In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Firewood delivery guy got rear-ended in front of my property

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by Casper, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Casper

Casper

Just got back in the house. My neighbor across the street was having some firewood delivered. His supplier had a 14k goose-neck dump trailer and a 2022 RAM with strobes and hazzard lights going. Those lights were what caught my eye while we were sitting in the living room. I thought the state was spreading salt and that caused me to look out the window. The delivery guy sat there for a few minutes, I assume he was figuring out how to not put his trailer into the ditch while backing in.

This is a state route, speed limit is 55. While I was watching the lights, I saw some strange sudden movement, steam/smoke and a millisecond later, my wife and I, both heard a loud crash/smashing sound. My wife immediately called 911 to say we were pretty an accident had taken place. I went out, got in my car and drove out the drive (400' long, and down the road a few hundred feet. The S-10 that hit the firewood guy was in the ditch. The firewood guy, along with his wife, were OK. His trailer was part way in the drive when he was hit in the rear passenger side quarter. The impact broke the dullies rear axle from the frame, the input yoke was pointing down, driveshaft on the road. The bed was jacked up too, but the trailer wasn't hit. The S-10 guy was entrapped, but some people were helping him. No EMS or LEO were on scene at that moment.

I went down to the nearest intersection and blocked the road, since traffic was backing up. The vehicles directly in front of my house turned around in one of my driveways and freed up space for emergency vehicles.

The S-10 guy had a pulse when they got him out over an hour later. They life-flighted him but question if he will make it.

Folks, we are sharing the road with some very inattentive drivers! Be careful out there. In my opinion, the firewood guy was doing everything right. There is no reason (well there is speculation) of why the S-10 driver didn't see and avoid this. Watch your backs.

I didn't get pics of the RAM, but here are a few of the S-10.
    20230121_194352.jpg Screenshot_20230121_203525_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230121_203639_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230121_203616_Gallery.jpg

Chaz, John D, wildwest and 12 others like this.
  2. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

damm, this sucks, hope the guy/kid driving the S10 can recover from his apparently stupid driving!

RCBS, John D, buZZsaw BRAD and 7 others like this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Dang!
    Unreal.
    Thanks for doing what you did Casper and for reporting on what I hope won’t become a tragedy for the family of the S10 driver.
    Also glad the delivery man & his wife are safe.
    We just never know, do we.

John D, Screwloose, JB Sawman and 5 others like this.
  5. Casper

Casper

I reposted in the general forum, I mistakenly posted in here.

6. Casper

Casper

56 yr old male. He is known to local LEO.

7. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

:bug:..... Zang... Thanks for doing what you and your wife did... Glad that the wooder's werent hurt...

RCBS, John D, buZZsaw BRAD and 6 others like this.
  8. Haftacut

Haftacut

So sad and so often unnecessary! Don’t look like the deliver truck and trailer had much give to themo_O Hope the guys alright

RCBS, John D, Screwloose and 4 others like this.
  9. Dok440

Dok440

Not much left of that S10, hope he is okay. It seems like driving is third or lower on the list of things to concentrate on for a lot of drivers these days.

RCBS, John D, buZZsaw BRAD and 8 others like this.
  10. clay shooter

clay shooter

thats bad hope every one was ok.

RCBS, Screwloose, JB Sawman and 2 others like this.
  11. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

12. Casper

Casper

Just heard from someone on scene last night that the guy didn't make it to the hospital. He passed away in the helo en-route to Cleveland.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  13. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Can't like that.

14. jrider

jrider

15. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Scary on the roads anymore my day job is a road dept worker I end up flagging a lot and I see the inattentive drivers all the time I have been lucky but I have had some close calls had to jump out of the way more than once did I mention I hate cell phones !! there are to many things in the cars today to distract drivers and you add the usual drug and alcohol and fatigue to the mix you can not let your guard down bad that it ended that way but glad the others were all ok JB

RCBS, John D, morningwood and 9 others like this.
  16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Scary chit! Seeing the condition of the S10 id be surprised if the guy had made it. I cant imagine the sound being that close. I heard an accident like that years back. Screech/ crash/crunch. Glad the other two are okay.

With distracted drivers these days and folks who dont like to slow down its scary. If its a busy road i wont even scrounge there.

RCBS, Stephiedoll, JB Sawman and 4 others like this.
  17. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

I see 50%+ of drivers on their phones. We were pulling out of the store yesterday and a girl came flying into town in a big suv while staring down at her phone! Unfortunately, getting into a wreck like this is the only thing that might teach them not to do it. Very sad. Keep your eyes open and drive a solid steel rig.

18. John D

John D

You know how important the cell phone is and speeding just to pass the guy to get to the red light first

19. RCBS

RCBS

Riding a motorcycle taught me to never trust anyone on the roads. I am thankful for that as the quality of driving by those I share the roads with has deteriorated greatly in just the last 5 years. The habits cross over. You can no longer expect people to behave reasonably behind the wheel.

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Same here...riding a motorcycle taught me to make sure that people at an upcoming intersection actually "see" me...as in, they appear to have made eye contact with me (as much as you can in the situation)