In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Enviro Omega- a case of total neglect! :-(

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by jtakeman, Apr 6, 2014.

1. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Let me start out by saying I had no intention of even trying to break Pete's 59 bag record.

I last cleaned my beast the first weekend of February and finally felt well enough to attack it today. Between getting a cold, Then the flu which turned into bronchitis. I wasn't able to do my 2 to 3 week normal deal. Pretty sure I had 12 bags of PTL's and had just added the 55 bags of AWF to the stash plus 12 bags of shoulders left over from the fall. I only have 10 bags of the AWF and the 11 of the 12 shoulders left. So I burned 12 bags of PTL's-45 bags of AWF and 1 bag(MWP) of the shoulder stash since my last clean. It still was burning just fine, Started normal and I could still see fire, But the ash pan was darn near to the top(highest I have seen it since the install) this morning! I just didn't want to push it anymore. My count is 58 on the dot! So its now not a matter of" I think I can", its more a "I know I can"! ;)

If I had counted them before the clean I might have just held out for just one or 2 more! To late NOW! :headbang:

Pic's of the dirty girl! :cool:

1.JPG 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

gbreda, smoke show, 343amc and 3 others like this.
  2. will711

will711

So is that dirty girl a clean girl now ?? even though you couldn't drink Beer:(

3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

She's clean enough for now, Still need to pull the room blower and brush the vent...... I ran out of gas..........:confused:

Shh, Don't tell the boss. But I had to sneak a brew downstairs. Just didn't feel right if ya know what I mean! ;)

will711, eatonpcat, imacman and 4 others like this.
  4. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

I just came back from a bachelor party weekend. I seen dirtier girls than that........

gbreda, will711, eatonpcat and 3 others like this.
  5. Stinny

Stinny

Quite a party if'n the girls were dirtier than that pellet stove… :whistle::drunk:

slvrblkk and jtakeman like this.
  6. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

:whistle:

imacman, eatonpcat and Stinny like this.
  7. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Nice Jay. Great thread... Goes to show that not all stoves are created equal. :) some are far superior.

Last I cleaned mine was at Christmas (tried to do a one ton burn then) I have yet to count the bags. But i was close before and my ash is almost to the pot level (15" deep?). I am off tomorrow and plan to clean it well, I took pics of the last time (dirty exchanger) and I am almost 100% positive it's gonna be twice as bad.

It's much deeper than this now..

image.jpg

gbreda, jtakeman and Stinny like this.
  8. subsailor

subsailor

Jay and Dexter

Just curious if you see any decrease in the heat output when your stoves are that dirty? I know when heat demand is high and I'm burning 1.5 to 2 bags a day that I notice a decrease in the heat output after about a week because of ash buildup on my heat exchanger. This is the first year I've noticed it, though. I don't know if I've become more observant or what, but it's noticeable.

9. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Hey sub, As long as I keep the heat exchanger tubes clean with the scraper rods. I don't see but a few degree's of temp drop. If I don't keep the heat exchanger clean I do see more drop. Ash acts like an insulator when it builds up on them.

gbreda likes this.
  10. subsailor

subsailor

So you can clean your heat exchanger without shutting the stove down and cleaning it? If I could do that, I wouldn't have an issue either.

11. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Well, technically if you go by the manual your supposed to shutdown. I haven't had an issue while the stove is on low fire maintenance burn/fan on lowest speed. I have not tried it while the stove is burning in the higher heat settings. That might be a problem!

The rods are in the convection path and if any ash/dust/particles build up on the rods. They may get dislodged and the convection blower will blow them all over. If I couldn't do it under low fire, I was going to install a switch to turn the fan off briefly while I worked the rods. I was just worried I would forget to turn the switch back on.

subsailor likes this.
  12. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

My Quad had a cleaning rod, and my Fahrenheit does as well. But my new Enerzone, does not have a cleaning rod and I have just let the ash build up.

It's a little lower temp, but not much. The heat exchange "squares" (mine are not Tubes) are some of the longest I have seen. Jay's are pretty long to. These tall Euro styling stoves are built with a a tall firebox and the tubes/exchanger goes all the all the way across the top, and then down the back.

Here is a pic of today . The ash pans are also very deep on our style of stove. :) Pix of ash pan door to show depth of ash

20140408_110454.jpg 20140408_110525.jpg

jtakeman, gbreda and subsailor like this.
  13. subsailor

subsailor

That would depend on how many beers you had!:whistle:

Now that I've had a chance to digest what you said, I'm wondering how it could be in the convection path? The ash builds up on the out side of the tubes and the convection path would be on the inside of the tubes, right? Otherwise your stove would be blowing fly ash all over the place all the time.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  14. nate

nate Banned

How the heck are you able to keep a white carpet... white?!

15. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Most stoves come with a cleaning rod that can be pulled. It's something that gets pulled around the outside of the tube to clean them. Most stoves tell you to pull the cleaning rod once a day.

A Harman does not have the option, as does my Eurostar. These are some of the few stoves that have a great heat exchange system, but no way to clean it while it's running.

(There are lots of stoves out there without a cleaning system, but they don't have a standard heat exchange system).

16. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Because it's a pellet stove.. Not a wood stove. I don't open the door everyday. I'm lucky to open the door every week.

17. gbreda

gbreda

I agree as the cleaning tool that Harman provides really doesnt clean the exchanger. Sometimes I manage to let the burn get very low, almost out and quickly brush the heat exchanger with a paint brush, but usually let it go out and do a 5 minute upper firebox sweep.

For the upper box only cleaning with a short shutdown, if you leave the stove in test mode while your door is open, the comb fan stays on and you dont need a vac for the airborne ash from brushing, therefore not worrying about hot embers. Just scrape the remaining, hot ash/embers from the burn pot to the ash pan, scrape the pot of carbon, brush the box- done.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  18. gbreda

gbreda

Jay, hope you and the stove are both feeling better !

jtakeman likes this.
  19. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

More beer = better! No? :D

In the first pic I posted you can see the scraper rod in the fire box. I'll repost with it circled. The rod gets ash build up just like the rest of the fire box/heat exchangers. When you pull the rod up, The dirty part is in front of the convection tube outlets. The air blowing from them will send the junk flying.

I'll have to post a pic of the area where the convection tubes end. Tough to explain without a visual.

1.jpg

20. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I'm getting there. The warmer it gets is the better I have been feeling.

Once I can chug a lug a few brewski's, I'll feel just fine! ;)