In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Englander 12

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Mtn.Sparrow, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Mtn.Sparrow

Mtn.Sparrow

Greetings!
    I've just installed an Englander 12 stove (heats 1000sq') that burns 35:1. The pipe is through the wall, double pipe and is 16' overall with a fully enclosed uninsulated chase. I've read where the fire is supposed to burn "brightly" but sometimes it seems to be too bright even when the damper on the stove is closed all the way (the only damper I currently have is the one on the stove). I have heard where some stoves aren't supposed to have or don't need pipe dampers. I just don't feel like I have enough control over the fire.
    I've had woodstoves in the past and haven't had any problems. Maybe it's because this one has a window and I can see it? I don't know.
    I plan to install a cylinder pipe stove on it when I can get my hands on one. I had one in the past (25yrs ago) and the only way I remember being able to control the temperature in it was with a damper above it.
    I yearn the benefit from your experiences. Thanks.

2. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Welcome to FHC Mtn.Sparrow !!! I agree with your assessment. I feel that I have much better control of my Buck with a pipe damper and have the added benefit of burning less wood... Got mine at a BBS and had it installed in 20mins... definitely worth the 20 bucks. When able post some pics of your setup and your hoard!!!

Mitch Newton and Mtn.Sparrow like this.
  3. Mtn.Sparrow

Mtn.Sparrow

While the pipe is, of course, permanent, the stove is temporarily on an open-bottom rolling stand on a stove mat and it still has its pedestal on--I'll be laying talavera tiles under it and putting on the legs next summer. I also bought 2 cords of (~2/3) seasoned oak and one of mixed wood. My phone is saying low memory, can't upload the file. Will post pictures later. Than you.
    Sparrow

4. Mtn.Sparrow

Mtn.Sparrow

1204171253.jpg
    Chase bottom.

milleo likes this.
  5. Mtn.Sparrow

Mtn.Sparrow

1214171058.jpg

That's reflectix on the walls and tinned steel panels behind the stove (leaned against the wall but always cold--I check it frequently) and set off w/1-1/4" porcelain fence insulators behind the pipe. Eventually it will all be set off with insulators.

Thor and milleo like this.
  6. Mtn.Sparrow

Mtn.Sparrow

1204171230.jpg
    Chase not quite finished here but you can see that it's tall enough.

Thor, OhioStihl and milleo like this.
  7. milleo

milleo

Welcome to the club! :handshake:

Mtn.Sparrow likes this.
  8. Mtn.Sparrow

Mtn.Sparrow

Thank you! It's so nice to be warm. :fire:

milleo likes this.
  9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Always.:thumbs::fire: