In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Europe pellet shortage

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Iron Stove, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Cash Larue likes this.
  2. Ohio

Ohio

Those pellets are made at the same factory as the ones that are for heating. The pellets are the exact same. The only difference is the bag and the price.

Cash Larue and Orson_Yancey like this.
  3. figor

figor

England lifted regulations put in place to make sure the pellets they imported from USA met their standards. I wonder how long it will be before they allow residential coal burning. They used to get 60% of their gas from Russia. I’m not sure if they’re getting any now. All this exporting is really raising heating fuel prices. Coal is at $575 a ton here now. Pellets went up $1.50 a bag since last month. I need to find a wood source soon.

I remember one cold spring all the box stores were out of pellets. I had to buy horse pine bedding pellets. They were $8 a bag. Then the very last week I used my stove I burned about 80 lbs of dry dog food. I got it free from a neighbor.

4. bogieb

bogieb

Several years ago I remember people were buying horse bedding pellets - but they were only $5/bag (IIRC)

Cash Larue and theburtman like this.
  5. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

I've read articles in Eastern Europe( Poland) of long lines from citizens with pickups at coal mines waiting to get filled up. Talk of buning trash and animal dung. Germany is in a situation where a energy company is DISMANTLING wind farm to get to coal underneath. Supporting articles atached.

Stop dismantling German windfarm to expand coalmine, say authorities
    Europeans are hoarding wood, cleaning chimneys, and mulling horse dung as winter looms in an energy crisis

6. corncob

corncob

Keep in mind that Europe is burning biomass in power plants by the ship load. I believe most of it is coming from Canada but I could be wrong.

bogieb likes this.
  7. corncob

corncob

They have a choice. Stay industrialized and mine the coal or become a non industrialized (and poor country). The wind farm goes. How it plays. I have my own opinion about renewable energy that I won't get into here.

Orson_Yancey and theburtman like this.
  8. figor

figor

Just look at Peabody Energy stock. Two years ago it was $1.29. It’s over $26 now. I suspect that’s mostly due to coal exports.

Cash Larue and JD Guy like this.
  9. bogieb

bogieb

So, you need to read more than the headline or the first paragraph. They aren't taking the windmills down because they don't produce energy, but because that was the original plan from over 20 years ago:

"Rebuilding the turbines to make way for the expanding mine was part of the original agreement that allowed the windfarm to be constructed in 2001, he added, and not a result of a recent change of German energy policy."

It is only 8 windmills anyway - not a huge windfarm. I've got more windmills than that within 10-15 miles of me (as the crow flies - Antrim has 5 and not sure about the amount for Lempster). Although I'm not sure why they would place them where they knew they'd be tearing them down later (maybe a matter of land ownership - IDK, didn't want to invest more time/energy into the subject). Heck, for all I know 20 years is the useful lifespan and they would need an extensive refurb.

I have mixed feelings about wind farms just because I hate seeing the windmills from the "view" coming down the mountain behind my house. I think they are just one piece of the energy puzzle along with solar, nuclear (or maybe even fusion in the future) and gas/oil.

Earl764, Cash Larue, jtakeman and 3 others like this.
  10. figor

figor

My neighbor has one on their land. He told me they won’t rebuild them. He said once it’s useful life is up they will come out, dig a huge hole and knock it over into it then cover it up. He said it’s written that way in his contract. I’m sure other companies do things differently. He didn’t say what the lifespan was though. He’s old so I doubt he cares. He’s getting $30,000 a year off it and that’s all that concerns him.

Cash Larue, jtakeman and bogieb like this.
  11. corncob

corncob

When the wind don't blow and the sun don't shine, no juice is produced. All I have to say on that.

12. bogieb

bogieb

That is true, but when the trucks don't deliver propane/oil to the depots, there ain't no juice either (yes, that's an issue up here).

343amc, Earl764, Cash Larue and 4 others like this.
  13. corncob

corncob

Not here. In reality, propane has been stagnant in cost all winter. I'm sure it will increase in cost like everything else today as we live in inflationary times. Of course we do have 3 refineries close by, Sarnia, Ontario, Toledo, Ohio and downriver, Detroit.

Pretty confident that pellets will increase in cost exponentially.

bogieb and theburtman like this.
  14. iowahiker

iowahiker

BP's large oil refinery in Whiting IN would also be near. Iowa propane prices were steady around $2/gallon +/- thanks to pipelines and refineries in Minneapolis, St Louis, and also Whiting, IN.

New England is short of oil products pipelines despite an increasing population. The original oil products supply to New England was by sea but the number of ships has declined and refineries shutdown in NJ and PA.

Propane is not a favored chemical plant feed and so the big refineries in the Gulf have exported entire ships of propane to other countries but those ships had foreign crews. Ships between domestic ports must be domestic crews. Some home heating oil ships went from the Middle East to New England and then to Texas to refill and then on to Europe to avoid the domestic crews rule. New England pays for all that travel.

Cash Larue, PelletHound and bogieb like this.
  15. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

The Jones Act. It can be temporarily suspended by the president.

And on pipelines, New York has blocked the building of any additional Natural gas lines into new england for decades. And with them setting up to ban fossil fuel heating appliances, we're trapped.

New York Gov. Hochul announces plans to ban gas heating in new homes, buildings constructed in next few years

16. corncob

corncob

Hochul is noting more than a Cumo wannabe.