In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Figs

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Eckie, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Eckie

Eckie

Anyone here into figs? I've recently gotten into a fig kick after doing some reading on a fruit forum. Have bought 2 potted figs, one of which already has figs on it, and a member of the other forum sent me two cuttings to root (which are coming along nicely). The inlaws have a large Celeste fig as well as two smaller ones that were starts off the original. Until my recent reading and searching, I never knew there were so any fig varieties. Interested to know if any of yall grow figs and if so, what varieties?

2. Camber

Camber

I use to pick so many of them on my place in South Carolina. I made gallons and gallons of fig wine in 275 gallon IBC totes. That was over twenty years ago now come to think of it. Don't remember what kind of figs, but you'd see them everywhere in bush form. I never really ate them being a Montanan, but they were chock full of sugar. I always figured they were probably under utilized.

T.Jeff Veal and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  3. Eckie

Eckie

Wow that's a ton of wine if you're making it in ibc totes! Yeah Montana might be a bit chilly for them, but I've learned folks in colder climates have ways of growing.

T.Jeff Veal and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Wait, what...?!
    :whistle:
    :rofl: :lol:

Pretty cool hobby... thought never crossed my mind to grow them.
    May you be successful in your growing adventure!
    :salute:

Least ya can’t smoke ‘em....
    :smoke:
    :rofl: :lol:

5. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

It's hard to keep em lit.:p

6. JackHammer

JackHammer

I have a few figs but they are mostly house plants for me. I keep them in the greenhouse and they are doing wonderfully. They really like hot humid weather. I think ficus is also in the fig family, I have a few of those but they are pretty small. Again, they seem to like jungle conditions.

7. Eckie

Eckie

Hahaha..yeah, there's a fruit forum. But a lot of folks would also say "wait, what?" in regards to a firewood forum. I stumbled upon the fruit place after I saw a pomegranate bush/tree being grown locally (which I had never fathomed and didn't know was possible) and looked for more information. Believe it or not, there are some folks that are as nuts for their fruit as we are for our firewood!

Eric VW and Ronaldo like this.