In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Englander Pellet Furnace on CL Question

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Certified106, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Certified106

Certified106

Saw this on CL but I couldnt' find any info on Englander's website about it. Is it discontinued? Is it a decent furnace?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/for/4310814523.html

Pellet Burner - $1000 (Reynoldsburg)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Pellet burner add on furnace, good condition works great used to heat our 2250 sq. ft. plus basement house with it. It is 8 to 56,000 BTU's per hour. This is an ad on furnace made to be connected to your duct work, but doesn't have to be, the heat could be directed out with 8 inch pipe and elbow some piping included. Great for home, shop, garage wherever. Manufactured by England Stove Works Inc. Warnock Hersey seriel # 000285 model # 25 paf. Don't pay new price only asking a $1000 or best offer, call Kevin.

2. imacman

imacman

Wow...an oldie. Doesn't even have the digital control board. I'm sure Mike H. would like to see this, plus could give more info on when it was made, etc. Send him a message....his forum name is simply "Mike Holton".

He is the Senior Tech at Englander.

3. Certified106

Certified106

I was kind if worried that it was pretty old so I think I will pass on it. I couldn't even find it on their website so it must be really old lol

4. imacman

imacman

The owners manual for it IS on their site, but even that shows a digital control board, not the analog one I saw in the pics.

5. Certified106

Certified106

I must have missed it...... So do they still sell it a pellet furnace?

6. imacman

imacman

Certified106 likes this.
  7. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

What's the auger look like??

8. mike holton

mike holton

oh my gawd! when you build them heavy they stick around. I probably helped build that beast, would have been made in 93-94 I wouldn't go a grand for it , would have sold new at about 1700 or so 20 years ago.

all in all though a decent unit, could feed from 1.5 to about 6 lbs/hr, hooks to ductwork , has a 850CFM blower. wasn't a "bad stove' just sucked to build as it had so many little things you had to do in the right order to produce it. one of the guys in my shipping department (Dwayne) has one he put in back in 94 has used it in conjunction with his furnace since then had to replace an auger motor or two and a couple exhaust blowers but he heats his house (old farm house about 2000 sq ft) with it almost exclusively says he burns oil when it gets below freezing but he does burn about 4 ton a year, his house aint exactly "modern"

my boss (our CEO) has 2 of them in a 4500 sq ft house (and a beaut) heats exclusively with them only runs one of them most of the time both when its really cold out.

its old tech, not super efficient, an exempt model. but it isn't exactly junk.

still I wouldn't drop a grand on it being that old

thanks for sharing , brings back some memories

9. mike holton

mike holton

orders for the furnace dropped off back n the late 90's and wth so little "floor space" in the 'seasonal department" it didn't get the orders needed to support such an involved build. we did well to build 30 of them in an 8 hour day on the finish line. so labor wise was an expensive stove to build so the ROI was pretty low. just died of retailer non interest.

still a neat design. by the way the second version of the stove which was modeled after the PDVC is the one shown in the manual. it kinda died of the same disease, lack of retailer support. t was a pretty good model, but the old version with the dial control system was a beast (mostly because it could feed so much more fuel at a time and burn it up)

if the guy would come down to about 750 (functional, could see it run) i'd think about it if I had a basement and a furnace to tie into. more than that i'd pass as its gotta have some major mileage on it and the motors if original are kinda "long in the tooth" could have some motor issues if this is the case, heck they are old enough to vote if original)

10. mike holton

mike holton

I can tell you anything you want to know about that old girl. might be the only guy you will ever hear from who could do that

BrianK and 343amc like this.
  11. imacman

imacman

Too cool Mike! Great hearing about these old stoves. :popcorn:

12. Certified106

Certified106

Wow, thanks so much for all the info it sure was appreciated. Sounds like these stoves do last quite awhile longer than I realized. Is it still possible to get the parts such as motors and augers if they need to be replaced?

13. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Wow... That's an oldie!! But a goodie!

There is an Englander 10-CDV for $280 by me. I'm half tempted to buy it just because. :)

There is a St. Croix SCF-050 Pellet furnace near Bucyrus Ohio for $1,300?!

I know its a drive? But that's a pretty good deal.

14. Certified106

Certified106

Dex how far do you live from Athens, ohio? Is that st croix a 50,000 btu furnace and do you have a link to it?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  15. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Yeah, the St. Croix is the SCF-050. I think it's in Mansfield CL. I will look in a minute and give you a link. I am just North of Ashland Ohio or about 1.25 hrs from Columbus.

Edit: here is the link. It's in Mansfield CL and comes with some extra stuff.

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/grd/4292663123.html

16. smoke show

smoke show

Looks like there is a vacuum transfer system on top of that bin also.

17. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

Any chance of you guys getting into the pellet furnace game again :drool:

jtakeman likes this.
  18. Certified106

Certified106

I just realized I have probably driven right near you a half dozen times on my way up to lake Erie last year
    Thanks for the link I sent the guy an email with a few questions. I wonder how it would do on a 2400 sq ft house with it only being 50,000 btu? It looks like the revolution is rated for more sq ft and is self cleaning.

19. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I asked him a couple seasons ago, But he didn't seem to interested. Not a large selling item IIRC.

20. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

Perhaps it was too early in the pellet heating sector. I think now would be a good time to make another run at it if there ever was.
    Although a big hurdle is there DIY method they have adopted. Works great for pellet stoves because they are easy. They would probably need a network of installers and some way to advertise this relationship.