In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fluid film

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Woodwhore, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

So i heard about fluid film for my undercarriage of the truck. Ill be keeping this truck as long as i can and want to make it last. Does fluid film treatment seal in rust and make it worse. Have any of you guys ever used it or dont like the process. Thanks my truck is a 2016 2500 ram and has very little rust

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Go for it...it will pretty much stop rust dead in its tracks if you can completely cover it...might not hurt to touch up the FF on those spots once a year or so though.
    Around here we have places that do oil spray...that is quite effective too, and for the $40-$60 that they charge, I can't justify DIY...and they use new oil made for the job (has an additive that makes it cling) whereas I would be using drain oil...

3. Armbru84

Armbru84

Fluid film is good stuff...I have used it also. comes in handy to get the wide spray nozzle so your not overworking your index finger :)

4. jo191145

jo191145

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

:binoculars:

6. Warner

Warner

I have used fluid film on our vehicles for a while now. Sticks well seems to help. I usually spray it down then drive on a dirt road to get the dust to stick to it. I makes repairs a bit more messy but I think it’s worth it. Only complaint I have is My wife says that it smells like sour milk.

7. Maina

Maina

I’ve been having my truck sprayed every fall for 5 years now and I highly recommend it. It does smell a little at first because of the high lanolin content, but it stopped the surface rust I had was seeing under my 5 year old truck in it’s tracks and turned it all black again just as if it’s been painted. With it just turning 50k I intend to drive it for at least another 10 years and rust was my only fear. No more. I spent most of my career in the auto and heavy duty industry and I’ve never seen anything else that’s nearly as effective. The way the roads are treated in Maine vehicles don’t tend to last long before rusting out.

8. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Yea here in nh too, lots of salt. Thank you do you do it yourself?

Maina, Chvymn99, Jack Straw and 4 others like this.
  9. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Do you buy cases of cans or a gallon and put it in a sprayer

Maina, Chvymn99, Jack Straw and 4 others like this.
  10. hotshot

hotshot

11. Locust Post

Locust Post

Corrosion X aviation is what I use for the inner pane!a in every crack or orifice I can find, also drilled the jambs and undercoat plugged them. Corrosion X HD for the exterior underbody.

12. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I buy it in a 5 gal pail & run it through an undercoat gun. Works well.

13. fuelrod

fuelrod

Good stuff, you can brush it on out of a gallon can, about $36 bucks locally at NAPA. I have the economy sprayer and think I'll step up to the better one in the video above.
    It's better to do on a lift, but I've done it on a creeper and when I cant suppress my inner hillbilly...... DSCN8534.jpg
    but it flows much better in a warm shop.

14. Warner

Warner

I started with the cans. Then went to the gallon can with the sprayer.

15. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I want to lift up my utility trailer to coat the frame with FF, but I never thought of lifting up my truck! :bug::rofl: :lol::thumbs::thumbs:

16. Maina

Maina

I pay a local shop to do it when I go in for the annual inspection and oil change. I usually only put on 2-3k miles a year and it sits a lot.

17. Semipro

Semipro

This guy on YT does a great job testing many things, including undercoating.

18. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

I spray our trucks once in the late spring and then again in October with Fluid Film. I can attest to how well it works to combat the rust here on our vehicles. I take time to get it inside the doors, fenders, hood, tailgate, cab corners and frame rails every other year as these areas are not susceptible to it getting washed off from road spray.

I agree with driving down a dusty dirt road after applications to help it build up a crust that is not as likely to get washed off quickly.

amateur cutter, Maina and brenndatomu like this.
  19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Me too...but too bad there are no gravel roads left within a 20-30 minute drive!
    Wonder if the neighbor would mind if I was racing back and forth on his field access lane...:whistle:

20. Ou812

Ou812

I use fluid film whenever I can on our fleet around battery connections but isn't cheap so I don't undercoat. I have a cousin who makes a concoction pretty similar involving melted down toilet bowl wax rings and bar and chain oil I believe. He sprays it on and it's much cheaper. The stuff runs through his frame but will harden right up in October.