In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

End cuts and firewood bags

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Woodchucker, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Woodchucker

Woodchucker

I have three IBC totes full of end cuts and odd ball pieces. I usually sell them for $50 a tote full. Usually people looking for cheap wood buy it up pretty quick when I post it for sale.

Well I just bought 100 red mesh firewood bags off northern woodsman. I figured I could fill a 1 cubic foot bag and sell it for $5 retail or wholesale them to stores this summer. I've actually seen something similar at my local grocery store, where they'll have a 2 cubic foot, plastic bag with short chunks for sale. I think it was the Hot Sticks brand.

I figured since I can't stack them, and I can't bundle them, I could at least bag them and get more out of them.

Anyone mess with firewood bags or try selling off cuts?

2. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Last year we sold about 550 bags of campfire wood at $10.00 per. I'm near a lake/resort/camping/tourist area. Bit time consuming to make, but decent money.

3. Woodchucker

Woodchucker

End cuts or regular length? How many cubic feet are you doing?

4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

End cuts, but they are 14 to 16" off saw logs. 1.5 cu ft bags and it's nice dry stuff that burns well. My only competition is 1 cu ft. bundles of slab wood about 1" square at the local gas station. If last year was any indication we'll have to hustle to keep up this year.

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I accumulate lots of shorts and cut offs. Can be annoying part of making firewood at times. I had a couple customers for them, but they now want normal length splits. Started giving them to the landlord to burn.
    I listed a half cord on CL and it sold. Relisted another half and that sold. Second guy calls and asks if i have more. I happily delivered another one. Both will be repeats next Winter. I charged my normal half cord price too

For bundle wood i wrap my own. 16" splits made smaller than normal. Have a simple jig to wrap them
    8x8x16" with 6-9 splits per.

Ive thought of using the bags as it would GREATLY speed of the assembly process, but the bags arent cheap and i am.

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I can see bagging them and getting a decent price. No campgrounds near me and my bundles are all wholesale to local convenience stores/gas stations.

Sold around 800 since Thanksgiving between five customers. I dont retail them.

7. Haftacut

Haftacut

That’s pretty awesome buZZsaw BRAD! A side of the business I haven’t heard much about! How many face cord does 800 bundles represent?

amateur cutter and Sandhillbilly like this.
  8. Rickyblazin

Rickyblazin

Sounds like a good idea i should try asking my local gas station…i gave them some smoked ribs on Halloween so ive already got an in

amateur cutter and buZZsaw BRAD like this.