In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fiskars 6lb maul

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by dave_026, Nov 30, 2020.

1. dave_026

dave_026

2. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I think it'd be a waste of money for you considering what you already have.

It'd be like saws. Lets say you already have a 50cc and 70cc saw, would you really need a 60cc saw? Maybe if you didn't have the other two.

metalcuttr and Dakota Hoarder like this.
  3. bushpilot

bushpilot

I am not sure it adds anything to the mix. Perhaps for someone who can't swing the Isocore for long?

4. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Interesting. Just in time for Christmas! I’d like to try it, but don’t really “need” it since I already have the other two. I’d like to see a comparison vs. the 8 pounder.

metalcuttr likes this.
  5. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Lets keep in mind Sotz advertised the 11lb maul with the 8 lb head as the ladys maul.......just saying.

Yawner and metalcuttr like this.
  6. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Not seeing your point. Of course you need another saw!

Husky Man, Ron T and Sinngetreu like this.
  7. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

You can swing the 6lb faster. Keep in mind that energy is increased by the square of the velocity (how fast you swing) but mass only increases it numerically (weight of the head)! Energy=mass x velocity squared.

8. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I guess I should amend this. KEnergy = 1/2 mass x velocity squared. The above still applies.

9. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

The physics lesson on a firewood forum. Whodathunk?

But if you are going by that formula, then a 1lb that you can swing faster would create more energy. But it probably wouldn’t split better than the 6 or 8 lb maul.

So what is the missing element?

10. Ou812

Ou812

I don't know about anyone else but we have a six pound and an 8 pound sledge at work. For me I am 10x more comfortable swinging the six. Not that I can't swing the 8 but I am much more comfortable, and confident swinging the 6... I guess it all comes down to comfort

11. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

If the two lb difference in weight makes the difference of being able to swing it or not, its probably best to skip mauls and just use an axe, which he already has. Or better yet get a mechanical splitter and relegate the mauls to retirement.

12. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I think a Fiskars 6lb maul of the same design of the 8lb IsoCore would be a great splitting tool. I would let the Young Bucks use the 8lb unit!

13. Jekyl

Jekyl

I just might grab me one of those 6lb Fiskars. The only maul I have is all steel including the handle. I figure it's around 12 lbs. I'm not old, but swinging 12 lbs for any length of time is no fun. That maul was given to me. A 6 lb maul sounds more user friendly. Most of my splitting is done with a nice hydraulic splitter. I picked that machine up in New York where it is made. Love it. I had considered a Gransfors Bruk maul, but I am gonna look hard at that Fiskar. Never held one though. Looks nice.

14. Jekyl

Jekyl

But then again, for $179.00. LOL, probably not today!

Dakota Hoarder and Ou812 like this.
  15. Husky Man

Husky Man

They probably won’t sell many at that price, I just googled it, and Walmart.com had 2 left at $71.76, which is a bit more than I paid for the Iso Core 8# Maul, but prices are going up on Everything. Have you priced .223/5.56 Ammo lately???(IF you can even FIND any)

Anyhow, Walmart showed 2 in stock, should be 1 now, supposed to arrive by December 23rd.
    I HOPE that it doesn’t go by FedEx, they have Sucked the Worst this year. I just got some Sugihara bars from HLSupply, they made pretty good time from Florida to Ontario, OR, then it took 24 hours to travel about 20 miles to Huntington, where they sat for a couple days, Finally made it to the Troutdale hub, 30 miles from my house, and sat 2 more days, then Oh Boy, on the truck for delivery, well I was off, and watched for the truck, nothin, checked tracking, BACK in Troutdale, Finally delivered yesterday, for Schitts and Giggles, I looked at tracking, according to FedEx, they aren’t in my Garage(which they are) those bars are (Supposedly) Back in Troutdale Again, scheduled for delivery on Monday. It would be nice if FedEx had ANOTHER box of 7 Sugi bars for me, but I kinda doubt it (Darn)
    My 395XP, shipped from Arcadia, WI it made Good time to Troutdale, then sat there for 6 Days, with several tracking notations of “NO Delivery Attempt Made”

Have I mentioned that I don’t have a Very Polite Opinion of FedEx???

I will let you know what I think (IF) When it gets here

Doug :cheers:

Dakota Hoarder, Ronaldo and Jekyl like this.
  16. Yawner

Yawner

This is so strange! I was going to ask this very question... has anyone ever seen a maul between the x27 and the Isocore and I'll be danged, here's your thread, and there is an answer! I was just musing about a maul that is just a little lighter than the Isocore and I look forward to looking into this!

17. Yawner

Yawner

Well, I'm just getting winded quicker and it makes me mad, lol. :headbang:

18. Yawner

Yawner

I think it was last year around end of winter and there was a rack full of Isocore mauls at Walmart and they were dirt cheap. It was so cheap, I told two friends about it, hey, you should go get one! I already had one or I would have. Might should have bought another anyway! But I sure would like to try one of these 6lb ones.

I find that the Isocore will split some rounds that the x27 won't or the x27 takes way too many whacks. I also find that the Isocore wears me out quicker than I wish!

19. Yawner

Yawner

Well, lucky me. I found a 6 lb version on Ebay for $50 incl shipping. Then I found they also have come out with a 2.5 lb version and I found that at LifeandHome.com for $45 and I got that too! Tax on top of that. I bought the 2.5 lb one because I have a Estwing Fireside Friend little splitter maul hatchet and I use it all the time and need one for taking to the woods. And these are Christmas gifts for myself that my gf will pay for, lol. I tell ya, I am all set in the Fiskars firewood department.

20. dave_026

dave_026

The Fiskars pricing is all over the place on Amazon. I got my Isocore 8lb at a local hardware store, but got my x27 for a ~$35-40 on Amazon.

I am strongly leaning towards passing on the 6lb until one of my other mauls gets broken/lost- My garage is getting too full of toys.

Dakota Hoarder likes this.