In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fiskers Maul

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Reloader, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Reloader

Reloader

Initial impressions are this is going to be a winner.
    Fiskers Maul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stlshrk, Stoveburner38 and Marvin like this.
  2. lotifoazurri

lotifoazurri

I really love mine - works great on oak and lighter woods; the only thing I have had trouble with is dogwood.

Not sure if the anti-vibration features are baloney or not but my wrists don't ache as much versus a normal wood-handled maul.

Stlshrk, Dakota Hoarder and Marvin like this.
  3. Marvin

Marvin

Stoveburner38 likes this.
  4. Stoveburner38

Stoveburner38

Welcome to the club.

Marvin likes this.
  5. lotifoazurri

lotifoazurri

Dakota Hoarder and Marvin like this.
  6. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Hi and welcome. Just a heads up. We like pics, dog, beer and more pics. If ya don't have a pic it didn't happen.

lotifoazurri and Marvin like this.
  7. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Loaned my 8lb maul out. Also some wedges and an 8lb sledge. Strict instructions to only use the sledge with the wedges. The maul, which has a polly over fiberglass handle, came back with a big crack next to the handle. There was a big scar at the crack where some one had overswung. The scar started at the hammer side of the head. "Oh No, we never used it on the wedges". My reply was that they must have found the wood hard to split using the blunt end of the sledge! The reason I only wanted the sledge used on the wedges is because it is a Harbor Freight tool that I have no attachment to. Plus, 100% guaranty, over counter exchange. The sledge has had a long service life with me. At any rate, I am thinking of getting the Fiskars maul. Have an X27 and like it. Comforting to have a 100% guaranty!

Dakota Hoarder and Midwinter like this.
  8. Midwinter

Midwinter

Bummer. Sorry they didn't follow your instructions. You are a generous man to loan out your tools, I don't think I would let mine out of my sight. I don't use an Isocore but lots of people like it.

9. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

I have an X-27 and an isocore, they each have a place

Dakota Hoarder, Dancan and metalcuttr like this.
  10. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

After an exhaustive search I was unable to find a Fiskars maul. I wanted a maul with a 100% guarantee. I located a Husky maul at Home Depot with such a warranty for half the price of the Fiskars and bought it. Immediately set about attacking the last sections of the huge Fir tree that we have been working on. I also brought along the old school maul that I had repaired. After three of us had tried the Husky we were in agreement that I should return it! The butt sections were fairly straight grained but still resisted the Husky which has a fairly blunt entry on the cutting edge. We would hit multiple times with the maul barely penetrating and bouncing off. On smaller rounds it worked fine but so did the X-27 with much less effort! Maybe it would work better on a more brittle or harder wood but on our spongier Fir a sharper edge is required! I resorted to the old school maul with a finer entry and it worked far better with the narrower angle of the cutting edge allowing the head to bite deeper! Still a lot of work with a few of the butts requiring wedges. I used Midwinter 's method of scoring the top of the round with the saw then setting the wedges toward the outer edges. Worked well! Returned the Husky and on a whim went by Lowes again and lo the rack was newly filled with Fiskars mauls! I have a $10 off coupon that comes due in a few days and will bite the bullet and get one then!

11. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Interesting review in the Husky maul. I also find that the x27 splits better than most mauls at 1/2 the weight. I’m sure the Fiskars ISO Core would have taken care your bigger rounds no problem. I use the ISO core for 1/2ing or quartering 25”+ rounds or knoty narly stuff then switch to the x27 to get rounds to reasonable size. If the ISO core can’t split it it’s noodle time.

Last time I was at Lowe’s they had ISO Cores in stock.

Stlshrk, Midwinter and metalcuttr like this.