In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Energex 100 % Softwood Pellet

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Luneyburg, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

A month or two back there was a thread involving whether or not Energex actually produced a 100% softwood pellet and I responded and said a dealer in the vicinity was advertising they carried them and said I would grab a few bags to check them out. Well as I have been busy and only grabbed pellets from near by I did not follow through on my commitment UNTIL now as Lune always makes good on his commitments .

Local dealers are winding down along with the BBS around here and selling what they have in stock, so whats available nearby is basically MWP and NEWP. I grabbed some MWP to what I thought finish the season but still burning so I grabbed some NEWP's to 1. try them again after I heard thousands of tons are sold in NH and they are less than 4 minutes away. MWP satisfactory pellet and the NEWP yes I gave them another chance completely SUCK, fricking horrible in all aspects other than appearance. Looking at them I was syched as they look like a great pellet but no they suck, ash, ash , soot , junk and will never buy them again . Enough already Lune !

So today I took the day off to make good on my commitment (the only reason i took the day off Hellvard and my lame shoulder have nothing to do with it) and head on out to Barre Mass to grab some of these pellets.
    They listed them on their website so I expected them to be there but after talking to a Gentleman there he told me that they were gone except what they had for other customers for a later delivery . Sounds perfect give me a ton and order more, was a good sign I believe as someone likes them. So my point is that they were not available by the bags so even with my Lame Arse shoulder I grabbed a ton and headed back to Luneyburg .

Appearance: Darker than most softies, great sheen to them, average length was about 1/2" to 3/4' favoring the shorter of the two.

Smell: They smell identical to MWP blended and if they were longer I would be asking Mr. Linkletter if they were shipping MWP up North to be rebagged.

Fines: Almost None at all very clean and not dusty but not because they were high in moisture.

Ash: To be determined and wont know until Saturday when I clean the stoves.

Heat: Won't know until tonight when it dips into the 30's as it a splendid day Hallelujah ! and warm out.

Packaging: Superior , very well packaged product in both the bags and the hood that covers the ton of pellets.

On the packaging it claims a few things: thick tear resistant bag(confirmed) Auger friendly size (confirmed)
    Low Ash (to be confirmed) Higher BTU Value (to be confirmed)

Price: They were $259 a ton the same or less than what I will pay at the BBS around here.

Stay tuned will report how they perform.

Any testers within 3 hours I would gladly bring some bags to you although its so late in the season that you would not be able to test them unless of course you wanted to test in a Sauna atmosphere. Let me know as they can sit idle until they can be tested always looking for a reason to drive unless of course its the dreaded 52 miles each way I drive to Hellvard / Cambridge every day.

IMG_0317.JPG IMG_0320.JPG IMG_0319.JPG

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

i ran a few bags of the hard/soft blend last year....burned great.. dealer wouldnt get the 100% soft because of price

3. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Hmm, Interesting. I'm burning some of my last Maines also ( log cabin bag), and they are ashy.

I'm trying to find my best option to stock up on now, and it seems not much under the $250 price. Hammers seem best at $259 locally. Id try some of these ENERGEX softies if they are clean burning and available locally.

4. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Just got home from work as my shoulder robbed me from any sleep and it's screaming like a mofo. Got soaked walking to the parking garage and have a deep chill so when I entered the house and it was damp and cold I was surprised, so checking the stove and some how in my rush out the door I had turned the stove way down.

So right now I have fired it up and will be able to report on how much heat and to some degree how much ash. Will report back when i figure it out. Looking promising on the heat though as the stove is already up to 450* on the thermo on the side of the stove. If it hits 500 we know its a winner as only the very good softies hit 500*+(along with Northern Max) and beyond with this thermo and its location never moves. Gave the stove a good cleaning on Saturday so should be a pretty good indicator.

:Update Just hit 500 and change so it does not lack creating heat, may not know with the warm weather what the ash content will be like except in the short term.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  5. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Might be last chance to burn for a while. Might be 70-80 next week.

IHATEPROPANE, Rich250 and jtakeman like this.
  6. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

:banana: :dancer: :banana: :seasoned:

IHATEPROPANE, Pete Zahria and Rich250 like this.
  7. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

them poor loons eatin lost fishin lures

IHATEPROPANE, Rich250 and subsailor like this.
  8. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

He's already headed north to visit subie..........

IHATEPROPANE and Rich250 like this.
  9. subsailor

subsailor

He's here. I saw him yesterday and again today.

IHATEPROPANE and jtakeman like this.
  10. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

All in all an excellent pellet as the ash is more than acceptable as they are on par with LaCrete, less than North Country, and about the same as the Northerns I burned this year.
    Would grab as many as I can at $259 a ton and will see if they are going to be available if I order them now. Great pellet from Energex

11. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Went to Energex website and filled out some form and added I would like to see that they continue to manufacture them and send them to the US.

I got a response the same day and a call from the dealer who sold me the ton assuring me they would meet any order I would place, now how is that for service just need to get in the physical shape to have them delivered and re-stack them with my wrap method . Actually thinking of having them delivered right away and stack them once i get my shoulder healed.

Same price he quoted me $259 a ton which is only $20 less a ton then some others like LaCrete but the delivery would add much much more to the delta between them. This place is only 22 miles from the house and if I order 10 ton mayhap I can do even better on the delivery price.

Pretty confident on the ash output as well as I burned them constant in the cellar to see what the output was and it was set to burn slow and steady like the week before with MWP and NEWP ,
    had less than a third of what it did the week before burning the other blends.

Now if they are consistent I should be all set if not oh well sometimes you just have to roll the dice !

Last edited: May 1, 2018