In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

For Sale Farmi winch 501

Discussion in 'FHC Classifieds' started by Woodslave, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Woodslave

Woodslave

Just saw this posted in a local Facebook yard sale in upstate New York near the VT border. Screenshot_2018-02-24-08-58-20.png

2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Are you going to go look at it Woodslave?

Woodslave likes this.
  3. Woodslave

Woodslave

No, already have a Farmi winch, and this was probably why I didn't see your post right off. KIMG0284.jpg

eatonpcat and Canadian border VT like this.
  4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Great answer:yes:

Woodslave likes this.
  5. chipper1

chipper1

I like to buy the newer shinnier one and sell mine for that price when I find a deal like that.

amateur cutter likes this.
  6. Woodslave

Woodslave

Not me
    , I'll stick with my 13 year old winch. I baby it and don't beat on my equipment

chipper1 likes this.
  7. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I think someone put a fesh coat on it before listing. The sticker has paint on it.

chipper1 likes this.
  8. chipper1

chipper1

Hard to see on my phone, it still looks better than mine lol.

9. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Smart seller. I was always told that a fresh coat of paint raises the price by $1000, and is not far from the truth.

A Lot of people just cannot see past rust which is really sad. Last week in my sheep class we discussed equipment and I told them, if they could look past rust, they would save THOUSANDS of dollars in their lifetime.

I agree with you, paint does nothing for the performance of a winch. I know nothing about Farmi Winches, but there is nothing to my Fransgard Winch, it is 30 years old and works just as good as when it was new. It is hardly shiny, but it cable reels in, cable spools out. :dex:

chipper1 and amateur cutter like this.
  10. chipper1

chipper1

I hear you.
    A fresh coat of paint from an owner doesn't do anything for me, and typically lowers the value I place on an item. If it was factory paint with low hrs of use, that's what I like. Although as I stated it does look better than mine, but I wouldn't pay more for it unless it increased the value for when I sold it to get a nicer one :).
    I'd rather be able to see the shiny new parts that have been put on and the actual wear when buying an item as many people sell polished turds.

What type of equipment do you use in the sheep business.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  11. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Junk...

There is not enough money in sheep farming really to have the nice stuff that dairy farmers have. As it was explained to me:

Dairy Farming: High tech, but high cash flow (they get paid every 2 weeks)
    Sheep Farming: Low tech, but low cash flow (we get paid once per year)

I use a lot of the equipment my grandfather has (thus 1950 era) because it still works and is sized right. As a welder/machinist I can keep it going. The hardest thing about that is keeping the steel-scrappers away from it thinking the junk I farm with is actually true junk. With the acreage I have, I should really have a bigger tractor, but then I would have to size everything up, and that would mean all my implements too. That would be expensive, not just in tractor costs, but a lot of implements.

Other times I fabricate my own equipment, which honestly I like to do, which if you saw my feller-buncher thread, you would readily see.

Occasionally I do buy new, but it is a last resort. I spent 3 days plowing with a single bottom plow because I refused to pay a couple of hundred bucks on a new two bottom plow. It took longer, but what is a little extra in fuel, and the kicker is; my local dealer has plow share parts for my 1952 Dearborn Plow stocked on the shelf!

Last year I renovated a 10 acre field using that old plow, a popil log, and a homemade seeder that used a portable generator, electric drill and 5 gallon bucket lid. The field actually came out really nice!

DSCN4974.JPG

Woodslave and chipper1 like this.
  12. chipper1

chipper1

Dang, I think I met my match, someone cheaper than me, I mean more frugal:rofl: :lol:.
    I like the seeder :thumbs:. How did you drop the seed onto it.
    I do a good amount of buying and selling myself. I'll buy whatever the item is I want on the cheap, then find another that's in better condition for the same or a little more and sell the first for a bit of a profit if I got a good enough deal or break even on it, but I end up adding a little to get a nicer one, wash rinse repeat until I get a nice one.
    Usually in this process I learn a lot more about the item I wanted and the various options as well as the specific problems they have and can then buy one that suites my needs better.
    You also know how it works when you finally decide to plunk down your hard earned cash on an item, the next day or sometimes even that day you always find another one that is cheaper or more what you want, so of course I buy them too and sell them or the first one to get the price down a little more :dancer:.
    Welcome to my life, so how many of whatever you need would you like, I'll find them for you :banana:.
    This was what came today:ups:.
    Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 11.12.34 PM.png

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    billb3, eatonpcat and Woodslave like this.