In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

End of Season Clean out

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by RLUTTERB, Mar 21, 2022.

1. RLUTTERB

RLUTTERB

How do folks get the heat tubes cleaned out on Taylor water stoves. The creosote is to gummy to use any type of auger, and won't chip out like glass either. Three of my six tubes are probably 1/3 blocked.

2. yooperdave

yooperdave

Start burning dryer wood and good luck!

3. RLUTTERB

RLUTTERB

I burned very seasoned wood all winter, so that was not the issue (and no pine). Used the powder and even aluminum cans to try and minimize build up all winter. Those top two tubes (I have a 750 so I have six tubes) and the real problem. Perhaps in the summer the creosote will harden more???

4. yooperdave

yooperdave

Ahh......aluminum can trick! :D Seems to be working out well....:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

I had an OWB for a few decades; not a taylor and certainly not onw with tubes like a taylor....high maintenance, right there.

Never had the problem with creosote in my OWB as any that formed would flake off and burn up.

I don't know how frequent you clean the tubes (at least) but maybe you need to increase the frequency of the cleaning due to the "nature of the beast"?

I'm not sure but I think the creosote may harden over time. I would try cleaning as much as I could now and then again later on

5. RLUTTERB

RLUTTERB

Much like you experienced, the fire box creosote on mine is easily cleaned. Run up the temperature and it scrapes right off. Not so much for the tubes :)
    I cleaned the entire burner every Saturday and used the appropriate sized brush once a week on the tubes.
    Agree I'll just wait till mid summer and take another shot at them.