In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Entry level saw recommendations

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by mrfancyplants, Mar 1, 2021.

1. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

My brother in law is in the market after borrowing my free ryobi 3716, which retail for about $140. He is a weekend warrior type just trying to get on the three year plan, and the ry3716 is the standard we are going on, which has served me pretty well since I ran some sort of carb cleaner through it. It’ll bog down a bit on start-up until it warms up a bit, but so far so good. Also can be rough starts when warm, but might be some old gas 2:1 mix causing issues.

Any recommendations along those lines or saws to stay away from? I feel like there are to many complaints with the 027 on here to recommend. He likely won’t be doing any/much felling, just hacking up logs around the neighborhood and from landscapers.

2. Chud

Chud

Hacking up logs should have a reasonable wow factor and always be fun. My vote is for Stihl ms261c, but echos are more affordable and equally dependable.
    I don’t have any experience with homeowner models or brands other than Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo and Shindaiwa.

3. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Echo has some good saws that should fit your need. Husqvarna 455 rancher would work or the Stihl MS290 farm boss. There are better saws but not what I would consider entry level.

I would stay away from the cheap Chinese stuff like earthquake or from any of the small cheap Poulans. They are not what they used to be.

The old Poulans were good saws but not anymore. Same with the small CC size Husqvarna saws. They are very similar to the cheap Poulans.

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I just recently sold one that would have been a great candidate. A Husky 55 rancher. No longer available new but they were a very reliable full magnesium case saw. Is used an option or does it have to be new?

5. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I think used is an option for him as well. If a good deal came up on here I might have to give him mine and take an upgrade myself.

6. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

huskihl has a really nice 60cc class saw for sale. Not sure how many cc you’d consider too much but it would be night and day compared to that Ryobi.

7. JCMC

JCMC

Chainsaws like most other things are a personal preference I prefer Husqvarna's. I also prefer pro saws as opposed to homeowner saws.
    I would probably go with the 562XP but also would consider the Dolmar/Makita 6100.
    Best advice is to go check them out ask to run one and choose the one that fits you the best. :saw:

8. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

He is eyeing a Husky 44 from 1986 on Craigslist. Thinking maybe he could talk them down closer to $100 from the $180 ask.

I get not wanting a homeowner saw, but it is rare I get to do much cutting the to justify the higher prices of a pro saw. This free ryobi had been doing the trick for me, though I could have scored a bit more locust if I had a longer bar, but not sure if 20” would have gotten me many more rounds. That thing was pretty beefy near the base of the trunk.

94932712-0679-4481-B81A-C897F6DCF2EE.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  9. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Backwoods Savage would remind you that saw works from both sides of the tree... :yes:
    :D

10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Actually I rarely cut from both sides but I do reach over the top to cut that far side. That would not work on some really big trees but I don't cut those any more.

11. JCMC

JCMC

I just noticed that I posted this here and not in the
    If you where to buy a new 59 cc chainsaw what would it be.
    Sorry :confused:

12. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I was referring to the many times you’ve described cutting/felling large trees with a 16” bar... some time ago.

13. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I had to go at it from both sides just to get the rounds that I did w my 16” ryobi, after where the trunk split into two. Between that and the branches I walked away with about 1.5 cord of locust.. well drove away multiple times with the trunk of my Toyota full of it.

14. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

:salute:
    :thumbs:

15. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

My first saw that I bought in 2011 is still serving me well today (Echo CS-370) It's always started when I needed it, even after sitting for months on end. Basically all I've ever done to it is swapped/sharpened the chain and put oil and fuel in it. The pull cord did let go on me a couple years ago but that was an easy fix. It's still running the original spark plug, even the original bar although that's getting pretty clapped out and will be replaced shortly. Last year I decided to get the CS-400 with an 18" bar which has also been good. Of course now having bought a couple Stihls, the Echo saws feel more like tinker toys to me, but for using them casually as more or less a homeowner's saw I think you get a lot of bang for your buck.

16. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Not familiar with the echoes, but I hear lots of good comments about them here. Otherwise I’d say 455 Husqvarna if looking at new. My first saw was a 345 Husqvarna and was perfect for a beginner, If’n you could come across one of those used, that would be a good fit.

17. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I have to get on the Echo train for the purposes you describe. Great saws for the price.

18. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I can see you or him with a Stihl MS251. The highest CC (46) saw in the homeowner class. $350 range new but a reliable saw for what your needs are and will hold its value. I know a firewood seller who's primary cutting saw is this model and he cuts a lot of wood. Check out Craigs List or Facebook Marketplace for used models (the MS250 as well).

Ive heard a lot of good things about the Echo saws. Dont know how good their homeowner saws are. I have an Echo leaf blower (big box store special) thats very reliable.

19. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Oops, I may have bid on a couple echo cs590’s on eBay.

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

You can cancel your bid. Ive bid by accident and needed to do this.