In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Esse Cookstove

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by charlie, Oct 6, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie

Damp fall day in the NE, Esse is going , house is toasty and veggies are going in .. Nice roasted veggies will be coming out in an hour!
    Roasted veggies -Esse 003.JPG

2. BrianK

BrianK

Nice. We had dinner at a friend's home Friday night. They have an Esse in the kitchen so I finally got a chance to get a good look at one. He also has a Fireview in the sitting room and huge traditional fireplaces everywhere else. Its a big old stone house. He's a attorney but wood heat helps him keep the heating bills down. I guess even the legal profession is struggling in this economy.

Scotty Overkill likes this.
  3. defiant

defiant

Nice unit!!!

Scotty Overkill and charlie like this.
  4. charlie

charlie

Ahhh! So he had two good stoves! :D The Esse I will say is a no thrills seriously heavy built stove.... I really like that you can adjust the door tension on the gaskets and also tilt the hinges up and down if need be... We're on our 3rd year.. Added 4 more feet of class A for a total of about 17 feet including my one foot left over section at the top... burns great! I will say there is nothing better then warming your food on the same thing that's warming your soul! That whole thing is just such good karma with all that is going on in the world today.. Self sufficiency comes to mind..

Scotty Overkill and BrianK like this.
  5. BrianK

BrianK

You've got two units you can cook on now. And one to bake in. That's awesome peace of mind right there in these trying times.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to bake on top of the new Union/Steal Hybrid. I've got the folding Coleman camp oven but that's not a long term solution. I might break down and buy a Perfection oven at Lehman's hardware or try to find an old stove top oven on EBay.

6. charlie

charlie

Believe it or not, I emailed Jamie and said since they have a nice water jet machine, they should consider building a two piece baking oven that could be placed on top of their stoves... Maybe include some internal mounts to hold some thinner soapstone.. Two sections I figure would allow easy assembly of the oven on your stove top.. You know they could build something nice, louvered vents to adjust the heat or a really cool chimney with a covered top that slides open... I think there would certainly be a market for everyone to be able to have an oven for their top of their stove.. especially these days! I agree it's nice to be self sufficient.. We have our water supplied to our farm house from a spring fed pond, gravity fed.. No power needed, we can always wash, flush our toilets and have water to drink without power, we filter our drinking water through a Berkey water filter system on a stand. works out great.. So all winter,, if something happened where the grid went down, we 'd have heat, be able to cook and have water without doing a thing as far as a generator.. We are very fortunate that all things things are in place.. When we bought the farm we never even thought about the water needing no power... Plenty of pressure too.. When we looked at the farmhouse we went up to the top floor bathroom, turned on the shower the sink and flushed the toilet,, everything kept up with a gravity fed water supply...
    Can't wait for you to get your new stove Brian... Wow I think it's going to be better then what you could ever imagine.. Woodstock some how has people with just awesome minds! Must be the NH air :).

Scotty Overkill and BrianK like this.
  7. charlie

charlie

First of four pans of veggies just cam out... A little pesto and I could live on these! Garlic we grew, onion, olive oil, yum!
    Esse veggies cooked in an hour 001.JPG

8. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

That looks like a hell of a stove. I haven't decided yet if we will be going the Cook stove route the next time we upgrade of not. How big of a firebox do these things get?

9. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

How does that cookstove compare to a woodstove in heat output? Is it about like a 2 cubic foot stove?

10. charlie

charlie

Puts out a lot of heat through the glass door on the firebox and also from the cooking hob on top.. suppose to be able to heat 1200 sq ft... How drafty a house is all comes into play too..

11. charlie

charlie

Here's a load of wood it will take.. you could even get another piece in if you cut one in half..
    000_0311.JPG 000_0316.JPG

Scotty Overkill likes this.
  12. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Man I love that friggin stove!! And those vegetables look fantastic!!

charlie likes this.
  13. charlie

charlie

14. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I fell in love with the LaNordica Suprema Grande...but they aren't Warnock Hersey certified yet.......

Maybe someday, Woody will get them in!!

broseley_suprema_grande_cooker.jpg

charlie and BrianK like this.
  15. charlie

charlie

That's a sweet looking stove Scotty! Looks like a big oven and firebox.