In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Firewood prices during this inflation

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Perry long jr, Mar 6, 2022.

1. Perry long jr

Perry long jr

Good morning my friends, me and my boy was out cutting and stacking and he ask me ask me a business question about selling firewood. With propane , natural gas and the cost of electricity at all time highs how does anyone come out selling firewood. Most guys around here want 65 dollars to 75 dollars a truck load and to be honest it’s not always the best firewood. With gas near $4.00 gallon, cost of equipment and the wear and tear on it and then your labor cost how does anyone come out selling at those prices? To me anyone should at least get $300.00 a cord to make a profit and cover the cost of everything involved in harvesting firewood. What’s your opinion on this.

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I try not to figure my time involved to produce a cord and if i did id quit. Its a labor of love for me.

I get $350 for a cord of black locust (my specialty) and $280 for a cord of red oak. Most of my sales are half cords of mixed hardwood for $140. I have minimal overhead.
    More than likely going up on price this Fall.

3. Perry long jr

Perry long jr

The labor and time involved is worth every penny of it for sure.

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

That hardest part is 75% of my wood is scrounged roadside. I dont have a steady source for it.

5. B.Brown

B.Brown

People do NOT have any idea, what it takes to , cut,spit,unload a “honest” cord of wood. Then you figure in , tools, drying times, storage, etc it can get real expensive quick!

6. B.Brown

B.Brown

And, YOU EARN EVERY PENNY OF IT!

7. jrider

jrider

To anyone who sells wood, raise prices and raise em now!

8. Rich L

Rich L

Ya the money elites have the working class by the jugular.They raise the prices at a whim due to greed.They control every thing needed to survive.There's no supply problem for them.They set all of this chaos up.The new normal is scrapping for essentials.I do roof repairs.The product I use much of the time is a roof coating.Before everything went up I was paying $ 237.00/5 gal.pail now the price is $586.00 per pail.Now I'm force to charge the customer so much more many won't be able to afford the service.Retailers are being hit the same way.Customers can only focus on what's needed as they buy less just to survive.Retailers will lay off workers due to not doing the business as before.Some will close and people will have no jobs.Many Wood sellers will have to raise their prices because costs are way up.The people's dollars can only go so far.We are in a terrible mess and we haven't seen anything yet sad to say.

Biddleman, JimBear, B.Brown and 4 others like this.
  9. Perry long jr

Perry long jr

Totally agree jrider, we don’t sell firewood and we probably could but to much undercutting in
    My area. Most customers do have a idea how hard it is to work up a cord of wood especially good premium wood oak, locust, and etc. to me it worth every bit 300.00 to 350.00 dollars a cord.

10. Perry long jr

Perry long jr

Your totally right own the mess we are in. It’s so depressing just to watch the news anymore. Washington is out of touch with the blue collar man. And eventually the end of this will be bad. I see a depression coming in our near future.

11. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

99% of mine is the same

12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I quit when they went fictional...bet I haven't seen an hour in total all year, and most of that was just because I was a bit early to see the weather (which is fictional half the time too) just so I know how much wood to load over the next 24 hours...

13. JimBear

JimBear

We had severe thunderstorms & tornado warnings yesterday & expecting 4” of snow tonight. Mid - upper 70’s last week, calling for single digits on the overnights midweek. That’s why I check the weather also.

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah it hit 70 here today...supposed to rain like crazy the next day or two (heard a weather alert saying that we could see the worst flooding since the early 80's...hope they're wrong on this one!) and then turning back to snow.

15. JimBear

JimBear

Hopefully the flooding doesn’t come to fruition.

16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Well...2" in about 4-5 hours early this morning caused some flooding issues for sure...haven't heard yet if it hit the level that they were touting from the early 80's...my guess would be no, but I also don't know how much rain they got in that specific area either...

T.Jeff Veal and amateur cutter like this.
  17. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Most wood sellers need gas/diesel/oil to buck the wood, split the wood, and deliver the wood. In addition the heating alternatives are going way up. Of course the prices of firewood should go up accordingly.

These times make all the hard work of felling, bucking, splitting, stacking, burning and enjoying my own firewood so worth it.

18. Woodchucker

Woodchucker

Totally agree. That's why Ill be working on moving most of my firewood into wholesale bundles this summer instead of doing bulk/truckloads.

19. Rich L

Rich L

Good points. These times may have you and all of us stacking and splitting and cutting more than every.I think there will be so many more folks trying to get into wood burning it won't be funny.It may be difficult t0 find enough wood.I plan on hoarding like crazy just to have enough to carry me for as many years ahead as I can.

20. Chud

Chud

I delivered to a lot of people this winter that already had a pile of not the best firewood. Got callbacks from people that burned all my wood and still had the same untouched piles of not the best wood. They will pay more next winter for wood that is better than not the best. I have about 4 splitting sessions left before it’s time to fill cans again. Next winter should be great for wood sellers now that only the rich can heat with lp, natural gas and oil.