In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Finally got out milling today

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by blacksmithden, Nov 26, 2017.

1. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

I've had all the stuff together to do a little chainsaw milling for a few weeks now. Today, I finally dragged my neighbor out with me. We cut the slabs 3 1/2" thick. We got everything between 5 and 8 ft long...14 pcs total. I'd guess the birch we were cutting was about 20" at it's widest point. Good lord, they're heavy as all get out when you cut them that thick. We had to carry it all up a small incline, about 75 - 100 ft to get it to the truck. I'm definitely getting too old for this kind of stuff. LOL. My big saw (the Stihl 051AV) preformed like a champ for us. Man...these old saws have some serious grunt to them. I'm the guy with his face screen down. My neighbor is standing with one of the slabs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Black birch? I can imagine that heavenly wintergreen scent!!

I love making my own lumber! What are you planning on using the lumber for?

3. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

The wood is white/paper birch. My neighbor buddy wanted it to make some benches. Im eventually going to make a few tables for my rec room with my share, but there's no rush on it. It's going to have to dry for a while before that happens. Speaking of drying.....

I'm planning on putting a few pieces of it here in the basement to dry. I know that I need to seal the ends with something to prevent cracking...probably just some candle wax. It'll be sitting about 6 ft off to the side of my wood stove as that's really the only place I have to put it aside from outside, uncovered. Any tips you guys have to offer on drying would be greatly appreciated. :)

Woodslave and Scotty Overkill like this.
  4. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

You can seal the ends with nothing more than several applications of latex paint....that works ok.

As for storimg it, put sticker boards between each timber, and once stacked, put some heavy weight in it....or you could ratchet strap them together and occasionally tighten the straps every so often.

Being that thick, it's gonna take some time to season them....

5. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

Ok. They're out of the truck, stacked, and the ends are painted. 2 are in my basement to see how they dry. The rest are in my neighbor's garage. They sure didn't get any lighter overnight. lol. So far, 2 trucks driving 5 hours each, 2 guys 10 hours yesterday and 2 today, saws, chain, fuel for the saws (burnt 7L of fuel in them - 6 in the big saw, and 1 in my Husky), a hand full of lumber for spacers, a bit of paint, and a year off each of our lives. Sure doesn't look like much considering everything that went into them. LOL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shawn Curry, Woodslave and papadave like this.
  6. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Looks good! They sure are thick. Definitely get them ends sealed asap.

Shawn Curry, Woodslave and papadave like this.
  7. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

Yes sir. 3 1/2" worth of "this is going to kill you guys carrying this out of the bush" thickness. LOL. Thanks to Scotty Overkill's advice, I put a second coat of laytex on there about an hour ago. I'll put one last one on before bedtime. I've almost always got a fan running down here to keep the hot air from the wood stove moving around the basement. I'll point it toward the 2 slabs and see where we're at in a month. I'm concerned the outside may still dry too fast due to it's proximity to the stove, but....that's where I've got room for something as big as those slabs, and the stove isn't moving. It is what it is. Hopefully everything dries with a minimum of cracking.

8. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

One time I set a guys Alaskan mill up with 2, 051s on a double end 4' bar.
    We were milling western hemlock 2nd growth. With a good sharp chain in a 16" wide cut we could walk slowly but steadily down a 26' log. And it made the mill very well balanced.
    I've got a pair of 460 Stihl's that Ill be putting on a double end bar and using on a 36" mill. I don't expect it to be as fast as the 051s . But should still hike along pretty well.
    Good job. Should make some nice looking material.

mdavlee likes this.