In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Expected Snowfall just upgraded here in NE is your blower and generator ready?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by don2222, Mar 12, 2018.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    The last storm took a lot trees down and the snow was so heavy and wet that the blower was so stuck the belt popped off the tractor!!
    We lost power for 6 Hours last time!
    How about you? How long were you without power? Some people just got power back on Sunday!

Before Sunday they did not know if the storm would just go out to sea or intensify and make snowfall? Well now they know!
    Berlin NH is the Jackppt area of 18” Plus!!!
    It is colder now and we may get buried tomorrow!!
    1st pic - Out road partially blocked from last storm!
    2nd pic - This Tuesday’s expected snow estimate on Sunday
    3rd pic - This Tuesday’s expected snow estimate upgraded on Monday

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. PelletHound

PelletHound

Just saw this. Capture.JPG Me no like.:mad:Genny on stand bye mode. First storm we lost power for 2 days.Last storm no problems.I am prepared.:D

3. savemoney

savemoney

[​IMG]
    Be careful with this storm, you don't accidently want to become a snow angel.

4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Yikes! Stay warm and safe out that way y’all!!!:yes:

5. badbob

badbob

Average time without power is 5-6 hours.Has been more outages this winter than the last 5 winters.I have 2 small gens that will run pellet stove,but also have 2 pilot ignition propane direct vent heaters(always best to be prepared in the mountains),but,am thinking I want a standby gen set that will run my well.Gettin old sucks,lolDid not have to get the small gen out this winter,as,wen power went out,sun was hitting my house,and,if it stays above freezing,inside,no sense in getting excited,a little discomfort saves money.But,am still thinking about a big gen.!

CleanFire, imacman, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  6. BHags

BHags

Guys, guys...we're New Englanders!! I remember the Blizzard of '78, so a foot of snow, ( again ), is no big deal. I'll leave work early, with a 30 pack, and get up tomorrow morning, start my 20 year old snowblower, put my beer in the snow, and make a day of it!!

7. Warner

Warner

I agree,all the hype is B.S. if you live in New England and a foot of snow has any real impact on your life you are unprepared. Some of guys at work were already talking about how the snow may “effect” things yesterday morning.
    Four wheel drive, wood stove and generator with enough fuel are a must have for me. I don’t always need them but when I do they are worth their weight in gold.
    It’s just a bit of snow to me.

CleanFire, imacman, Eric VW and 5 others like this.
  8. bogieb

bogieb

So far no loss of electricity this season (KOW!). I remote in to work on days where the worst of the snow is supposed to be in the afternoon. Not that I can't drive in it but because it has gotten so that the majority of people can't and endanger those of us that can. They also cause my commute to be 2.5 hours one way and I got better things to do than sit there in traffic while some vehicle can't get up a small incline (so small that visually it doesn't look like an incline).

Being wedged between the Monadnock Regions and Lake Sunapee - I tend to have on the higher amounts forcast. Weird since I'm in the valley - but that is how my luck runs. It used to be, when I lived up the hill a couple of miles that this area was getting rain while my area had snow (you could literally see the line when coming down the hill). Since moving here, this area gets the same chit weather and the same amounts of snow :headbang:.

Ah well, I have gas for the snow blower and filled the car's tank yesterday in case I need more gas (which would be a catastrophic amount of snow) or a place to charge the phone and keep warm

CleanFire, Rich250, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  9. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

Generator is still in place from the last storm, we were on it about 24 hrs.
    Wife knows how to start it, and plug it in.
    I may not make it home tonight, but the family will be warm from the wood stove no matter what.
    I don't even try to blow the heavy wet stuff with the two stage, I bought a single stage cheapo that blows right through the slop without clogging. Two stage is for powder, single for slop.
    I remember the blizzard of '78 .
    Snow drifted up past the center of the windows on one side of the house, family car buried over the roof. I always am disappointed when I hear BLIZZARD, then get a little snow and wind...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    CleanFire, imacman, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  10. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Just found some Massachusetts totals so far!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    CleanFire, BHags, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  11. bogieb

bogieb

Funny, they say 23" for Manchester and coming to work this morning all I could think was their (Goffstown and Bedford) snow was definitely less than mine - and I know I didn't get anywhere near 20 (probably around 14"). Must have been one of those "localized bands of snow" :D

12. bogieb

bogieb

Guess I'm going to need to fill the gas cans this weekend since I'm nearly out.

3-20-18 snow from forecast 3-14-18.JPG

CleanFire and BHags like this.
  13. BHags

BHags

Looks about right for me. 19" plus. going out soon to move it!

CleanFire likes this.
  14. Warner

Warner

3078B2E4-1200-4AC9-9C4E-4A0362F997CC.jpeg Yes those are some “lofty” reports! I’m in Townsend the next town over from peperell there ain’t no way there is 19.5 inches here.

CleanFire and bogieb like this.
  15. BHags

BHags

IMG_1347.JPG IMG_1348.JPG 19" easy in Northbridge

16. savemoney

savemoney

yup, just look at that that pile of pallets on the right of the picture. Also keep in mind that the first part of this storm had a lot of wind. that makes it harder to measure snow depths.

CleanFire likes this.
  17. scajjr2

scajjr2

We ended up with 2 feet here. My 21 yr old MTD Yard Machines snow blower still chugs right along. Replaced the carb 5 yrs ago, an occasional auger belt and shear pin other than those, no issues at all. Can't find equipment made that well anymore.

Sam

CleanFire and BHags like this.
  18. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

Drove to Lewiston maine from Manchester, NH for work yesterday.
    Couldn't get a AWD rental , so I took my FWD ford focus, and I never got around to putting the snow tires on the front this year.
    I don't think maine got as much as central NH.
    Coming back in the afternoon, ME was plowed just fine, NH looked like they hadn't touched 95 all day.
    After I got on 101 the snow went from slushy to powdery, and got deeper fast once I got past great bay.
    By the time I got to Manchester, I was plowing with the front bumper on the side streets .
    Back home in Haverhill , I think I got more snow than up north.
    Worst part was when the big two stage snowblower broke again while I was clearing the driveway. Had to finish with the little single stage.

CleanFire, bogieb and don2222 like this.
  19. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Just heard Methuen Mass is the official jackpot area according to WCVB -TV channel 5 with 28.3 inches of snow from storm Skylar !!!

CleanFire, Rowerwet and bogieb like this.
  20. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

24.5 for Haverhill