In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Finally milled some oak

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by buzz-saw, Jan 18, 2021.

1. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

After months of no cutting I finally got out yesterday and was able to put Granberg Mill through a good test run on some oak. It was a little slow and quite a workout but I am pretty happy with the end result. Eight really nice slabs ( 2 more still in trailer and not shown ) widest just shy of 18 inches wide 1 3/8 thick and 5 foot long.

There is more where this came from and looking forward to round two soon.

Hope today to spend an hour or two and sharpen chains so I am ready to go when the time comes.

Attached Files:

2. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Any plans for the slabs?

buzz-saw and M2theB like this.
  3. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Yes , the wife has been wanting a small rustic kitchen table to replace the one we have now.
    A small square table that is right around 50 inches and bar height. Only the two of us so the size really works out well for our needs.
    We downsized from a full size table a year or so ago and have really enjoyed the smaller table that is higher than a normal table height and a little more room in the kitchen is also a plus.

I stacked them in the basement to start drying so it will be a while before I can actually do something with them. I am going to find some time today to get some paint on the ends to hopefully slow down the drying on the ends and prevent them from splitting. I have done my fair share of woodworking over the years but never with wood that I have cut myself.
    Looking forward to seeing what I can do.

Next trip out I am going to work on milling some pieces for the legs.

MFMc., fishingpol, JB Sawman and 4 others like this.
  4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Nice boards! I don't think most people have any idea just how much work is involved in chainsaw milling. Since you're familiar to woodworking, I'd imagine you know the importance of proper sticker stacking. My learning curve was steep there. I knew what was needed but didn't realize how much apple wood twist, cup and bow. Should have had some cheap wratchet straps. :picard:

Do you just plan on letting the air dry?

MFMc., buzz-saw, JB Sawman and 2 others like this.
  5. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Should make for a nice table. If you can keep the warp down to a minimum it will save you a lot of work and time later on when you go to use it.

6. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Yes that was my plan ; unless anyone has any other tips that might be of help.

Right now they are sticker stacked in my basement and ends have been painted.

Learning curve for me so any input from others would be appreciated.

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  7. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

apple wood is some crooked wood to dry oak is usually not to bad to dry JB

8. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Well that's good news. You don't get much of that lately with everything going on.

Any chance you are still selling ripping chains for the mill? If you are I would rather send it your way instead of elsewhere. Your chains I had gotten from you a while back worked perfect.
    Thanks for the input.

Mag Craft and JB Sawman like this.
  9. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

yes still have rip chain PM me what you need and I will send them out JB

Mag Craft and buzz-saw like this.
  10. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Gorgeous planks. I think you may be better off with them outside rather than inside to get some circulation of fresh dry air, especially for the initial drying process. Also, the fumes that come off of freshly sawn oak are very corrosive. One of my first attempts at drying lumber, I put a big stack of green oak in my pole barn with a fan for about 2 weeks while I was out of town. When I came home, all exposed metal surface on everything in the barn was rusted/hazed from corrosion. Later on, once your board have reached EMC, 12% you can bring them inside +/- dehumidifier to bring them down to final ~8%. I'm no expert, but you can learn from my mistakes.

11. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Thanks , I was concerned about leaving them out with the weather here. Rain and snow ( although not much snow this year ) and them just not drying. Cant say that this is green so to speak , it has been down for a while before I got to it. I appreciate the input and might have to see about getting them out of the basement?
    Thanks again!!

12. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Will do , Thanks

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Those came out real nice Craig. Ill have to hook you up with the red cedar logs i have sitting here since the Spring...nicer than the first ones i gave you.
    If there are any specific logs youre looking for let me know. I run across a lot of wood.

buzz-saw and cnice_37 like this.