In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Explosive ignition on p43

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by D-Mac0211, Mar 23, 2018.

1. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

hey guys, I noticed like the past couple of days that every once in a while when my stove ignites it actually makes a audible pop. Like a small explosion. But tonight it lit and my wife and I heard a pop and I go look and there was actually smoke coming out of it through I think the front door like into the room. I think it came out right behind the door gasket where the fresh air is supposed to “wash the glass”. I’m using north country pellets and I noticed this has just been happening for like a week or 2 but not all the time. I noticed the pot has a lot of pellets in it when it does it. Any ideas on why it does it or what could be the problem?

2. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

Also I noticed idk if it’s because north country are soft wood pines or what but I noticed a lot of creasote buildup on the inside of the stove. Enough to where I have to take a razor scraper to peel it off of the inside of the stove. Is that normal with softwoods or no?

IHATEPROPANE, imacman and ivanhoe like this.
  3. Chaz

Chaz

I have no experience with pellet stoves.

My first thought is that you have a batch of pellets that is not dry enough.

The popping sound like popcorn going off? Or a firecracker?
    The creosote is the second thing that makes me think that.

Now, if you reread the first sentence, you'll realize that everything between there and here is pure speculation on my part. Hope you find the problem, as well as a resolution.

4. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

The pellets aren’t swollen like there was moisture. It actually sounds like if you threw an m80 into a water bucket. I mean not crazy loud but still enough to startle.

5. Chaz

Chaz

You'd know the pellets way better than I.
    The only other thing I can think of, which I guess is possible, but unlikely.
    I know that if I have wood that has mud/stones, the stones can literally blow up.

I hope you find some resolution, but it seems to me that you have a bad batch of pellets.

6. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

I know there wouldn’t be any stones in there but idk. I think it has something to do with the gasses during ignition but idk what would cause it

7. Chaz

Chaz

OK, one more theory by someone who knows nothing about the pellet world.

You say that when it happens, the pot has a lot of pellets in it.
    Could it be that the auger is putting in too many pellets, during ignition oxygen level to the 'burn' is low at first, combustible gasses build, then POP!!

Is it overloading with smaller than normal pellets?

If it's not the pellets, the only other culprit I could think of is the auger.

Guess that's kinda 2 theories intertwined.:eek:

8. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

Very well could be.

9. heat seeker

heat seeker

Is smoke building up in the burn chamber? If so it might ignite making the noise. Is your combustion blower operating properly?

10. Chaz

Chaz

I'm glad heat seeker showed up, someone who knows something about pellet stoves.

Hope this get's ya squared away. :yes:

11. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

Seems to be working ok. I need to put a new fan on tomorrow. The other one got separated a little so I wonder if that has something to do with it. Maybe threw it out of balance and isn’t working 100%

12. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

I mean it had enough pressure before to actually blow smoke out of the door gasket

13. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

What you are describing happened once with my P43 earlier this season. Only time it ever happened in fact. The stove took longer than normal to light and the burn pot was full of pellets (much more than usual). The glass was clean so with the sparks flying up from the igniter trying to light the pellets I could clearly see that the entire inside of the firebox was full of smoke. When it finally did light, there was a pop like you are describing. It was pretty freaky, but it wasn’t enough to force smoke out of the stove into the room like yours did. I don’t know what conditions made it happen that one time, just glad it’s the only time it ever happened.

DMac you have quite a history this season of your stove not wanting to light up properly and you replaced a lot of parts and made sure the board was configured correctly for startup sequence. I do hope you get this long running mystery solved in the end.

Curious, have you ever tried running it for a good extended period of time without the OAK attached?

14. Chaz

Chaz

Now, that could be something.
    If the fan is not running at peak, then the fuel/oxygen levels will be out of balance.
    That could cause some problems I believe.

15. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

I don’t have a oak

16. Chickenman

Chickenman

Sounds like the stove is not breathing properly. Make sure that the exhaust path is clear. If the stove is gummed up and the air is not flowing through properly the explosive ignition is not unusual.

gbreda, IHATEPROPANE, imacman and 3 others like this.
  17. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Maybe a leaf blower clean out is in order?

18. Chickenman

Chickenman

Nah I.m talking about a mechanical clean of the stove internals. THe easiest way to tell if you have a problem is to take the flue off the stove and start it to see how much air is coming out the exhaust. Should be heaps. If not pull out the exhaust fan and clean everything back to the firepot. Easy in our stoves, cant speak for the brand discussed here. Principal is the same,
    restricted air = poor performance.

19. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Good clarification. Thanks Chickyman:yes:

20. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

I did check the flow and cleaned the pipes maybe 2 months ago. I’m gonna put a new combustion blower fan on it tomorrow. I just turned it so it would light and lit fine now. Perfect in maybe 3 min from the start of the cycle.