In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Firewood "security"

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by BrianK, Jul 21, 2014.

1. BrianK

BrianK

In 2012 there were stories about the economic collapse in Greece and citizens burning everything they could get their hands on:
    http://www.npr.org/2013/01/22/169931378/under-a-cloud-of-austerity-real-smoke-clouds-greece-as-well

Over the past several winters there were many reports of stolen firewood here in the US.
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/01/21/nh-thieves-raiding-woodpiles-for-firewood/

If our economy continues to crumble that type of theft is only going to increase.

I do not have a shed or barn to store firewood and I live in a neighborhood where this could easily become a concern. I was actually thinking of installing a metal car port and enclosing it with chain link fence with a locking gate. Locks at least keep honest people honest.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas that have worked for you but that won't break the bank to implement?

2. Stinny

Stinny

Fences are good. Video cam setups are pretty cheap now. Deterent signs... "Property Protected by Satelite Video 24/7"... "Property Protected by Smith & Wesson"... "Never Mind the Dog, Beware of the Owner"... "We Practice Gun Control Here, We Use Both Hands and We Hit The Target" ... other NRA or gun related signs. Anything to get jugheads thinking maybe another home would be a better target? Of course, that's assuming they can read.

3. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

I've had this thought many times. Aside from securing the wood, everything else is a deterrent only. Some people could care less if they get caught...it's hard to stop people who have nothing to lose.

4. BrianK

BrianK

image.jpg I'm thinking something along the lines of this. It would permit air movement but still provide a measure of security. It would be lockable and could have motion sensor lighting and security camera.

5. Stinny

Stinny

That's as good as it could be.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  6. savemoney

savemoney

Motion sensors that set off loud alarms. Maybe trip wire to do the same. Can be tricky to rules out critters and wind. But I agree that a sign saying a security system is in place will often cause some to shop someplace else.
    We use lights and two big dogs. Never are away at night.

Backwoods Savage and Stinny like this.
  7. HoneyFuzz

HoneyFuzz

Great ideas ! Dont forget the sign that says..."trespassers will be shot.....survivors will be shot again". LOL.

8. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

That's really nice, but it won't be cheap. It's amazing how much metal and hardware has gone up.:eek:

HoneyFuzz likes this.
  9. BrianK

BrianK

I'm thinking just a basic metal carport then look for used chain link fencing on Craigslist. It shouldn't be that hard to create a similar enclosure and I can incorporate some extra vertical boards to stack against inside.

Backwoods Savage and HoneyFuzz like this.
  10. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

Here's my security

mousekiller.jpg

11. savemoney

savemoney

Fencing is usually practical and what is used in most places to secure items. Putting it in a secured building is good but 3 years of wood is a lot of bulk. I would tell you not to have it in your front yard where anyone can drive right up to it. At least have the view from the road blocked with stockaid fence. Out of sight, often out of mind.

12. savemoney

savemoney

Police will tell you that having a dog is a major factor to cause thieves to go somewhere else.
    It isn't the fear of the dog, it is their barking that draws attention. Outside dogs are less effective because the thieves may come prepared to silence the dog. Inside dogs keep barking and drawing attention. I have two big dogs. The female is much more alert and sets off the male.

13. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

If we're preparing for economic collapse, firewood won't be my number 1 concern.... :eek::hair:

I like the dog idea too.

14. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

There's a difference between "crumble" and "collapse". The crumble is already happening IMHO..

I'm a fan of educating the neighbors to make sure that they are well prepared and understand the method behind my madness for wood hoarding... If your neighbors are looking out for you too, you're in better shape. If your neighbors are the ones you fear would dip into your stacks, then that's another story since they'd have a lot better opportunity to know when you're home or gone and might even be friendly with the dog.. Only reason I bring this up is because my brother in law had the neighbors dipping into his stacks a couple of years ago for wood to burn in a fire pit. When he learned about it, he was pizzED...

15. jetjr

jetjr

The only downside about NRA type stickers/shooting stickers is they let people know there is guns inside while maybe your not.

splitoak and BrianK like this.
  16. BrianK

BrianK

I'm not preparing for economic collapse, but that's certainly a possibility. It wouldn't take much to collapse the value of the US dollar, in fact given all the quantitative easing there isn't much left propping it up except that it is used as the global basis for the petroleum trade. If the rest of the world figures out how to de-couple the petroleum trade from the US dollar, we're sunk.

That being said, in an economic collapse, tangible assets are better than paper currency. All that firewood is a tangible asset that assures an ability to heat and cook when the US dollar may no longer do so, in which case firewood security just might creep up on that list of concerns. Worst case scenario, we stack stack several cords in our basement garage. I'm just not thrilled with the idea of the bugs that will come with it.

17. Stinny

Stinny

My favorite...

Chvymn99, HoneyFuzz and BrianK like this.
  18. Stinny

Stinny

I'll bet if that collapse were to happen in Feb... you'd feel differently about that... ;) You're right, there'd be many other things to consider. I bet lots of folks (majority) won't even give heat in sub zero temps, even the slightest thought until it happens. Having firewood stored out of sight, if possible, might be a good plan too... if living in areas that it'll be seen by lots of people.

19. BrianK

BrianK

Yep. Same thoughts that precipitated this thread. It's been on my mind a lot, and I think this country is headed for serious trouble of some sort, soon.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  20. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator