday.

6. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

I have answered ads in the past that said $10 or $20 for a truckload. I asked if I could fill my f250, they said sure. I showed up and I stacked a full cord on it. They didn't seem to care. They said I could fill it, so I did.

7. Chud

Chud

The guy who asks lots of questions but never orders than a day before snow or ice wants wood today.

8. JiminyKicket

JiminyKicket

Right now that guy is standing in a Home Depot looking at empty shelves in the air conditioner section and complaining about the store.

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I say right in the ad that I will not respond to that, and I don't...people still do it...I'm convinced that its mostly an accident, they just swipe over it by mistake. But dealing with the idiots makes me hesitate to even put ads up anymore...and I used to sell stuff a lot...hardly worth the headache anymore!
    And get off my lawn! :BrianK: :rofl: :lol:

HoneyFuzz, Jutt, MaineMtnMan and 16 others like this.
  10. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I quit advertising. I sell more than I care to make to regular customers, and they invariably tell others. Custom lengths or split sizes cost extra, don't complain or you get nothing. Come January when you can't buy any dry wood it's really gonna cost you.

11. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

If you want chunks and uglies, I'll give you all you can haul lol.

12. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I have occasionally sold several cords. One ploy is they ask if I will lower the price per cord if they buy three cords. Yes, $30 less per cord (just picking numbers from the air). OK, I'll buy this one now at the discount price and buy the other two later! I always say No: You pay full price until you buy all three cords at which point I refund the discount. Have had a few sharp bargainers get angry when their scheme does not work out ! I just ask them to leave.:loco: :crazy: Happens the same way with metalwork. Do I get a volume discount if I buy 20 of these plaques to sell in my store? Yes, 15% off. Wonderful, I'll just buy two today at discount so I can show my business partner. I will call later about the others.:mad:

13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I never understood the volume discount angle for firewood...its just as much work to make the last cord as the first, maybe more!
    It's not like an assembly line thing where once you get the setup done, the hard part is over!

14. EODDiver

EODDiver

Totally agree about the same amount of work to produce the next rick or cord. However, I only deliver and that one-way distance is usually between 60-75 miles. So I pass on a little discount after the first rick because the driving time is the same and my diesel truck gets 18 MPG with my trailer vice 21 without. So hauling four ricks at a time saves me 9 hours of driving time and another $90 in diesel. I intend to pay for my 18' trailer by year's end by making larger deliveries or multiple deliveries on the same outing. I sold a load of 1&1/2 ricks Monday. Charged $370, so the 1/2 rick was $110 and $260 for the first rick. $400 total with the $30 tip. I have a feeling this is going to be a great firewood season. Have sold 7 ricks this month vice zero in July the past three years.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Is this available
    How low will you go
    (I won't respond to either):rolleyes:

I put an ad (for a tonneau cover) on FBM last week. Price 75$.
    Second message asked if I'd take 50.
    Sure, I'll knock off 33% 10 seconds after the ad goes up...:picard:

I looked at other tonneau covers first, 75$ was the lowest price i found...

The first inquiry asked what the length was.:confused: the ad stated 07 short bed dodge.
    There's 2 choices...short bed ...or long bed...:zip:...
    Not to mention his replies made no sence. Either he was an idiot or had really bad language/typing skills.

I hate people....:emb:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

i hate stupid people even more! Why...becuase they are stupid!

17. Flamestead

Flamestead

There’s the transaction cost - sounds like a few people replying here don’t like sorting through the riff raff to find a solid buyer.

18. EODDiver

EODDiver

In mid to late October when the TN heating season starts, I rarely encounter weird customers. It is all straight forward business then. I usually get their name and address on the initial contact and all they want to know is when I am delivering.

19. Dstrick

Dstrick

“You should be able to get your truck and trailer down our driveway,” they said. “Other trucks have had no problems,” they said.

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

People who dont understand wood volume. Explained multiple times to a new customer last weekend how much a quarter cord is. Even gave them a liberal 1/4 with 200 splits. I get there and husband thought it would be more than that. I politely offered another 1/4 to him at a discount (it was VERY close to storage) and he declined. Turns out for Winter burning in their stove, not a firepit.

I now included a picture of a quarter cord plus the wood they will get or the stack where its pulled from. Got a call tonight for the same and the guy couldnt have been nicer.

I usually dont advertise volume wood retail in the Summer but have some older inventory i want to move and be rid of.