In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

First fire 24/25

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Warner, Sep 21, 2024 at 9:06 AM.

1. Warner

Warner

IMG_4184.jpeg Cleaned the stove and vent. Gave it a test fire. Noticed come cracks in the burn pot liner, Ordered replacements. Ready for the season.

What do you all do with the pellet bags? Seems wasteful to just toss them. Between chicken feed and salt for the water softener I got enough trash bags for years. Lol

When do have your first fire?

2. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

3. Warner

Warner

Nice, still got about a month before the wood stove will be lit.

brenndatomu and MikeInMa like this.
  4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I use softener salt bags to dispose of my spare ashes in the trash, after they cool in metal 5 gallon buckets (often til spring) I say "spare ashes" because some of it goes on the yard/garden...but if it has any nails/metal that goes in the trash for sure. Once in a while I'll find a good use for using one for some kind of "heavy duty" trash, but not often enough, they be stacking up!

theburtman and MikeInMa like this.
  5. Skier76

Skier76

Congrats! And good call on testing it out now and finding that minor issue.

I hear you on the bags; it’s pretty wasteful. I don’t believe our trash hauler deems them as recyclable. I should look in to it more.

brenndatomu likes this.
  6. bogieb

bogieb

I use pellet and cat food bags as trash bags and to scoop the waste from the cat litter into. Most years I still have a bunch of last season's bags going into the new season so I end up taking them to the transfer station. Our household trash is transferred to a plant that burns the waste for electricity production. So, I don't feel too bad about it, but really do hate to see the waste. Closest place that claims to recycle the bags (in a Google search) is the Goffstown dump - but that is for locals (as they all are) and I'm not sure that is entirely accurate as it just might be plastics.

I did start the mini split a couple of days ago to keep the house at 68*. Haven't uncovered my exhausts or hooked up the OAKs to either stove yet. The basement is starting to get cooler, so it may not be long until that gets turned on.

brenndatomu, Rich250, Warner and 2 others like this.