In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fixing the silverware drawer front in the kitchen that broke off!

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Jun 22, 2019.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Has this ever happened to you? The silverware draw is used more than any other draw in the house and the other day during a normal opening of the draw, the right side just broke right off!
    The drawer fronts are fairly new, approx 10 years old but the rest is approx 55 years old!
    Since the glue dried up, I put new generous amount of gorilla wood glue in the slots, banged it back with a rubber hammer and then installed two L brackets from Home Depot with one screw in the solid wood front and a 6x32 3/4” long bolt with beveled head with a nut and C lock washer on the side.
    So glued, screwed and bolted in!
    Will that hold it for a while?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I think the glue will do the job!

brenndatomu, Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  3. chris

chris

not an unusual problem, repaired many along the same lines. Even the dovetailed ones give up. Wood shrinkage is the most common culprit combined with overweight and rough handling. The particle board and less than adequate plywood units are a real pain - no structural integrity to work with.

Chaz, Jack Straw, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  4. don2222

don2222

Hello
    There is not much room for an L bracket but I feel it is much more secure than just glue.
    Luckily it does just barely fit. :)

Attached Files:

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  5. fishingpol

fishingpol

Soft close drawer slides can help for the ones used the most.

6. chbryson

chbryson

Not necessarily true. With the soft close mechanism you are pulling against the unit under tension trying to open the drawer. It helps on the closing side of things to delay to close and not just slamming closed and the items slamming the back of the drawer. In the case of the drawer construction shown, the L bracket is the best way to fix it. Any of the cabinet brands I deal with now adays make a 4 sided box and you attach the handles through the drawer face and the drawer box, so the handle screws are also helping hold everything together and you are pulling everything open at once.

7. chris

chris

face slams against frame eventually box breaks on front corners Back end never seems to have problem. even the dove tail joints give up under that kind of stress after 30 or more years. silverware drawer and the everthing but the kitchen sink drawer are the first to go.

8. chbryson

chbryson

I can agree with you on even some of the Dovetail joints giving up. I have seen where the joints have shrunk and were just press fit completely together no glue or hot glue anywhere on the whole box it is amazing what some manufacturers can sell and be certified as an KCMA "Quality" product.

I am waiting on a kitchen delivery shortly that the dovetail drawer boxes have better fit and finish on them then most of the cabinetry at the big box stores have on the outside.

The old saying of "You get what you pay for" is absolutely true.

eatonpcat and don2222 like this.
  9. billb3

billb3

The wide swings in humidity levels here in the northeast can wreck cabinets and some furniture somewhat prematurely. And nice, well made front doors. I'm surprised finger jointed items stay finger jointed as well as they do.

don2222 likes this.