In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Entry-level air compressor?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by MikeInMa, Oct 16, 2020.

1. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I'd like to get an air compressor, to clean/blow debris off my saws. I know very little about them. I'd have no other use for it.

Is something like this going to work for me?
    61615_W3.jpg
    It's $40.

Looks like maybe a hose and air-gun is also needed.

I don't have a true workshop. So small and portable.

What to avoid also has value.

Thanks.

2. M2theB

M2theB

good idea to have one.
    I have something similar with the Porter Cable Brand on it. Lasted about 7 years, maybe longer, until it wouldn’t charge anymore. And I think that’s an easy fix that I haven’t gotten to yet.
    I did buy a replacement Compressor that is larger from HF and I am disappointed.
    I have a couple air guns from HF and they’ve been fine, especially for the $4/each they cost.
    And at least get a schreider valve attachment so you can blow up tires.
    Hose, yes

3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Thanks!

I already have 2 12v tire inflators, that stay in each vehicle. Husky brand of course. But no orange.

I have a gift card from TSC. Sounds like HF would be a roll of the dice.

4. Fifelaker

Fifelaker

I have a 6 gallon pancake, it works, but you have to wait for it to cycle on saws. Look @ cfm on the pump bigger is better. Those oil less compressors are LOUD too. A few years ago I got a great deal on a 80 gallon shop compressor, so I don't use that little one much.

5. SAWMIKAZE

SAWMIKAZE

I have a bunch of compressors I use for different things, my saw bench compressor is a 25 gallon husky. You can't beat it for keeping saws clean, I think I paid 225-250 for it I can't remember...but it was money well spent.

yooperdave, Slocum, mat60 and 4 others like this.
  6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

For just blowing off your saws, that unit should work fine...might check the cost of the extended warranty?

yooperdave, Slocum, mat60 and 2 others like this.
  7. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Exactly. I like the extended warranty, in this case. Thanks!

I don't want to go the route of a case of compressed air cans.

yooperdave, mat60 and Maina like this.
  8. MAF143

MAF143

I like blowing off the saws to keep them from getting nasty. I usually don't take gas mix and bar oil with me out into the woods. Instead I take 2 or 3 saws depending on what I'm doing. I'm not a clean freak by any means and my saws do NOT look like new, they get used hard but are well taken care of. I like blowing them off for every gas / oil fill up to keep the crud out of the tanks. I blow out the air filter, check chain tension, and touch up the chain if it is at all loose almost every tank too. I flip, clean, check the oiling hole / groove, and check the bar for burrs every 3 or 4 sharpenings as well. I like doing all this back up at the shop with the air compressor. If it doesn't blow off with the air, I'm not too worried about it. I've only ever used a rag and Mean Green when I was putting a for sale sign on it.

An air compressor is a great tool in any shop and if you're just using it for your personal saw or even a brad nailer / stapler a small one should be just fine. If you were cleaning saws all day or blowing out larger equipment a higher volume (and quieter) one would be much nicer. Inexpensive units have their place and you can always upgrade later if needed. CAD could be for compressors too...

9. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I'm a little late, but as has been said, those oil less compressors are crazy loud, much louder than the 12V I keep in the car. Like, I wear ear plugs when I would use the one I have loud. They are useless for filling car tires I found.

I'd wait for black friday, and see what kind of deals they have on something in the portable 20 gallon range if you have the room.

yooperdave, mat60, M2theB and 2 others like this.
  10. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I have one of these I use in my basement. It is very quiet and I think would suit you need. Harbor Freight

IMG_1436.JPG

11. Will C

Will C

I have a DeWalt compressor that is the type used for carpenter's air tools-similar to the one Mag Craft shows above. It work just fine for my use-inflating tires, cleaning saws and air filters, and using an impact wrench for rotating tires and changing mower blades. It cycles often, but I probably don't use an hour a year total. If I were a hobby mechanic I'd have something different, but this has worked fine for last 8 years, cost me around $200, is quiet and doesn't take up much space.

12. mat60

mat60

I have a sears pancake that I bought on sale around 7 years ago. It is not a oil free model and I have used the heck out of it blowing dust off furniture before I spray finish. I believe oil free are much louder and dont last as long.

13. yooperdave

yooperdave

I was in the same boat a few years back. I ended up buying a little bit larger compressor than what I had intended it's use for and am glad that I did. I'm pretty sure it is a campbell hausfield 8 gal tank on wheels with a pull handle. Wanted it for airing up tires and blowing off work bench.

It won't be long and you'll be getting a brad gun, trim nail gun and framing nail gun....(ask me how I know!) The little bit larger tank will be better to run those tools for you.

I think I bought it in the mid to late 2000's and it is still running and operating fine. Paid somewhere around 100 for it back then.

Maina, eatonpcat, M2theB and 2 others like this.
  14. Erik B

Erik B

A number of years ago I bought a Porter Cable pancake compressor. It came with a trim nail gun, I think, and I gave it away to a builder who would use it. I had it sitting on a shelf collecting dust for a number of years before I gave it away. I use the compressor to air up tires and clean my saws.

Maina, M2theB, MikeInMa and 3 others like this.
  15. OldJack

OldJack

Seems that oilless compressors are at both ends of the price range with little in the middle. The handy cheap ones and the very expensive ones for critical use like oilfree hospital air. An old 100 lb. propane tank makes a good auxilary air tank if you need a big blast or air beyond the power cord. I'll try to get some picts tomorrow.

Maina, mat60, yooperdave and 3 others like this.
  16. OldJack

OldJack

The weather was pretty cranky for the last few days with well below normal temps and well above normal winds so I didn't get pics until yesterday.

I'm using an old 100 pound propane tank for an extra reservoir for my 1 horsepower compressor. The compressor's tank is about 10 gallons or 1.33 cubic feet and the 100 lb. tank is about 24 US gallons or 3.2 cubic feet. When you get your tank home remove the propane valve and turn the tank upside down. There might be some liquid condensate left (gasolene for all practical purposes).

What I've got here is a 1/2" to 3/8" pipe thread reducing bushing, a 3/8" close pipe reducing nipple and a 3/8" Tru-Flate type P female coupler. This connects to a 3/8" Tru-Flate male coupler and a 3/8" pipe tee with pressure gauge. The left inlet side of the tee connects to a 1/4" pipe thread Milton Type M male coupling though a 3/8" to 1/4" bushing. The brass petcock isn't absolutely necessary but it saves air when you disconnect. The tank is filled from the compressor by a 1/4" Milton type M male coupler and a 1/4" air line.

The outlet side has a 3/8" close pipe nipple to another 3/8" Tru-Flate type P female coupler. Next there's a Tru-Flate 3/8" male to 1/4" male pipe to a Milton type M 1/4" female coupler which connects to a 1/4" hose by a Milton type M male. This 1/4" to 1/4" setup is best for reach rather than volume.

Next is the 3/8" hose coupled up with the 3/8" male type P coupler with the 3/8" - 1/4" adapter sitting on the tank. Last is my home-made 1/4 blow gun. It moves a lot more air than those store-bought wands, which weren't available 40 years ago anyway. You can bend the copper tubing and get into tight places like between a radiator and fan.

I drilled and tapped the pipe tee for the pressure gauge myself. Handy but not absolutely necesary. A 1/8" thread hole is easier to tap on a curved surface than a larger hole.

There's a number of different coupler types. I used what is locally available. You should be able to find 1/4" couplers in most hardware stores. 3/8" are harder to find, but your local tire shop probably can help you. Why is a Tru-Flate a type "P"? It's a Parker design.

Always cap the tank if you're moving it. Knocking the valve off a 100 psi tank is dammed inconvienient, but every welding class should have the story about knocking the valve off a 3000 psi oxygen tank.

Once somebody parked a 35' combine header where he shouldn't have, then parked some more iron in front of it. OK, rain's coming, it's not blown off. Haul the air tank down to the header, run 200 feet of 1/4" air hose to the tank and blast it off with the 3/8" hose. Could have used a bigger thermos waiting for the tank to charge up between blasts, but we got her done.

1st pic - 1/4" line in and out.
    2nd pic - 3/8" line out.
    3rd pic - 3/8" homemade wand.

upload_2020-11-2_6-55-14.png

upload_2020-11-2_6-56-0.png

upload_2020-11-2_6-56-34.png

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    MikeInMa and Maina like this.