In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Feel safer now.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by trail twister, Mar 15, 2018.

1. trail twister

trail twister

Had a couple nice days a couple weeks ago. Removed the rear blade and loosened all the wheel lugs where they attach to the disk/wheel. Jacked the tractor up in the center set one of my jack stands under one side and a bottle jack on the other side.
    Removed the left tire and laid it againest the garage, removed the right tire rolled it around to the left side. Wiggled it in place and was able to get one bolt installed and partly tightened, then able to roll the wheel and get the rest of the bolts in and tight.

Got the tire leaning againest the garage around to the right wheel, bolts were not lineing up so attempted to roll the wheel. No luck needed to jack that side up more. As I was doing that the tire and rim fell down flat. Found out the tires really are filled with Rim Guard and are heavy. Was able to pry it part way up with a pry bar and kick a chunk of 2x6 under it. Then I was able to get a 8' 2x6 under it and lift the end to get it back up then rolled in place.

Got a bolt started then rolled the wheel to start a second one then the last two. Got the bolts all tight again and toqured. Width went from 55 inches out side to out side to 63 + out side to out side, sort of hard for me to reach that wide.

Tractor seems more stable now, the rear end feels funny how every when plowing snow with the back blade. I believe the rear tires being set wider now are cutting more of their own track in the snow.

Before.

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Had a bucket full of dead elm yesterday and it felt wayyyyyyyy More stable.
    Almost like a real tractor.

:D Al

HoneyFuzz, Chaz, Hammy and 11 others like this.
  2. Blstr88

Blstr88

Very cool. Can you do the same with the front tires?

Screwloose and Backwoods Savage like this.
  3. trail twister

trail twister

Yup just turn them from right to left and have thr dish out instead of in.

4. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Buy a used rear blade at a farm sale, cut it in half, bolt each half to each side of your current blade to widen it. Wider is better in this situation.

5. Flamestead

Flamestead

Check your manual. Some say do not change the width on the front.

I have the rears as wide as possible and left the fronts alone so they are within the width of the bucket.

6. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I tried this on my Kubota and it bump-steered too much for my liking, but physically it can be done. It does kind of suck having the front tires a little inboard than the rear wheels. About the only time it is a problem is when land plowing (overturning plow).

In 19 years of owning mine, I only flipped it over once. It was the slowest roll over I ever had...just stepped off the tractor like I was stepping into church; slow, calm, etc.

7. trail twister

trail twister

I don't plan on makeing my fronts wider. I was watching The track in the snow today. Instead of the rear tires running with the out side edge in the front tire tracks the rears were running on the inside edge of the front tire; As for wideing rhe rear blade Not going to do that either. I have paths in the woods the blade just squeaks thru now.

Today I had a load of elm in the bucket ran over a frozen chunk of snow and it was stable. In the past I would have made a pleat in the seat and been on 3 tires.

Chaz, Hammy, amateur cutter and 2 others like this.
  8. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I'm glad to hear that you are happier with the stability. I'd look around and see if I could find a woods HBL-72 blade or equivalent. It would be a good heavy blade that that tractor would never hurt and would be a good ballast.

9. trail twister

trail twister

I have four 65 pound suit case weights I add to this blade when I feel I need the ballast.

10. Casper

Casper

Two words...Rim Guard. Or, beet juice, but that would be four words.:thumbs:

11. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

I can't wrap my head around this description, it seems from this description you made your tractor narrower if the fronts stayed the same.

12. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

13. trail twister

trail twister

I got a quick hitch to fix the turn buckle mess.
    You can buy a HF QH for $99.00. Decided I wanted some thing a bit stronger after seeing a bent up HF QH after the guy had got stuck in the mud. I do have to make an adapter for the 3d link on some of my equipment. But like for the back blade it takes about 2 minutes to back in lift and move handles.

[​IMG]

I'll pass on the expensive sway bars that should have been standard. I was told that the New Holland boomers came standard with them. I'll probably go sight seeing in a tractor scrap yard this summer a few times and watch for some thing simular.

savemoney likes this.
  14. trail twister

trail twister

"Two words...Rim Guard. Or, beet juice, but that would be four words.:thumbs:"

Didn't read the first post all the way thru did ya Casper? told about the tire falling over and found it was full of beet juice and had to use a 2x6 to get it back up.